Nov. 6, 2013
Colorado State vs. UCCS | Game 1
Nov. 8 | Fort Collins, Colo. | Moby Arena (8,745)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||UCCS MOUNTAIN LIONS|
Colorado State (0-0) hosts Colorado-Colorado Springs in the second leg of a double header Friday. Tipoff is tentatively set for 8 p.m. MT, or 30 minutes following the conclusion of the men's game at Moby Arena (8,745).
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women's basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second season with the Rams.
The contest on Friday will be the first of the year for the Mountain Lions. Although it is CSU's first regular season game, UCCS will treat it as an exhibition contest. The Mountain Lions ended the 2012-13 season with a 19-8 record overall and were 16-6 in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, finishing third overall.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the Rams Digital Network at CSURams.com/videos.
About Black Hills State
- The Division-II University of Colorado-Colorado Springs Mountain Lions compete in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.
- UCCS went 19-8 overall in 2012-13, finishing the season with the best winning percentage in program history. The team tied for third in the league.
- UCCS was picked to finish first out of 14 teams in the RMAC in the Preseason Coaches' Poll. The team is currently receiving votes in the WBCA/USA Today DII Coaches' Poll.
- UCCS returns all five starters for the 2013-14 season, and returns 12 letterwinners overall, losing just three players from last season.
- The Mountain Lions are led by junior Abby Kirchoff who averaged in double-figure scoring at the end of last season with 14.1 points per game and shot 41.7 percent from the three-point line.
- Kirchoff received 2012-13 all-RMAC first-team honors and was voted the 2013-14 RMAC Women's Basketball Preseason Player of the Year.
- In 2013 the Mountain Lions advanced to the quarterfinals of the RMAC tournament, falling to Colorado Christian, 72-70.
Series vs. the Mountain Lions
- Friday's meeting between Colorado State and UCCS will be just the second regular-season game between the two schools all-time.
- The Rams are 1-0 vs. the Mountain Lions all-time.
- CSU last hosted UCCS on Dec. 9, 1993. The Rams won, 82-59, and were led by Teresa James, who scored 24 points on the night.
A win will...
- Give the Rams their first season-opening victory, since Nov. 13, 2009, when CSU defeated Montana, 72-64.
- Improve Head Coach Ryun Williams' career record to a perfect 4-0 vs. UCCS.
- Mark Williams' 270th career NCAA victory.
Last time out
The Colorado State women's basketball team defeated Black Hills State University, 72-49, in its second exhibition game of the year at Moby Arena.
Junior transfer AJ Newton led the Rams with 16 points, five assists, three steals, and three rebounds.
Freshman Ellen Nystrom added 14 points, six rebounds, three steals, and one assist. Also posting double-figures for the Rams was freshman Elin Gustavsson, who tallied 13 points, six rebounds, one block and one steal.
The Rams recorded 16 assists on the night, Newton and junior Gritt Ryder recorded five a piece.
Colorado State continued showing tremendous defense against the Yellow Jackets, causing the team to turn the ball over 25 times. With the defensive effort from the Rams, the team was able to gain 24 points off of the BHSU turnovers.
The Rams tallied 10 steals against the Yellow Jackets, and scored 16 points off them. Newton and Nystrom had three steals each, while Gustavsson, Ryder, freshman Gabby Frykbo and senior Alicia Nichols added one each.
The Rams will have all of their home contests and all Mountain West games streamed live on CSURams.com/videos this season for free.
Colorado State hosts in-state rival Colorado on Tuesday. Tipoff vs. the No. 19 Buffaloes is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Colorado State’s two-year run puts school...
After a tremendous 2014-15 year in athletics, the Colorado State Rams continued their momentum...
CSU earns No. 11 seed in NCAA Tournament
The Colorado State Rams have waited since 2002 for a return to the NCAA Tournament, and now, they...
Women's basketball NCAA Tournament watch...
The 2016 Mountain West champion Colorado State women’s basketball knows it will be playing ...
Recap: Nystrom's last-second free throws lift...
After 31 games and a 30-1 record, Colorado State’s NCAA Tournament chances were still up in...
Notes: Rams battle Fresno State for Mountain...
No. 22/22 Colorado State faces the No. 2 seed, Fresno State, in the championship of the 2016...
Rams Fall Short to USF 48-45 in the NCAA First ...
Courtney Williams came off the bench and scored 31 points and No. 6 seed South Florida held on ...
Recap: Smothering defense guides Rams to MW...
Facing a tough and physical matchup in the fifth-seeded New Mexico Lobos, top-seeded and No. 22...
Recap: Rams take down New Mexico 60-42
Elin Gustavsson scored 18 points on Wednesday night and No. 22 Colorado State beat fifth-seeded...