March 5, 2014
Colorado State vs. Wyoming | Game 29
March 7 | 7 p.m. MT | Fort Collins, Colo. | Moby Arena (8,745)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||WYOMING COWGIRLS|
Colorado State (22-6, 14-3 MW) welcomes Wyoming (19-9, 10-7 MW) in the second chapter of the Border War Friday.Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT at Moby Arena (8,745).
With a 10-18 record at this point last year, the Rams have made the biggest one-year turnaround in program history, and secured their first 20-win campaign in 11 years under Head Coach Ryun Williams, now in his second season. The team is off to its best start in 15 years, winning 18 of its last 20, and the Rams are looking to gain some momentum heading into the Mountain West tournament next week.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX or KIIXCountry.com. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the Mountain West Network at CSURams.com/videos.
- Wyoming just suffered its first home loss in MW play on Tuesday to Utah State. Kaitlyn Mileto put up a career-high 30 points, while Fallon Lewis crawled out of her rebounding slump with a 24-point, 15-rebound double-double, but another 30-point effort from the Aggies' Jennifer Schlott, combined with a low-percentage night from the rest of the Cowgirls' squad, led to the 84-80 setback.
- Coupled with a loss last week at Boise State, Wyoming is has now lost two games in a row, its only two-game losing streak during league play. The Cowgirls have not lost three consecutive games all season.
- MW Preseason Player of the Year, Kayla Woodward, is the team's leading scorer at 17.7 points per game, ranking third in the league. Mileto also falls in at fifth in the league with 14.6 points per game.
- Senior Lewis leads the league in rebounds with 9.9 boards per game. She is also an accurate shooter, ranking third in the league with a .509 conversion rate.
- Woodward and Mileto are the team's two scoring threats from three-point range, with 76 treys apiece. Both fall in the top five of the conference rankings.
- A fairly even match statiscally speaking, UW falls just behind CSU in scoring offense, averaging 73.7 points per game. The team also ranks second to the Rams in scoring margin (plus-8.5), field-goal percentage defense (.387), assists (15.8) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.3).
Series vs. the Cowgirls
- Friday's meeting is 88th game between the two schools, according to Colorado State. Wyoming recognizes three additional matchups before 1980, all of which were losses for CSU. Following the Rams' record book, Wyoming has a slight edge in the series, with a 45-42 advantage over CSU all-time.
- The Rams are 22-18 in Moby Arena, although the Cowgirls have dominated as of late, with just one loss in Fort Collins over the past eight years. CSU last earned a home victory on Jan. 21, 2012 (62-58).
- Head Coach Ryun Williams is 0-4 in his career vs. the Cowgirls. Wyoming is the only team in the Mountain West he doesn't have a win against.
A win will...
- Extend the most wins ever for CSU in the Mountain West, with 15 league victories, and capture the most-ever conference victories, surpassing the old mark from 1998-99, when the Rams finished 14-0 in the WAC.
- Secure the most wins overall since 2001-02, when Colorado State finished 24-7.
- Approach the most home wins since 2002-03, when the Rams went 17-1 at Moby Arena.
- Elongate the fourth-longest win streak at Moby Arena to 13 games.
Last time at Wyoming (Feb. 22, 2014)
Another Colorado State slow start proved too much to overcome Saturday, as the Rams fell to the Cowgirls, 75-49 at Arena Auditorium.
Held to its lowest score of the season, the Rams fall to 13-2 in the Mountain West with a 21-5 record overall, while Wyoming improves to 18-7 and 9-5 in the league. With the Boise State (15-10, 10-4 MW) win at UNLV this afternoon, CSU needs to win just one more game to clinch at least a share of the title.
The Rams began the game as they have the past two contests, slow to score, shooting 11 percent in the early goings. Wyoming's Marquelle Dent got off to a hot start, with all of the Cowgirls first 12 points. She would tally a career-high 24 by the end of the day.
Early turnovers from errant passes further prohibited the Rams from scoring initially. CSU recorded six giveaways by the midway point of the first frame, but regained control in the latter stages of the half. The team finished right on its season average of 12 as time expired.
Freshman Ellen Nystrom was a dominant presence on the court, especially early on, with 12 points and eight rebounds on the day. She was the first to double figures, followed by fellow Swede Elin Gustavsson with a team-high 16.
Wyoming's Kayla Woodward was deadly from deep, with four three-pointers in the contest. The forward made two consecutive shots from beyond the arc about five minutes into the half that set the pace for the rest of the game.
Colorado State will play either the 8- or 9-seed in the quarterfinal round of the MW tournament in Las Vegas on Tuesday at 1 p.m. MT.
If the postseason began today, the Rams would play the winner of No. 8 Utah State and No. 9 New Mexico. Currently a 10-seed, SJSU can figure into the mix with a New Mexico loss at home to San Diego State, and a win at Fresno State Friday.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Recap: Timely fourth-quarter shooting lifts...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team held the UNLV Lady Rebels to 22 points through...
Preview: Rams return home for Saturday matinee ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team returns home to Moby Arena for a 2 p.m. MT...
Recap: Rams’ defense keys 60-53 win at...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team held Boise State to 16 first-half points and...
Preview: Rams open second half of conference...
With nine conference games in the books, the Mountain West-leading Colorado State women’s...
CSU's Elin Gustavsson named Mountain West...
Fresh off her career-best scoring performance against San Diego State, Colorado State senior...
Recap: Gustavsson scores career-high 32 points ...
Senior forward Elin Gustavsson led the Colorado State women’s basketball team in scoring...
Preview: Rams host San Diego State at Moby...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team returns to Moby Arena this weekend for a...
Sportswomen of Colorado honors CSU with four...
DENVER - The Colorado State Rams picked up four honors from the Sportswomen of Colorado, the...