Nov. 21, 2013
Colorado State at Illinois State | Game 4
Nov. 23 | 3 p.m. MT | Normal, Ill. | Redbird Arena (10,000)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||ILLINOIS STATE REDBIRDS|
Colorado State (2-1, 0-0 MW) will play its second consecutive game against a Missouri Valley Conference foe, on the road this time at Illinois State (0-2, 0-0 MVC) Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 3 p.m. MT at Redbird Arena (10,000).
After two road contests, Illinois State hosts the Rams in its regular-season home opener. Saturday's matchup is the only home game for the Redbirds in November.
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second season with the Rams.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the GoRedbirds.com/allaccess.
About Illinois State
- Illinois State is projected to finish eighth in the Missouri Valley Conference Preseason Poll for the 2013-14 season, and is led by senior Chloe Nelson.
- The Redbirds are currently 0-2 on their season after playing Northern Kentucky (L, 61-48) and No.25/RV DePaul (L, 80-67).
- In the loss at DePaul, Nelson put up a career-high 18 points, but the Redbirds were crippled with the Blue Demons 31 points off of their 28 turnovers. ISU is averaging 28 giveaways early this season.
- In the 2012-13 season, the Redbirds had a 24-11 record, and went to the second round of the WNIT tournament, falling 57-48 to Kansas State.
- The Redbirds are under the command of first-year head coach Barb Smith, after spending the 2012-13 season at Saint Louis University as the associate head coach, recruiting coordinator and offensive coordinator.
- The team returns two starters, junior Brianna Puni and sophomore Alexis Foley, and returns eight letterwinners overall.
- Nelson leads the Redbirds averaging 13.0 points per game, while Foly averages 8.5, and sophomore Octavia Crump averages 7.0.
- Crump also pulls down an impressive 9.5 rebounds per game, with Illinois State averaging 39.0 rebounds per game as a team.
Series vs. the Redbirds
- Saturday’s meeting between Colorado State and Illinois State will be the first game between the two schools.
- This will also be Head Coach Ryun Williams first time taking on the Redbirds.
A win will...
- Be the first career win by the Colorado State against Illinois State.
- Improve the Rams record to 12-8 against Missouri Valley Conference teams. With 10 teams in the conference, CSU has gone undefeated against five, but has not played against Loyola-Chicago or Bradley.
- Extend Colorado State’s record to 3-1 on the season, which would be its best start since the 2005-06 campaign.
- Take advantage of the first opportunity for a win on the road for the team this season.
Last time out
The Colorado State women's basketball team set several career highs on Nov. 16, taking the game, 92-77, over the Drake Bulldogs at Moby Arena.
With the win, the Rams improve to 2-1 on the season, while the Bulldogs fall to 1-2.
Senior Alicia Nichols came off of Colorado State's bench and led the team with a career-high 22 points, adding three rebounds, one assist and one block. Nichols shot a phenomenal .769 field-goal percentage, converting 10 of her 13 attempts from the field.
The Rams' 92 points, 42 first-half points and 50 second-half points were all season highs. The team also recorded a season-high field goal percentage, .486, and three point percentage, .308. The Rams had three players reach double-figures by the end of the first half, and CSU finished the game with five players in double-digits for the second time this year.
The Rams outshot the Bulldogs from the field 57.6 percent to 40.7 percent during the game.
This is the second time this season that the Rams have had an 80-plus point game this season, and the Rams only had one game last season that ended with scoring above 80 points. Colorado State also tallied 28 assists as a team, a season-high.
Caitlin Duffy scored 16 points, a season-high, while also recording six rebounds and three assists. Junior AJ Newton added 16 points as well, a season-high, while also registering career highs in assists (seven), and in rebounds (eight).
Junior Gritt Ryder put up her first career double-double with 12 points and 10 assists. This is the seventh time in program history that a double-double includes assists, and the first time since Nov. 16, 2001, when Colorado State's Elizabeth English scored 12 points and 10 assists. The 10 assists by Ryder marks a season-high, and was one short of her career high of 11. Her 12 points also ties a season-high.
Elin Gustavsson added 10 points for the Rams, three assists, and a career-high six rebounds. Senior Sam Martin and freshman Ellen Nystrom each added eight points to the total score, with Nystrom pulling down seven rebounds, adding three assists and two steals on the night.
In the first half of the game, the lead between Colorado State and Drake changed seven times, with the score being tied five times. In the second half of the game, Colorado State took charge and sprinted ahead of the Bulldogs, outscoring shooting them from the three-point line .667 percent, as opposed to Drake's .333 three-point field-goal percentage.
Colorado State added 50 points in the paint against the Bulldogs, which is the highest since the Rams played South Dakota Mines in Jan. 4 of last season. CSU's bench added 38 points, while Drake's bench totaled 28 points.
Colorado State travels to Honolulu, Hawai'i for the Waikiki Beach Marriott Rainbow Wahine Showdown, hosted by Hawai'i. The Rams will play three games in three days vs. Hawai'i (8 p.m. MT), Minnesota (3 p.m.) and Chattanooga (3 p.m.) beginning Nov. 29.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Recap: Colorado State's dream season comes ...
The Rams had two chances within the final 10 seconds to force the game into overtime, but both...
Notes: Rams open up NCAA Tournament vs. South...
Colorado State enters the NCAA Tournament ranked No. 22 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches...
Colorado State’s two-year run puts school...
After a tremendous 2014-15 year in athletics, the Colorado State Rams continued their momentum...
CSU earns No. 11 seed in NCAA Tournament
The Colorado State Rams have waited since 2002 for a return to the NCAA Tournament, and now, they...
Women's basketball NCAA Tournament watch...
The 2016 Mountain West champion Colorado State women’s basketball knows it will be playing ...
Recap: Nystrom's last-second free throws lift...
After 31 games and a 30-1 record, Colorado State’s NCAA Tournament chances were still up in...
Notes: Rams battle Fresno State for Mountain...
No. 22/22 Colorado State faces the No. 2 seed, Fresno State, in the championship of the 2016...
Rams Fall Short to USF 48-45 in the NCAA First ...
Courtney Williams came off the bench and scored 31 points and No. 6 seed South Florida held on ...