April 8, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The Colorado State women's tennis team dropped its second match in as many days to a conference opponent, Sunday, falling 6-1, in a rare Easter match to the TCU Horned Frogs at the Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility.
The loss to TCU followed Saturday's dual against conference foe, New Mexico (8-9, 1-4 MW), in which the Rams (4-12, 0-4 MW) fell short, 4-3.
In doubles, Colorado State was defeated at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions, while pulling out a win at the No. 3. Sisters, Veronika and Adrian Wojakowska were able to halt the Lobos from sweeping the Rams in doubles as they breezed by their New Mexico pair, 8-2.
Singles was another story for CSU, the Rams were able to come back and defeat New Mexico on three of the six courts. Unfortunately after dropping the doubles point to the Lobos, the victories were not enough.
On two of Colorado State's three wins, the Rams came back after dropping their first sets. At No. 3, Kaley Schultz was able to come back after dropping her first set, 6-1, to defeat New Mexico's Kristen Eggleston in the final two sets, 6-0, 6-2.
Much like Schultz's match, at No. 6 Veronika Wojakowska dropped her first set, 6-1, only to come back and defeat her Lobo opponent, 6-2, 6-3, in the final sets of the match.
Returning to the courts just one day after, the Rams took on their second conference opponent in as many days, facing TCU on Sunday morning.
In doubles, Colorado State was unable to come through, as they were defeated in all three positions.
With the dual score now at 1-0 in favor of TCU, the Horned Frogs (13-5, 5-0 MW) maintained momentum as they went on to defeat the Rams (4-13, 0-5 MW) in five of the six singles positions.
Now 5-0 in conference play, TCU maintains the No. 1 position in the Mountain West standings. The win also moves the Horned Frogs into their seventh straight victory while forcing the Rams to their third straight loss.
First to fall for Colorado State was Tori Arneson followed by Veronika Wojakowska and Natalie Heffron, clinching TCU's victory over the Rams.
Closing out the dual was Kaley Schultz, falling in straight sets followed by Adriana Wojakowska.
Last on the courts was Emese Kardhordo. Kardhordo was Colorado State's last opportunity of hope, after winning her first set in a close 7-5 decision, she was able to maintain her momentum against TCU's Kelsey Sundaram in the second set to notch the Rams' sole victory of the day.
Colorado State will return to the courts Friday and Saturday to face off against Northern Colorado and Wyoming in their final home match of the season. Saturday's match will be a special senior day, recognizing those in their final season with the Rams.
Colorado State 1, TCU 6
Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility
Fort Collins, Colo.
April 8, 2012
1. Nichols/Smith (TCU) def. Arneson/Schultz (CSU) 8-2
2. Sundaram/Denti (TCU) def. Kardhordo/Mulhern (CSU) 8-2
3. Mastromarino/Parajova (TCU) def. A. Wojakowska/ V. Wojakowska (CSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Olivia Smith (TCU) def. Tori Arneson (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Frederica Denti (TCU) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Millie Nichols (TCU) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Gabi Barbosa (TCU) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Emese Kardhordo (CSU) def. Kelsey Sundaram (TCU) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2*, 3, 5, 6
New Mexico 4, Colorado State 3
1. BEZDICKOVA, Michaela/SABLINA, Maria (UNM) def. ARNESON, Tori/SCHULTZ, Kaley (CSU) 8-6
2. EGGLESTON, Kristin/OLDANI, Michaela (UNM) def. KARDHORDO, Emese/MULHERN, Lauren (CSU) 8-5
3. WOJAKOWSKA, Adriana/WOJAKOWSKA, Vernoka (CSU) def. GRBAC, Nikolina/CAFFEY, Alyssa (UNM) 8-2
1. Bezdickova, Michaela (UNM) def. Arneson, Tori (CSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sablina, Maria (UNM) def. Heffron, Natalie (CSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Schultz, Kaley (CSU) def. Eggleston, Kristin (UNM) 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Mulhern, Lauren (CSU) def. Grbac, Nikolina (UNM) 6-4, 6-3
5. WOJAKOWSKA, Vernika (CSU) def. Caffey, Alyssa (UNM) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Oldani, Michaela (UNM) def. Wojakowska, Adriana (CSU) 7-5, 6-3
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Annual fall tennis tournament renamed to honor ...
CSU's annual fall tennis tournament has been renamed the Jon Messick Invitational in honor of the...
Jarod Camerota Weekly Update #1
We are very excited about this season and have many new faces! As most of you know, longtime...
Recap: Rams see improvement at Air Force...
The Colorado State women’s tennis team traveled south this past weekend to participate in...
Preview: CSU continues fall season at Air Force
The Rams travel to the Air Force Academy this weekend for their second tournament of the fall...
Recap: Rams cap Colorado Invite with...
The Colorado State women’s tennis team capped off the Colorado Invite on Saturday with five...
Recap: Rams battle during Day 2 of Colorado Invite
The Colorado State women’s tennis team earned six singles match victories on Friday, Day 2 ...
Recap: Rams earn pair of doubles wins during...
Colorado State began its 2016-17 tennis season on Thursday, competing in the Colorado Invite. The...
Preview: CSU tennis opens fall season in Boulder
Colorado State begins its 2016-17 season this week at the Colorado Invite in Boulder, Colo. The...