Nov. 15, 2013
No. 10 Colorado State 3, Air Force 0
25-21, 25-20, 25-21
- CSU won its 25th consecutive match, tying a Mountain West record. Utah also won 25 straight matches in 2006. CSU’s previous high was 23, set in 2003.
- The 25-match winning streak is the second-longest active streak in the nation, trailing only Missouri (30).
- CSU has won 21 consecutive matches at Moby Arena, tied for second-best in program history and the third-longest active streak in the NCAA. Since the start of the 2011 season, CSU is 39-2 at home, the second-best winning percentage in the nation.
- With the victory, CSU clinched a share of the Mountain West title, the Rams’ fifth consecutive championship. The only other time a MW team has won five consecutive regular-season championships was from 2000-04 (CSU). The Rams have won 11 of the MW’s 14 regular-season titles. They can win the conference outright with a win Thursday at San Jose State or a Fresno State loss at Utah State Saturday.
- The Rams haven’t lost a regular season match since Oct. 25, 2012, a span of 33 straight contests. The streak is a program record and is the NCAA’s active leader.
Friday’s win also extends CSU’s program and Mountain West record for victories to start a season. CSU’s previous best start was 20-0, set in 2001.
- The victory is CSU’s 16th straight to begin Mountain West play, extending on a program record. The previous high was 14, when the 2003 squad went a perfect 14-0.
CSU is one of two undefeated teams in the nation. No. 7 Missouri is currently 30-0 after beating No. 5 Florida in Gainesville Friday night.
- The Rams are 41-1 all-time against Air Force. CSU dropped the initial meeting in 1982, but has since won 41 straight (38-0 under Hilbert), which is believed to be the third-longest active series win streak in the country.
- CSU has won 58 consecutive sets against Air Force, sweeping the Falcons each of the last 19 meetings dating back to 2005, and 31 of the last 32.
- Sophomore libero recorded 23 digs, the fifth-most in CSU history for a three-set match. For her career, Colaizzi has recorded 20 or more digs six times (all this seas), which ranks fifth in Rams history.
- Junior setter Deedra Foss tallied a career-high five service aces – including four during a 9-0 Set-2 run. Her previous best was four against Albany in 2011. Foss also added 44 assists and a match-high-tying four blocks.
- The Rams out-hit Air Force, .333 to .198. Samantha Peters had 12 kills on .476 hitting. Also in double figures for kills was Marlee Reynolds (match-high 13) and Michelle Lawrence (11).
- Set 1: Featuring 10 ties in the early going, CSU used a 4-0 run to break a 12-12 tie and give CSU its largest lead of the set at the time. The Rams would lead by at least two, and as many as six, for the remainder of the set. CSU hit .310, led by Samantha Peters’ five kills and three blocks.
- Set 2: Air Force jumped out to a 7-1 advantage, but CSU chipped away and took its first lead of the set by recording nine straight points. The run, which was the second-longest of the season, gave CSU a 14-10 advantage, which they held for the remainder of the set. Setter Deedra Foss had four aces during the run, and in the set, Michelle Lawrence had seven kills on nine swings (.778), as CSU hit .395 as a team.
- Set 3: Trailing 16-13, CSU used a 5-0 run, capped with a Jaime Colaizzi ace, to take an 18-16 advantage. It was CSU’s first lead since 2-1, and the Rams stayed in front for the remainder of the set.
- Initiated by the players, CSU recognized Air Force prior to the match in honor of Veteran’s Day by giving the team balloons, a cake and homemade cards.
- CSU will return to the court Thursday, making its final road trip of the regular season. The Rams will face San Jose State (Thursday) and second-place Fresno State (Saturday).
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Match notes: CSU to host Wyoming in regular...
The Colorado State Rams will host Wyoming on Tuesday night for their regular season finale. The...
Recap: CSU sweeps Air Force for 20th win of 2016
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The Colorado State Rams recorded 16 blocks as a team in a dominant...
Recap: CSU falls in five sets at Boise State
BOISE, Idaho – The Colorado State Rams dropped a five-set match at Boise State in a battle ...
Match notes: CSU to visit Boise State, host Air...
The CSU Rams will head to Boise, Idaho for a meeting with Boise State, in a matchup that will...
Poletto, Hillyer earn MW Player of the Week honors
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Colorado State’s starting middle blocker duo swept the...
Recap: Rams sweep Nevada in efficient team...
RENO, Nev. – Colorado State utilized a stellar all-around performance to sweep the Nevada...
Recap: Rams rally to beat San Diego State, 3-2
SAN DIEGO – Colorado State came from behind for the third match in a row to win 3-2 at San ...
CSU Volleyball adds four for 2017
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The Colorado State Rams volleyball team and Head Coach Tom Hilbert...