Dec. 31, 2013
Colorado State at San Diego State | Game 12
Jan. 2 | 7 p.m. MT | San Diego, Calif. | Viejas Arena (12,414)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS|
Colorado State (8-3, 0-0 MW) travels to San Diego State (3-7, 0-0 MW) on Thursday in the first of 18 conference games. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT at Viejas Arena (12,414).
Off to their best start in 12 years, the Rams are looking to keep the win streak alive in San Diego. CSU returns to the court with fresh legs after a 11-day hiatus, while the Aztecs closed their non-conference campaign on Dec. 30, in the championship game of the Surf 'N Slam tournament.
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women's basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second season with the Rams.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the Mountain West Network at CSURams.com/videos.
About San Diego State
- Though it appears the Aztecs have fallen on tough times through the first third of the season, the team has actually suffered some very close losses. Six games have been decided by four points or less, and SDSU has won two of those contests.
- San Diego State is 2-4 at Viejas Arena this season. The Aztecs lost their most recent bout to NC State (RV/RV) on Monday, 84-67. SDSU shot 50.0 percent and four players tallied double figures, but it wasn't enough to overcome 13 three pointers from the Wolfpack.
- SDSU leads the MW in field-goal percentage (.433) and rebounding defense (34.8).
- A transfer from Louisville most recently, and North Carolina previously, Cierra Warren is back home in California for her senior season. She leads the MW in field-goal percentage at an impressive .604, ranking 24th in the country. The 6-4 center also leads her team in scoring at 13.9 ppg, and blocks with nine on the year. She has struggled at the line, however, shooting just .438.
- Defensively, Khristina Hunter leads the Aztecs on the glass, averaging 5.1 rebounds. Warren and Deajanae Scurry follow closely behind with 4.9 apiece.
- Averaging 2.5 steals per game, point guard Ahjalee Harvey ranks 63rd in the country and second in the Mountain West. She has missed the past two contests with an injury.
Series vs. the Aztecs
- Thursday's meeting is the 46th game between the two schools. San Diego State has the upper hand in the series, with a 27-18 record vs. the Rams all-time.
- The Rams are 5-16 in San Diego in the series. Colorado State last won in Viejas Arena on Feb. 2, 2011.
- The Aztecs are on a two-game series win streak, besting the Rams twice last season.
A win will...
- Extend the Rams' win streak to five games overall, and four games on the road. CSU is 3-0 on the road this season.
- Tie the Rams' longest win streak since the 2010-11 season, when CSU won five in a row during non-conference action.
- Open league play with a road win for the first time since the 2006-07 season, when the Rams defeated Air Force in the MW opener in Colorado Springs.
Last time at San Diego State (Feb. 13, 2013)
San Diego State got the better of Colorado State, defeating the Rams, 60-44, at Viejas Arena.
Colorado State fell to 7-15 overall, with a 3-6 record in league play, while SDSU improved to 18-5 and 9-1 in the Mountain West.
CSU played a solid 10 minutes to begin the game, leading by as many as four points, but the first-place San Diego State Aztecs had an answer. They spent the next five minutes on a 16-0 run, transferring the lead to their favor, 31-18.
Colorado State responded early in the second stanza on a 9-0 run, cutting the Aztecs lead to just one point with 12:55 remaining. San Diego State then countered with an 8-0 run, and CSU could never recover.
Meghan Heimstra tallied her fourth game of the year in double figures with 15 points, and Caitlin Duffy joined her, with 13. Sam Martin recorded her third game of the year in double figures on the defensive end, with 13 rebounds, tying a career high.
Heimstra was also impressive on the glass, registering seven on the night before fouling out with 2:20 left to play.
SDSU's Chelsea Hopkins, who averages 16.3 points per game in league play, was held to just 11. The Aztecs 60 points were the lowest they've scored on the year since the first round at CSU.
Colorado State is back home looking for a victory vs. New Mexico on Jan. 5. Tipoff at Moby Arena is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Game notes: CSU hosts in-state rival Denver...
Colorado State (5-3) continues its home stretch Thursday vs. Denver (2-6) at Moby Arena (8,745). ...
Colorado State vs. Cal Poly postgame notes from Moby Arena on Dec. 21, 2014. Final score: CSU 65,...
Women's basketball recap: Rams rout 'Rockers to...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Colorado State (5-3) returns home with an emphatic victory of South Dakota ...
Game notes: CSU returns home to begin 4-game...
Colorado State (4-3) begins four-game home stretch Tuesday vs. South Dakota Mines (3-5) at Moby...
Women's basketball recap: CSU falls to BYU ...
Poor shooting early on plagued the Colorado State women's basketball team Saturday at Energy...
Game notes: CSU meets BYU in Salt Lake City
Colorado State (4-2) wraps up its four-game road stretch Saturday vs. BYU (4-3) in Salt Lake City...
Women's basketball recap: Rams earn first...
The Colorado State women's basketball team earned its first road victory of the season Wednesday ...
Game notes: CSU looks for road win at Drake
Colorado State (3-2) travels east to Des Moines, Iowa, to take on the Drake Bulldogs (3-3)...