April 19, 2009
By Zak Gilbert
Athletic Media Relations
LARAMIE, Wyo. -- Colorado State concluded its regular season on a positive note Sunday, traveling to arch rival Wyoming to knock off the Cowgirls, 4-2.
The win gave CSU (8-12, 2-6 Mountain West) a perfect weekend, allowing the Rams to finish regular-season competition with a two-match winning streak, after the Rams turned away Air Force on Saturday night in Fort Collins.
CSU also overcame a difficult schedule, having secured its Air Force victory late Saturday night, then turning around on little sleep to travel an hour north to Laramie for a noon match with the Cowgirls. The Rams' original schedule called for an outdoor match against the Falcons on Saturday morning, but weather moved the match indoors, and CSU's indoor home facility was occupied until Saturday night.
What's more, with the win over Wyoming (7-15, 1-7 MWC), CSU clinched the seventh seed in the Mountain West championship tournament, which begins this week in Albuquerque, N.M. A loss to Wyoming Sunday would've meant the Rams had to play a first-day match for the right to meet the conference's No. 1 seed, UNLV. Instead, CSU will play the No. 2 seed, TCU, on Thursday morning at 10 a.m.
Laura Neal (No. 2), Tori Arneson (No. 3), Greer Satherlie (No. 4) and Caitlin Fluegge (No. 6) secured singles victories Sunday to give CSU its fourth and final team point, clinching the win over Wyoming. One singles and one doubles match did not finish, because prior to the match, both coaches agreed to end competition once the clinching team points were registered in both doubles and singles competitions.
CSU now makes preparations for a return to Albuquerque for the conference tournament. The Rams and Horned Frogs (13-10, 7-1 MWC), the No. 28 team in the nation, kick off the day's full schedule Thursday at 10 a.m. at the Jerry Cline Tennis Center. The winner advances on Friday to meet the winner of Thursday's San Diego State-Utah matchup.
Sunday's results: CSU 4, Wyoming 2
1. Sarah Summerfield/Carly Van Hollen (WY) def. Laura Neal/Lauren Strasburger (CSU) 8-3
2. Rebecca Berger/Jamie Nelson (WY) def. Tori Arneson/Caitlin Fluegge (CSU) 8-4
3. Carolina Chaix/Calli Pass (WY) vs Greer Satherlie/Kirsten Stople (CSU) DNF
1. Sarah Summerfield (WY) def. Lauren Strasburger (CSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Laura Neal (CSU) def. Rebecca Berger (WY) 7-5, 6-3, 6-4
3. Tori Arneson (CSU) def. Carly Van Hollen (WY) 6-3, 3-6, 4-6
4. Greer Satherlie (CSU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY) 6-1, 7-5
5. Carolina Chaix (CSU) vs Kirsten Stople (CSU) DNF
6. Caitlin Fluegge (CSU) def. Karen Wykert (WY) 6-0, 6-2