Dec. 27, 2012
CSU vs. Providence | Dec. 29 | 1 p.m. MT | Bronx, N.Y. | Rose Hill Gym (3,200)
CSU vs. Lafayette/Fordham | Dec. 30 | 11/1 p.m. MT | Bronx, N.Y. | Rose Hill Gym (3,200)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||PROVIDENCE FRIARS|
Colorado State (3-7) travels to Bronx, N.Y., for the Fordham Holiday Classic on Dec. 29-30.
CSU will play Providence (3-8) in the first round, tipping-off at 1 p.m. MT. on Dec. 29. Following the conclusion of the first game, the Rams will play either Fordham (7-4) or Lafayette (4-7) in the consolation game at 11 a.m. MT, or the championship game at 1 p.m. on Dec. 30.
All three teams joining Colorado State in The Bronx are coming off a win at home before the Christmas holiday. Here's a look at each opponent's last game:
- Providence vs. Rhode Island W, 78-52
- Lafayette vs. St. Francis (NY) W, 66-63\
- Fordham vs. Morgan State W, 72-56
This is the program's second tournament in New York, having participated in the Red Storm Christmas Invite on Dec. 29-30, 1995. CSU was victorious, defeating St. John's and James Madison for the tournament crown.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The games will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Providence
- Providence will be the first opponent CSU faces in the tournament on Saturday. Coming into the matchup, the Friars are 3-8, with all three of their wins at home.
- The Friars snapped a four-game losing streak, picking up their third victory on Dec. 22 vs. in-state foe Rhode Island, 78-52. Providence shot 41.5 percent, and saw five players tally double figures.
- Symone Roberts leads the Friars offensively, registering 14.3 points per game. She is followed by Tori Rule, who averages 11.8 points. Defensively Brianna Edwards pulls down 8.5 rebounds per contest.
- As of the last NCAA stats release on Dec. 16, the Friars fall in the top 100 in just one stat category. The teams averages 15.0 turnovers per contest, ranking 46th among Division-I schools.
- Individually, senior Symone Roberts is 29th in the country in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.21), 36th in steals per game (3.22) and 69th in assists (4.7).
- Providence is led by Susan Robinson Fruchtl, in her first season with the Friars. She joined the Friars after five seasons at St. Francis, where she compiled a 74-83 record.
Scouting Report on Lafayette
- Lafayette will play Fordham on Dec. 29. The Leopards most recently earned their fourth win of the season over St. Francis on Dec. 21 at home, 66-63. Led by Danielle Fiacco's 20 points, LC had four players record double-digits in the game.
- Three of the Leopards four wins were at home this season. The team has one neutral site win in Bethlehem, Pa., vs. Wagner (64-45).
- As of Dec. 17 the Leopards are seventh in the nation in blocks per game, averaging 6.5. The 6-foot, 7-inch Fiacco is fifth individually, with 3.9 denials per contest.
- Fiacco also ranks 17th in the country in double-doubles, with five so far this year. She is 61st in rebounds per game with 9.6.
- Emily Homan leads the team in scoring with 11.1 points per contest. She is followed by Fiacco with 10.5 points per matchup.
Scouting Report on Fordham
- Host school Fordham will play Lafayette on Dec. 29. It will be the team's first game in 13 days, having last played defeated Morgan State, 72-56, on Dec. 16.
- Also nicknamed the Rams, Fordham and CSU are two of four Division-I schools with the horned-mascot name. The other two are Rhode Island and Virginia Commonwealth.
- Fordham is 4-1 at home with its only loss to Stony Brook on Dec. 8. Saturday's game vs. Lafayette will be the Rams' fourth-consecutive home matchup at Rose Hill Gym.
- Fordham is a defensive-minded team, allowing just 51.1 points per game, which ranks 25th in the country. The Rams commit an average of 13.3 fouls per contest, ranking 20th in the nation, and they allow opponents to shoot a .252 field-goal percentage from beyond the arc, ranking 49th.
- Junior Erin Rooney leads Fordham with 14.3 points per game, followed by graduate student Marah Strickland with 12.7. Both players rank in the top 25 in D-I, in free-throw percentage with Stickland shooting .912 from the line and Rooney at .896.
- Samantha Clark leads the team defensively, pulling down 6.6 rebounds per matchup.
Series vs. tournament opponents
This is the first meeting between CSU and all three potential opponents at the Fordham Holiday Classic.
This will also be Head Coach Ryun Williams first time challenging each of these teams from the East.
A win will...
Give CSU its first victory away from Moby Arena this season. The Rams are 0-4 outside of Fort Collins.
Mark the fourth non-conference win this season, tying last year's pre-league win record. Last season the Rams were 4-11 heading into MW play.
Colorado State will celebrate the New Year at home before hosting South Dakota Tech on Jan. 4. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Mountain West announces academic all-conference...
A record number of 104 Colorado State student-athletes earned Academic All-Mountain West...
Rams announce completed 2015-16 schedule
Head coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team released the...
CSU women’s hoops announces MW slate
For the second consecutive season the Colorado State women’s basketball squad will open the...
Gerber, Newton to attend NCAA Career in Sports ...
Colorado State track & field all-conference recipient Stephanie Gerber and women's basketball...
Space remaining for girl's basketball summer camps
The Colorado State women's basketball program is hosting two individual youth summer camps in...
Newton, De Ciman honored by CSU's Black/African...
Colorado State women's basketball star AJ Newton and men's basketball standout Joe De Ciman will ...
Williams adds Kantzy to fall roster
Women's basketball head coach Ryun Williams on Wednesday announced his second signee during the...
CSU announces addition of Kelemen to 2015-16...
Head Coach Ryun Williams on Friday announced the addition of Kincsö Kelemen to the Colorado ...