April 14, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The Colorado State women's tennis team was defeated Saturday evening at the Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility by a dual score of 7-0 to conference-rival Wyoming.
The victory over CSU pushed the Pokes to a record of 12-8, 3-3 MW, while forcing the Rams back to 5-13, 0-6 MW.
"On every court we are competitive point to point we just need to take it to the next level," said Head Coach Jon Messick. "They are a nationally ranked team we are playing against and we aren't getting blown off the court, we are competitive from one point to the next."
In doubles, Wyoming quickly swept in to tally victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. At the No. 2 position, the Rams continued to battle, forcing their match to a tie-breaking decision in order to defeat the Pokes, 8-7 (5).
Wyoming maintained domination on the courts as the singles matches began. The Pokes claimed straight victories at the Nos. 1, 3, and 4 positions.
Then at No. 2 singles, Natalie Heffron shoed a glimpse of hope for the Rams as she forced her match to a third-set tie-breaking decision before eventually falling, 6-2, 3-6, 10-8.
The final two matches left on the courts were Veronika Wojakowska and Emese Kardhordo.
Wojakowska was first to finish, falling in a close 6-2, 6-4 loss. Kardhordo also fell short after being defeated 7-6(4), 6-4 to Wyoming's Silviya Zhelyazkova.
"The fact that it is a long match means there is a lot of competitive tennis going on," said Messick.
After concluding season play at home Saturday, the Rams will return to the courts Friday to face Air Force in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Colorado State 0, Wyoming 7
Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility
Fort Collins, Colo. | April 14, 2012
1. Popovici/Synkova (UW) def. Arneson/Schultz (CSU) 8-3
2. Kardhordo/Mulhern (CSU) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (UW) 8-7 (5)
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (UW) def. A.Wojakowska/V.Wojakowska (CSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Tori Arneson (CSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
3. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Lauren Mulhern (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU)6-2, 6-4
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Emese Kardhordo (CSU) 7-6 (4), 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4*, 2, 5, 6