CSU faces host Hawaii tonight at 10 p.m. MT in the NCAA regional quarterfinals.
Dec. 2, 2011
NCAA regional quarterfinals
CSU at Hawaii
10 p.m. MT | Stan Sheriff Center (Honolulu, Hawaii)
CSU volleyball postseason guide (released Nov. 29)
CSU-Oregon box score
Fee-based live video streaming
Listen to free radio streaming
NCAA Tournament Central
Thursday night, in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, CSU proved it can compete with the nation’s best, knocking off 13th-ranked Oregon in five sets (24-26, 25-21, 25-21, 15-25, 15-10). The Rams will now face host Hawaii (ranked No. 3 in the latest AVCA Coaches Top-25 Poll) tonight, Dec. 2, at 7 p.m. local time (10 p.m. MT).
With Thursday’s win . . .
• CSU advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the fifth straight season. CSU has won its first-round match each season since 2007.
• CSU got its first ever win in Hawaii, previously going 0-9 in the Aloha State. The win also avenged the Rams’ loss to the Oregon Ducks in 1984, the only prior meeting.
• The Rams improved to 4-2 in five-set matches, including winning their two most recent (also at New Mexico on Nov. 12).
• CSU improved to 2-1 this season against ranked teams (CSU lost at then-No. 17 Oklahoma on Aug. 29 and beat then-No. 5 Nebraska on Sept. 2).
• Junior MB Megan Plourde, who leads the nation in blocks per set, tied a season high with 11 blocks. She now has 171 total blocks this season, sixth-most in program history, needing one to move into fifth place and six to reach fourth place. Her 163 block assists rank second in CSU’s record books, as she jumped ahead of Dre Downs, Summer Jennings, Mekena Barnes and her 2010 total on Thursday night.
• Izzy Gaulia shattered her previous high in digs (28) with 39 against the Ducks. It marks the 10th time in her career she has recorded 20-plus digs in a match. Only one player (Katelin Batten’s 24) has done it more often than Gaulia. She now has 489 digs on the season, moving into first place in CSU’s single-season record book.
With a win Friday, CSU would . . .
• Advance to the regional semifinals for the second time in three years, and the sixth time in program history.
• Return to Hawaii’s Stan Sheriff Center for the regional semifinals next weekend.
• Set a program record for highest-ranked opponent it has ever beaten on the road. The Rams beat No. 1 UCLA in 2000 on a neutral court, but the highest-ranked team CSU has ever beaten in a true road match is No. 9 BYU (1999) and No. 9 Florida (2000).
• Garner back-to-back wins over ranked opponents for the first time since sweeping No. 19 Utah and No. 14 BYU on consecutive nights, Oct. 5 and 6, 2001.
• Tie its season’s longest win streak of seven matches. Going in, the Rams have won six straight, 13 of 14 and 18 of 20.
• Snap Hawaii’s 25-match win streak dating back to Sept. 12.
• Earn its first win against the Rainbow Wahine, previously going 0-7.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Volleyball recap: CSU's memorable season ends...
Colorado State's record-breaking season came to an end Friday evening as the Rams fell to the No....
Volleyball NCAA Tournament Press Conference
No. 15-seeded Colorado State squares off against No. 2-seeded Texas on Friday afternoon at 3 p.m....
Postseason Guide: CSU volleyball set for...
After defeating Denver and Colorado during last week's NCAA sub-regional, the CSU volleyball team...
CSU's Culbert, Foss earn AVCA all-region...
For the second-straight season, Colorado State's Adrianna Culbert and Deedra Foss have been named...
Regional Semifinal watch party to be held at...
The CSU volleyball team is headed to Minneapolis for the Round of 16. Tickets, pep rally and...
Volleyball recap: Rams knock off Buffs to...
It was a marquee match between the two premier programs in the state of Colorado. It had the...
Volleyball recap: Snider guides Rams to 2nd...
No. 15 seeded Colorado State (30-2) relied on its three seniors as it knocked off the Denver...
Postseason Guide: No. 9 CSU volleyball set to...
The No. 9 Colorado State volleyball team is competing in the NCAA tournament for the 20th-straigh...