April 26, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Colorado State women's tennis team dropped its first-round match in the MW championships to second-seed No. 48 UNLV, 4-0, Thursday afternoon at the Aztec Tennis Center.
For the second year in a row, the Rams dropped a MW championship loss to the Rebels, this year in the first round.
The first point for UNLV Thursday evening came in doubles as the Rebels defeated Colorado State at No. 2 where Natalie Heffron and Lauren Mulhern dropped their match, 8-2, to UNLV's Aleksandra Josifoska and Manon de Lanlay.
The second loss in doubles was at the No. 1 position where Tori Arneson and Kaley Schultz were defeated, 8-4, by the Rebels' Nives Pavlovic and Lucia Batta.
The Rams' loss was UNLV's gain, the pair of victories tallied the Rebels' first point of the dual.
"Starting with the doubles, we played a lot higher level against UNLV this year," said Head Coach Jon Messick. "Last time we lost 8-2 in every slot and this time we were actually closer, winning twice as many games."
Continuing into singles, UNLV maintained the upper hand, or racquet, over the Rams, defeating them at Nos. 1, 5 and 6 positions in order to secure a quarterfinal slot in the MW championships.
"In the singles I think we were more competitive and most of the scores reflected that," said Messick "For instance, Natalie Heffron won her first set and then at four and five we had some close sets."
Despite close matches at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions, UNLV was able to shave four points off the Rams in order to advance past Colorado State in the tournament.
"We played a lot closer this time and we definitely got better since the last time we played," said Messick. "They are a nationally-ranked team and we had chances on the matches that were left on the courts which we didn't have last time."
No. 48 Second-Seeded UNLV 4, Seventh-Seeded Colorado State 0
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.Doubles
1. Nives Pavlovic/Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Tori Arneson/Kaley Schultz (CSU), 8-4
2. Aleksandra Josifoska/Manon de Lanlay (UNLV) def. Natalie Heffron/Lauren Mulhern (CSU), 8-2
3. Ella Bourchier/Anett Bako (UNLV) vs. Adriana Wojakowska/Veronika Wojakowska (CSU), 7-6 unfinished
1. No. 60 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Tori Arneson (CSU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Natalie Heffron (CSU) vs. No. 113 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV), 7-5, 1-3 unfinished
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) vs. Kaley Schultz (CSU), 6-3, 4-3 unfinished
4. Manon de Lanlay (UNLV) vs. Lauren Mulhern (CSU) , 6-4, 2-0 unfinished
5. Ella Bourchier (UNLV) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Anett Bako (UNLV) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU), 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 1, 5, 6