Sept. 25, 2013
After facing a non-conference schedule that has tested the team numerous times this year, Colorado State is ready to begin its first Mountain West campaign. The Rams return home to play just the second and third matches of the year in front of their home fans when they take on rivals Air Force and Wyoming.
Ready to continue its first season in program history, the Colorado State women's soccer team is not backing away from some of the premier programs in the sport. The Rams have brought in five transfer students, including two Fort Collins locals, Megan Speed and Jami Vaughn, with NCAA Division-I experience.
Scouting Report on Air Force
- Air Force comes into the match at 1-6-1 and is 0-2-1 playing in true road matches.
- Air Force and Colorado State have played one common opponent in non-conference in Grand Canyon University. The Falcons defeated the 'Lopes 1-0 while the Rams lost 1-0 to GCU.
- The Falcons have scored four goals while they have given up 11 goals.
- Air Force was selected to finish 10th in the Mountain West Preseason Coach's Poll
Scouting Report on Wyoming
- Having lost its previous four matches, Wyoming now has a 3-5-1 record heading into Mountain West play.
- The Cowgirls have scored multiple goals in four matches this year and are 3-1 when accomplishing this feat.
- Wyoming has been particularly tough this year playing in road or neutral matches, boasting a 3-0-1 record away from home.
- Averaging 1.56 goals per match, the Cowgirls rank first in the Mountain West and are third in shots per match with 12.67.
Air Force: While just a freshman, Ahsley Greco has made sure to make an immediate impact for the Falcons. Greco has assisted on each of the four goals that Air Force has scored this year, which places her third in the Mountain West in asssists.
Wyoming: The Cowgirls are led by their standout senior forward Lucie McDowell. With five goals this year, McDowell leads the Mountain West and is also second in the conference with 3.38 shots per match.
A pair of wins will...
- Give Colorado State its first-ever program victories over a division-I opponent.
- Give the Rams their first wins ever in Mountain West play.
- Improve Head Coach Bill Hempen's career record to 279-191-46. He currently ranks No. 19 among Division I active coaches in all-time wins.
Last time out
Playing in the Doublewood Inn Classic in Fargo, N.D., the Colorado State Rams competed admirably but couldn't return home with the results that they had wanted.
In the first match, the Rams played a very even match against North Dakota State, but a goal in the 42nd minute ended up being the decider as CSU couldn't find the back of the net.
Strong defense led the way for CSU in the second match against SIU - Edwardsville, as the two teams played to a draw after 110 minutes of scoreless action.
Sunday's match against Border War rival will be an Orange Out for the Rams. Each year the university's programs choose a date to celebrate CSU's past history with Aggie Day. Donning the pumpkin and alfalfa colors the Colorado A&M Aggies wore, the CSU soccer program will be participating in this tradition for the first time.
Fort Collins Soccer Complex - Home of the Rams
Located northeast of the Colorado State campus, FCSC serves as the Home of Rams Soccer. CSU's pitch is at the far northeast corner of the complex.
Directions: Take I-25 north to Exit 271, Mountain Vista. Turn west (left) on Mountain Vista and then north (right) on the frontage road. Continue 1.5 miles on the frontage road, crossing Richards Lake Rd. Address: 3955 NW Frontage Rd.
After two home matches to begin the conference season, the Rams will travel to San Diego, Calif. to take on preseason Mountain West favorite San Diego State on Oct. 4. Colorado State will then return home for an Oct. 6 showdown against the New Mexico Lobos, which was selected to finish second in the Mountain West in the preseason poll.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Soccer recap: Colorado State falls to San Jos&e...
Colorado State women’s soccer wrapped up the opening weekend of Mountain West play with a 2...
Soccer recap: Rams draw with Bulldogs in MW opener
The Colorado State women’s soccer team (3-5-2) notched a late 2-2 draw Friday vs. Fresno...
Soccer match notes: Rams host Bulldogs,...
Colorado State's opens up Mountain West play this weekend, hosting Fresno State (Friday) and San ...
Soccer recap: Rams suffer 2-0 road loss vs....
The Colorado State women’s soccer team suffered a 2-0 setback on Sunday afternoon against...
Soccer recap: Rams score late in 2OT thriller...
It took 110 minutes of action under the lights but the Colorado State women’s soccer team...
Soccer match notes: Rams close non-conference...
The Colorado State women's soccer program finishes non-conference action this weekend with a pair...
Soccer recap: Nelson scores twice, Marconi once...
The Colorado State women's soccer team picked up a 3-1 road win over in-state rival Northern...
Soccer recap: Rams fall to Wildcats in close...
The Colorado State women’s soccer team dropped a close match, 2-1, to Northwestern on...