Dec. 18, 2012
Colorado State vs. Denver | Game 10
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||DENVER PIONEERS|
Colorado State (3-6) hosts in-state rival Denver (4-6) at Moby Arena (8,745) Thursday. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. MT.
The Pioneers are visiting Fort Collins after a tough loss at Montana on Sunday. DU cut a 10-point deficit down to two in the final 2 minutes, but was unable to complete the comeback, falling 58-56.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Denver
- Led by sophomore Morgan Van Riper-Rose, the Pioneers are 44th in the nation in three-point field-goal percentage at .356. Individually, Van Riper-Rose averages 2.4 treys per game, shooting 43.6 percent from beyond the arc.
- Senior Emiko Smith is boasting an impressive 2.85 assist-to-turnover ratio, ranking seventh in Division-I. This season she has 57 assists to just 20 turnovers.
- Van Riper-Rose leads the team in scoring with 15.9 per contest. Junior Maiya Michel pulls down a team-high 7.8 rebounds per matchup.
- Denver is led by first year head coach Kerry Cremeans, a former associate head coach at Auburn. She brings with her 18 years of coaching experience in the SEC and Big-Ten at the assistant level.
- Even with the new coaching staff, Ram fans will recognize a familar face at the other end of the court. Abby Waner, a Colorado standout that played collegiately at Duke, was the Rams' football sideline reporter in 2010. She also spent the past four years as an analyst with The Mtn.
- DU has played three common opponents with the Rams, each with the same result:
Rams Pioneers Opponent Date H/A Result Date H/A Result Montana State 11/11/12 H L, 58-53 11/13/12 H L, 73-55 UNC 11/13/12 H W, 56-43 11/29/12 H W, 57-46 Colorado 12/05/12 A L, 72-46 12/11/12 H L, 83-63
Series vs. the Pioneers
- Thursday's meeting between Colorado State and Denver will be the 24th game between the two schools. This is Head Coach Ryun Williams first contest vs. the Pioneers.
- The Rams are 15-8 overall vs. DU, with a 10-3 record on the Moby floor. After a 12-year hiatus, the two teams renewed their rivalry in 2003. Since then, CSU is in a 2-2 vs. the Pioneers in Fort Collins.
Last time at Denver (Nov. 23, 2011)
Colorado State needed a steal and three points with 1.4 seconds left, but was unable to capitalize as the Rams fell to Denver, 64-61, at Magness Arena.
CSU (1-4) had an eight-point lead, but a relentless DU (4-0) team was able to tie the game with 6:11 remaining in the contest. The Rams regained the lead, but the Pioneers tied it again and took the lead with less than two minutes to go. Sam Martin kept the Rams alive, tying the score at 58 with 23.5 seconds remaining, but they were forced to send Denver to the line to regain possession. The Pioneers hit the free throws they needed to hit, sealing the win.
Martin finally seemed to find her groove after a rough start to the season. She registered her fifth career double-double with a career-high 28 points and a career-best 13 rebounds in the contest.
Colorado State quickly found itself in a 12-point deficit midway through the first half as the team had trouble getting their shots to fall. Mestdagh then sparked a Rams comeback with just over five minutes remaining, closing out the first stanza on a 17-4 run, giving them a two-point lead at the half.
Freshman Kara Spotton sustained an eye injury early in the game, forcing her to sit out for the rest of the matchup. Meghan Heimstra also missed significant playing time, receiving her fourth personal foul with over 11 minutes left in the contest.
A win over DU will...
- Give CSU their second-straight win over DU at Moby Arena. The series is knotted at 2-2 over the past four meetings in Moby.
- Mark the fourth non-conference win this season, tying last year's pre-league win record. Last season the Rams were 4-11 heading into MW play.
- Begin a second win-streak for the Rams this season. They previously won two games in a row in mid-November vs. Northern Colorado and Seattle.
- Colorado State will enjoy a short break for some time at home before traveling to Bronx, N.Y., for the Fordham Holiday Classic on Dec. 29-30.
- CSU will play Providence in the first round, tipping-off at 1 p.m. MT. on Dec. 29.
- Following the conclusion of the first game, the Rams will play either Fordham or Lafayette in the consolation game at 11 a.m. MT, or the championship game at 1 p.m. on Dec. 30.
- This is the Rams' second tournament in The Big Apple, having participated in the Red Storm Christmas Invite on Dec. 29-30, 1995. CSU was victorious, defeating St. John's and James Madison for the tournament crown.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Women's Basketball Recap: Rams drop home opener...
In a tough, defensive atmosphere, the Colorado State Rams (0-1) suffered a heartbreaking loss in ...
Women's basketball recap: Ryder leads Rams to...
After overcoming shaky start, the Colorado State Rams (2-1) proved to be too much for the...
Rams open 2014-15 campaign vs. Hawai'i Friday
Colorado State (0-0) welcomes Hawai'i (0-0) to tip-off the regular season. Friday's game is...
CSU women's hoops signs Kaiser for 2015
Colorado State women's basketball Head Coach Ryun Williams on Wednesday announced that Callie...
CSU receiving vote in AP Top 25 preseason poll
The Colorado State women's basketball team is receiving one vote in the AP Top 25 preseason poll,...
Women's basketball recap: CSU looks strong ...
In its first and only tune-up before the 2014-15 season tips off, the Colorado State women's...
Game notes: Rams host Metro State in preseason ...
The Colorado State women's basketball team has been practicing since the beginning of October and...
CSU men's and women's basketball to host tipoff...
On Wednesday, fans will get a sneak peek of the upcoming season Colorado State men's and women's ...