Dec. 6, 2013
Colorado State at Denver | Game 9
Dec. 8 | 1 p.m. MT | Denver, Colo. | Magness Arena (7,200)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||DENVER PIONEERS|
Colorado State (5-3, 0-0 MW) is on the road for the final time in 2013, Sunday, to challange in-state rival Denver (1-6, 0-0 Summit). Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. MT at Magness Arena (7,200).
The Rams suffered a 50-48 loss to the Pioneers at home last season, and just like they did vs. Loyola Marymount on Thursday, they're looking to right ship with a win on Sunday.
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second season with the Rams.
The games will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via Pioneer Vision at DenverPioneers.com.
- DU has struggled early this season with just one victory over Air Force, 72-64, on Nov. 16.
- The Pioneers have suffered three losses of five points or less: at home vs. Wyoming (73-70) and UC Irvine (78-73), and most recently on the road at Northern Colorado (74-71).
- In the loss at UNC on Wednesday, the Pioneers comeback attempt was spoiled by 27 team fouls. The Bears converted 26 of their 34 attempts from the charity stripe. DU sophomore Paige Bradley scored a career-high 24 points in the game.
- DU allows the opposition a .449 percentage from the field, including .358 from three-point range. Denver shoots a field-goal percentage of .403.
- Similar to the Rams, the Pioneers depth stretches across four players averaging double figures. DU is led by Kailey Edwards (13.7), Paige Bradley (12.4), Morgan Van Riper-Rose (11.7) and Theresa Wirth (11.4).
- Defensively Maiya Michel and Wirth lead Denver on the glass, with 9.1 and 8.1 rebounds per game, respectively.
- Junior guard Van Riper-Rose was absent from the Northern Colorado box score, Wednesday, after she went down with a leg injury vs. Montana on Nov. 27.
- Head Coach Kerry Cremeans enters her second year with the Pioneers. She took the helm last season after a successful eight-year stint as the associate Head Coach of Auburn. She has a 15-23 career record to date.
- The team returns four starters and 10 letterwinners overall from a 2012-13 squad that finished with 14-17 record last season, tying for sixth in the WAC.
Series vs. the Pioneers
- Sunday’s meeting between Colorado State and Denver will be the 25th game between the two schools.
- CSU is currently 15-9 over DU all-time, with a 5-5 tally in Colorado's capital city.
- The Pioneers have owned the series as of late, winning seven of the past eight matchups.
- The Rams last defeated DU in Denver in 2003.
Last time vs. Denver (Dec. 20, 2012)
In a defensive struggle, Colorado State fell to University of Denver 50-48 at Moby Arena.
The Rams (3-7) and Pioneers (5-6) both were off to a slow start, going into halftime 17-18, with CSU trailling by one point. The team shot a .278 percentage from the field on the night, being outshot by the Pioneers, who shot a 38.2 percent.
Throughout the game, the lead changed eight times. Colorado State was holding on to a one-point lead with 4:18 left in the game, but lost it with 2:51 left and were unable to gain it back.
Martin led the Rams, recording her ninth career double-double with 13 rebounds and 14 points, tying her career-high in rebounds for the third time. Martin also added two blocks and two steals.
Sophomore Kara Spotton came off the bench adding six points and two assists, running into foul trouble early on in the game. Spotton fouled out late in the final half. Spotton wasn't the only Ram to run into foul trouble. Freshman Caitlin Duffy tallying three fouls early on and Martin adding four.
Duffy recorded seven rebounds, a tying her career high, eight points and three steals.
Colorado State is home for its final two games of the year beginning with a matchup vs. South Dakota Mines on Dec. 14. Tipoff at Moby Arena is scheduled for 1 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Women's basketball recap: Patrick's career...
After suffering a disappointing loss in the season opener a few days ago, the Colorado State Rams...
Game notes: Rams look to right ship vs. Orediggers
Colorado State (0-1) hosts Colorado School of Mines (1-1) as it looks to rebound from Friday's...
Women's Basketball Recap: Rams drop home opener...
In a tough, defensive atmosphere, the Colorado State Rams (0-1) suffered a heartbreaking loss in ...
Women's basketball recap: Ryder leads Rams to...
After overcoming shaky start, the Colorado State Rams (2-1) proved to be too much for the...
Rams open 2014-15 campaign vs. Hawai'i Friday
Colorado State (0-0) welcomes Hawai'i (0-0) to tip-off the regular season. Friday's game is...
CSU women's hoops signs Kaiser for 2015
Colorado State women's basketball Head Coach Ryun Williams on Wednesday announced that Callie...
CSU receiving vote in AP Top 25 preseason poll
The Colorado State women's basketball team is receiving one vote in the AP Top 25 preseason poll,...
Women's basketball recap: CSU looks strong ...
In its first and only tune-up before the 2014-15 season tips off, the Colorado State women's...