April 8, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The Colorado State women's tennis team dropped its second match in as many days to a conference opponent, Sunday, falling 6-1, in a rare Easter match to the TCU Horned Frogs at the Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility.
The loss to TCU followed Saturday's dual against conference foe, New Mexico (8-9, 1-4 MW), in which the Rams (4-12, 0-4 MW) fell short, 4-3.
In doubles, Colorado State was defeated at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions, while pulling out a win at the No. 3. Sisters, Veronika and Adrian Wojakowska were able to halt the Lobos from sweeping the Rams in doubles as they breezed by their New Mexico pair, 8-2.
Singles was another story for CSU, the Rams were able to come back and defeat New Mexico on three of the six courts. Unfortunately after dropping the doubles point to the Lobos, the victories were not enough.
On two of Colorado State's three wins, the Rams came back after dropping their first sets. At No. 3, Kaley Schultz was able to come back after dropping her first set, 6-1, to defeat New Mexico's Kristen Eggleston in the final two sets, 6-0, 6-2.
Much like Schultz's match, at No. 6 Veronika Wojakowska dropped her first set, 6-1, only to come back and defeat her Lobo opponent, 6-2, 6-3, in the final sets of the match.
Returning to the courts just one day after, the Rams took on their second conference opponent in as many days, facing TCU on Sunday morning.
In doubles, Colorado State was unable to come through, as they were defeated in all three positions.
With the dual score now at 1-0 in favor of TCU, the Horned Frogs (13-5, 5-0 MW) maintained momentum as they went on to defeat the Rams (4-13, 0-5 MW) in five of the six singles positions.
Now 5-0 in conference play, TCU maintains the No. 1 position in the Mountain West standings. The win also moves the Horned Frogs into their seventh straight victory while forcing the Rams to their third straight loss.
First to fall for Colorado State was Tori Arneson followed by Veronika Wojakowska and Natalie Heffron, clinching TCU's victory over the Rams.
Closing out the dual was Kaley Schultz, falling in straight sets followed by Adriana Wojakowska.
Last on the courts was Emese Kardhordo. Kardhordo was Colorado State's last opportunity of hope, after winning her first set in a close 7-5 decision, she was able to maintain her momentum against TCU's Kelsey Sundaram in the second set to notch the Rams' sole victory of the day.
Colorado State will return to the courts Friday and Saturday to face off against Northern Colorado and Wyoming in their final home match of the season. Saturday's match will be a special senior day, recognizing those in their final season with the Rams.
Colorado State 1, TCU 6
Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility
Fort Collins, Colo.
April 8, 2012
1. Nichols/Smith (TCU) def. Arneson/Schultz (CSU) 8-2
2. Sundaram/Denti (TCU) def. Kardhordo/Mulhern (CSU) 8-2
3. Mastromarino/Parajova (TCU) def. A. Wojakowska/ V. Wojakowska (CSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Olivia Smith (TCU) def. Tori Arneson (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Frederica Denti (TCU) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Millie Nichols (TCU) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Gabi Barbosa (TCU) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Emese Kardhordo (CSU) def. Kelsey Sundaram (TCU) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2*, 3, 5, 6
New Mexico 4, Colorado State 3
1. BEZDICKOVA, Michaela/SABLINA, Maria (UNM) def. ARNESON, Tori/SCHULTZ, Kaley (CSU) 8-6
2. EGGLESTON, Kristin/OLDANI, Michaela (UNM) def. KARDHORDO, Emese/MULHERN, Lauren (CSU) 8-5
3. WOJAKOWSKA, Adriana/WOJAKOWSKA, Vernoka (CSU) def. GRBAC, Nikolina/CAFFEY, Alyssa (UNM) 8-2
1. Bezdickova, Michaela (UNM) def. Arneson, Tori (CSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sablina, Maria (UNM) def. Heffron, Natalie (CSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Schultz, Kaley (CSU) def. Eggleston, Kristin (UNM) 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Mulhern, Lauren (CSU) def. Grbac, Nikolina (UNM) 6-4, 6-3
5. WOJAKOWSKA, Vernika (CSU) def. Caffey, Alyssa (UNM) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Oldani, Michaela (UNM) def. Wojakowska, Adriana (CSU) 7-5, 6-3
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
CSU tennis announces Tennis with the Rams...
We are happy to announce our annual winter fundraiser, TENNIS WITH THE RAMS! It's an intimate...
Jarod Camerota Weekly Update #9
The ladies are very busy with finals week! They are all looking forward to some rest and tennis...
Jarod Camerota Weekly Update #8
Hey Rams! It seems our first player intro series was a real hit! We continue it with senior...
Jarod Camerota Weekly Update #7
Welcome to our first Player Introduction Series! We begin with our only international player,...
Recap: Rams wrap up fall action in Las Vegas
The Colorado State women’s tennis team capped its fall season over the weekend,...
Preview: Rams close fall season in Las Vegas
The Rams will visit UNLV this weekend for the Rebel Invitational, their final competition of the ...
Camerota signs 1st signing class
Emma Corwin, Emily Luetschwager and Priscilla Palermo each signed their National Letter of Intent...
Jarod Camerota Weekly Update #4
The Jon Messick Invitational was a success! We had great weather and a lot of fans in attendance....