CSU faces host Hawaii tonight at 10 p.m. MT in the NCAA regional quarterfinals.
Dec. 2, 2011
NCAA regional quarterfinals
CSU at Hawaii
10 p.m. MT | Stan Sheriff Center (Honolulu, Hawaii)
CSU volleyball postseason guide (released Nov. 29)
CSU-Oregon box score
Fee-based live video streaming
Listen to free radio streaming
NCAA Tournament Central
Thursday night, in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, CSU proved it can compete with the nation’s best, knocking off 13th-ranked Oregon in five sets (24-26, 25-21, 25-21, 15-25, 15-10). The Rams will now face host Hawaii (ranked No. 3 in the latest AVCA Coaches Top-25 Poll) tonight, Dec. 2, at 7 p.m. local time (10 p.m. MT).
With Thursday’s win . . .
• CSU advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the fifth straight season. CSU has won its first-round match each season since 2007.
• CSU got its first ever win in Hawaii, previously going 0-9 in the Aloha State. The win also avenged the Rams’ loss to the Oregon Ducks in 1984, the only prior meeting.
• The Rams improved to 4-2 in five-set matches, including winning their two most recent (also at New Mexico on Nov. 12).
• CSU improved to 2-1 this season against ranked teams (CSU lost at then-No. 17 Oklahoma on Aug. 29 and beat then-No. 5 Nebraska on Sept. 2).
• Junior MB Megan Plourde, who leads the nation in blocks per set, tied a season high with 11 blocks. She now has 171 total blocks this season, sixth-most in program history, needing one to move into fifth place and six to reach fourth place. Her 163 block assists rank second in CSU’s record books, as she jumped ahead of Dre Downs, Summer Jennings, Mekena Barnes and her 2010 total on Thursday night.
• Izzy Gaulia shattered her previous high in digs (28) with 39 against the Ducks. It marks the 10th time in her career she has recorded 20-plus digs in a match. Only one player (Katelin Batten’s 24) has done it more often than Gaulia. She now has 489 digs on the season, moving into first place in CSU’s single-season record book.
With a win Friday, CSU would . . .
• Advance to the regional semifinals for the second time in three years, and the sixth time in program history.
• Return to Hawaii’s Stan Sheriff Center for the regional semifinals next weekend.
• Set a program record for highest-ranked opponent it has ever beaten on the road. The Rams beat No. 1 UCLA in 2000 on a neutral court, but the highest-ranked team CSU has ever beaten in a true road match is No. 9 BYU (1999) and No. 9 Florida (2000).
• Garner back-to-back wins over ranked opponents for the first time since sweeping No. 19 Utah and No. 14 BYU on consecutive nights, Oct. 5 and 6, 2001.
• Tie its season’s longest win streak of seven matches. Going in, the Rams have won six straight, 13 of 14 and 18 of 20.
• Snap Hawaii’s 25-match win streak dating back to Sept. 12.
• Earn its first win against the Rainbow Wahine, previously going 0-7.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Rams win seventh straight Mountain West title...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The 13th-ranked Colorado State Rams defeated the San Jose Spartans 3-0 on...
"Declare Your Major Day" a success at Colorado ...
Like many college freshmen, Albert Bimper wasn't sure where his academic path would lead when he ...
Rams add five talented players for 2016 season
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – With the 13th-ranked Colorado State Rams volleyball team currently...
Rams set to host San Jose State with league...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The No. 13 Colorado State Rams will host San Jose State on Thursday at 7 p....
Poletto named Mountain West Defensive Player of...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Sophomore middle blocker Alexandra Poletto has been named Mountain...
Rams sweep Lobos to move to 14-0 in Mountain...
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Alexandra Poletto provided nine blocks, including five solo stuffs, to ...
CSU tops Air Force, 3-1, behind 18 kills from...
USAFA, Colo. – Acacia Andrews tallied a career-high 18 kills as No. 15 Colorado State...
No. 15 Rams to face Air Force, New Mexico on...
The 15th-ranked Colorado State volleyball team will head back on the road for a pair of critical ...