Dec. 6, 2012
Colorado State at Tulsa | Game 8
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||TULSA GOLDEN HURRICANE|
Colorado State (2-5) travels to Tulsa, Okla., to challenge the Golden Hurricane (2-5) at the Donald W. Reynolds Center (8,355) Saturday. Tipoff is set for 1:30 p.m. MT.
Five out of the Rams' first seven games this season have been against opponents who've competed in the postseason in 2012. This will be just the second foe Colorado State will face with a below-.500 record this year. The last time was CSU's last win, vs. Seattle at home. The Redhawks were 0-2 when they visited Moby Arena on Nov. 17.
After an 0-5 start to the season, Tulsa is currently riding a two-game win-streak, with victories over Utah Valley (80-53) and Omaha (49-48). The Rams will play in their third double-header this season, as the Tulsa men will play TCU at 11 a.m. MT.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Tulsa...
- Saturday's game will be the only home contest for the Hurricane in December. Tulsa will then embark on a four-game road trip to finish out the year.
- Senior Taleya Mayberry was named to the Conference USA Women's Basketball Preseason Team this season, after earning a spot on C-USA's first-team all-conference last season.
Similar to the Rams, Tulsa has begun the year with a tough schedule. The Hurricane's first three games were against teams that advanced to the postseason, including two that went to the NCAA tournament (UALR and Arkansas).
- The Rams and Hurricane have played against one common opponent so far this season in Loyola Marymount. Tulsa played them in the Junkanoo Jam tournament in the Bahamas, losing by just one point 75-74 on Nov. 24.
- Tulsa ranks 108th among NCAA Division-I schools in scoring offense with 67.0 points per game.
- Senior Taleya Mayberry averages an amazing 21.3 points per game, ranking seventh in the nation. Mayberry shoots an impressive .872 percentage from the free-throw line, ranking 65th in the nation.
- Second on the list is senior forward Tiffani Couisnard who averages 10.1 rebounds per contest, ranking 37th in the nation, nine blocks and 11.3 points per game. Couisnard ranks 14th in the nation in double-doubles this year with four.
- With six seconds remaining in the game, sophomore Kadan Brady sank a three-pointer to win, 49-48, over Nebraska-Omaha in Nebraska. After letting the gap close during the second half of the game, the Hurricanes were scoreless for 6:45 of the clock, tying 46-all, until Brady's clutch three-point shot. Freshman Kelsee Grovey lead the Hurricanes with 11 points, while senior Taleya Mayberry and sophomore Mariah Turner added 10 points apiece.
- Tulsa was predicted to finish sixth in Conference USA this season, repeating its fate from last year. The Golden Hurricane return seven letterwinners and three starters from the 2011-12 campaign.
Series vs. the Golden Hurricane...
Saturday's meeting between Colorado State and Tulsa will be the sixth game between the two schools. This is Head Coach Ryun Williams first contest vs. the Hurricane.
The Rams are 4-2 vs. Tulsa overall dating back to 1999. They have a 2-0 record in Oklahoma.
Last time vs. Tulsa...
The Colorado State women's basketball team won its first game of the season, 87-68, against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (0-3, 0-0 Conference USA) at Moby Arena on Nov. 17, 2011.
Senior Kim Mestdagh set her career high in points scoring 35. Mestdagh ranks 12th in the all-time record book at CSU for most points scored in a game. She shot 77.7 percent beyond the arc and 73.3 percent from the floor. Mestdagh also tied for fifth in the CSU record book for scoring the most three-pointers in a game.
The Rams (1-2, 0-0 Mountain West) were 18-21 from the free-throw line, with five players shooting 100.0 percent.
The Rams were leading by only three at break and went on a 16-2 run in the first 5 minutes of the second half. The Rams outscored Tulsa 44-28 in the second half.
Freshman LaDeyah Forte recorded a career-high 10 assists for the night. Heimstra got her third double-double of the season with 12 points and 13 rebounds. Heimstra also tied her career high for blocks with five.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
CSU Women's Basketball Travels for Test at No. ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team is set to face its highest-ranked opponent of...
CSU's Ellen Nystrom Reaches 1,000 Career Points...
Senior guard Ellen Nystrom became the 19th player in program history to reach 1,000 points for...
CSU Women’s Basketball Hosts Adams State ...
Following a challenging three-game Preseason WNIT gauntlet, the Colorado State women’s...
CSU's Gustavsson Reaches Milestone in 62-59...
Senior forward Elin Gustavsson scored 13 points to reach 1,000 for her career and help the...
CSU Women’s Basketball Closes Preseason...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team travels to Lincoln, Neb. this week for its final...
CSU Women's Basketball Signs Lena Svanholm to NLI
The Colorado State women’s basketball team has signed Lena Svanholm to a national letter of...
CSU Women's Basketball Falls at No. 17/15...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team fell to the No. 17/15-ranked Washington Huskies,...
CSU's Ellen Nystrom Named Mountain West Women's...
Colorado State senior guard Ellen Nystrom has been named Mountain West Women’s Basketball...