Oct. 30, 2013
Colorado State (0-0) hosts its final exhibition matchup Friday vs. Black Hills State. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. MT at Moby Arena (8,745).
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second season with the Rams.
The contest on Friday will be the first for BHSU. The Yellow Jackets ended the 2012-13 season with a 12-14 record overall and were 11-11 in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. Black Hills State finished in eighth place.
The Yellow Jackets will be the second preseason game for the Rams. The team will open the season vs. another RMAC opponent, UCCS, on Nov. 8 in a men's and women's basketball double-header.
Live game video will also be available via the Rams Digital Network at CSURams.com/videos.
About Black Hills State
- The Yellow Jackets are under the direction of head coach Mark Nore, now in his 11th season with BHSU. He is the all-time winningest coach in program history with a 195-107 record.
- Last season was the first year Black Hills State competed in the Division II Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.
- BHSU returns seven players and all five starters this year.
- The Yellow Jackets top two returners offensively are Chelsey Biegler and Bailey Kusser, who averaged 18.1 and 9.9 points per game last season, respectively.
- Calli Bechtel returns as the leading rebounder. Last year she averaged 5.4 boards per game.
- Led by Biegler (.455) and Bechtel (.477), the Yellow Jackets shot .426 from the field last seson. Biegler also shot over 40 percent from beyond the arc.
- Last year Black Hills State closed its season winning five of its last six games, and seven of its last 10.
- This is the second meeting for Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Yellow Jackets. Williams owns a 1-0 career records vs. BHSU.
Last time out
The Colorado State women's basketball team triumphed over Colorado School of Mines, 95-47, in its first exhibition game of the season Monday night at Moby Arena.
Junior transfer AJ Newton led the Rams with 18 points and three assists, draining five three-point shots on the night, and freshman Elin Gustavsson added 17 points, six rebounds, two assists and a steal.
Freshman Ellen Nystrom put up 14 points, six rebounds, three assists, and three steals.
Senior Sam Martin, playing in her second collegiate game against her younger sister, sophomore Oredigger Courtney Martin, tallied nine points, adding a team-high seven rebounds and had one steal, block, and assist a piece.
The Rams played an impressive defensive game, allowing the Orediggers to shoot with just 27.4 percent accuracy in field goals. The tough defensive effort also caused CSM to turn the ball over 22 times throughout the game and tallying 33 points off of the Orediggers' turnovers. In last season's exhibition match up, Mines out-rebounded the Rams, 51-39. Tonight, Colorado State out-rebounded the Orediggers, 46-37.
Junior transfer Gritt Ryder added eight points for the Rams, while adding an impressive eight assists, five rebounds, and four steals.
With eight new players on the roster, the pressure was high for the Rams to flow well together as a team.
Players coming off of CSU's bench added 29 points to the total score. Sophomore Caitlin Duffy added 15 points, sophomore Emily Johnson added six points, while freshman Stine Austgulen added four. Duffy also added six rebounds and one block.
The Rams will have all of their home contests and all Mountain West games streamed live on CSURams.com/videos this season for free.
Colorado State begins the regular season on Nov. 8 in a double-header with the men's team vs. UCCS. Tipoff vs. the Mountain Lions is scheduled for 8 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Women's Basketball Notes: Rams tip off...
Colorado State tips off its season against the Western State Mountaineers at Moby Arena. The Moun...
"Declare Your Major Day" a success at Colorado ...
Like many college freshmen, Albert Bimper wasn't sure where his academic path would lead when he ...
Women's Basketball: Rams ink four to class of 2016
Colorado State women’s basketball Head Coach Ryun Williams on Wednesday announced that four...
Women's Basketball Recap: Rams' defense, depth ...
In its first and only tune-up of the 2015-16 season, the Colorado State women’s basketball ...
Rams predicted to finish first in MW preseason ...
Coming off the heels of back-to-back Mountain West regular season titles, the target for the...
Williams, Nystrom earn preseason accolades
The Colorado State University women’s basketball program enter the 2015-16 season looking...
Colorado State Athletics partners with Stretch ...
Fans of the CSU Rams will receive an enhanced, user-friendly listening experience during the 2015...
CSU women's basketball in search of...
The two-time defending Mountain West Champion Colorado State women’s basketball program is ...