Feb. 28, 2013
Colorado State vs. Boise State | Game 27
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||BOISE STATE BRONCOS|
Colorado State (9-17, 5-8 MW) is home for two of its final three games this regular season beginning with Boise State (11-15, 4-9) on Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MST.
After a hard fought loss Wednesday at Fresno State, the Rams are hoping to rebound with a win against the Broncos. Colorado State has a chance to move into a tie for fourth place in the conference standings.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Saturday's contest is "Family Day." There will be a post-event meet and greet with poster signing. Fans can purchase $4 tickets by entering the promo code: GORAMS at CSURams.com/tickets.
Scouting Report on Boise State
- Boise State snapped a seven-game losing streak Wednesday at Nevada, winning 80-62. It was the team's first road win of the conference season.
- In the win over Nevada, four players reached double figures. Senior Lauren Lenhardt led the way with 20 points, followed by Brandi Henton (18), Lexie Der (14) and Erica Martinez (12). The Broncos shot .500 from the field, including .538 from beyond the arc.
- Lenhardt leads the team with 18.1 points per game in league play, ranking second in the MW. Henton is also averaging double digits with 11.5 per matchup. Der and Lenhardt lead the team on the boards with 6.8 and 6.6 rebounds per game, respectively.
- After playing only two games in MW action, Julia Marshall has been out with an injury. Starting guard Diana Lee has also missed the past five games due to injury. Martinez has since taken over for Lee in the starting lineup.
Series vs. the Broncos
- Saturday's meeting between Colorado State and Boise State will be the seventh game between the two schools.
- The Rams are 3-3 vs. the Broncos overall with a 1-1 record in Fort Collins.
- This is Head Coach Ryun Williams second contest vs. Boise State, with an 1-0 record in his career. Until this season, Williams had never played against any team in the MW, aside from CSU.
A win will...
- Allow the Rams a chance to move into as high as a tie for fourth place in the conference standings with UNLV and New Mexico, provided those both teams lose Saturday. The Rams are currently in sixth place.
- Improve the Rams' record against the Broncos to 4-3 all-time and 2-1 in Fort Collins.
- Push the Rams over the .500 mark at home in league play. CSU is currently 3-3 at Moby in the MW.
Last time at Boise State (Jan. 30)
It was a hard fought battle all the way to the very end, and it was Colorado State that came out on top, 57-56 at Taco Bell Arena.
After an early layup for Boise State (10-9, 3-3 MW), CSU (6-13, 2-4) went on a 9-0 run, hitting three from beyond the arc. The Rams first five out of six baskets were past the three-point line. They tallied 10 on the evening, a season-high. Six different players for Colorado State made threes in the contest.
CSU held the lead until midway through the second frame, when the Broncos took over. Boise State gained a five-point lead three times, but the Rams tied the match-up with just over 1 minute to play. A Caitlin Duffy layup gave the Rams a two-point lead, but it was quickly taken away with a Broncos three-pointer. With the shot clock turned off, CSU had the ball with 26 seconds remaining. A missed shot by Alicia Nichols was corralled by Hayley Thompson, who got the put-back for the win.
Sam Martin had a stellar first half, with 11 points in the first 10 minutes of play. Her eighth point of the evening put her at 1,000 in her career. The Colorado native joins the ranks of 16 other Ram greats who have scored 1,000 points at Colorado State. She ended with 22 on the night, the third 20-plus scoring game for a Ram this season. She shot 9-of-19, including a career-high four treys.
Martin is the second junior in two years to reach 1K before her senior campaign. Kim Mestdagh hit the mark her junior season in 2011. Martin is the only active junior in the Mountain West with 1,000 points.
Sophomore Ladeyah Forte recorded a team-high seven assists to just one turnover. It was her best performance since dealing 11 vs. South Dakota Mines.
Hayley Thompson registered a season-high 11 points and she grabbed seven boards, also a season-high.
Though the teams were fairly even on defensive rebounds, the Broncos had the advantage on the offensive glass 16-7. Boise State converted 16 second-chance points to CSU's four. The Rams had the upper hand in points off turnovers, however, with 17 to the Broncos seven.
Martin with exclusive company
With a career-high 30 points vs. South Dakota Mines on Jan. 4, Sam Martin reached elite status, entering the top 20 in scoring at CSU. With 1,124 points to date, the Colorado native is ranked No. 15. Seventeen Ram greats have reached 1,000 points in their careers at Colorado State, since the program began in 1974.
Martin has become the second junior in two years to reach 1,000 points before her senior campaign. Kim Mestdagh hit the mark her junior season in 2011, eclipsing 1,000 vs. UNLV on Jan. 18.
The Parker native also registered her 500th career rebound vs. Nevada on Feb. 6 and her 100th career block at Fresno State on Feb. 27. She becomes just the second player in CSU women's basketball history to reach 1,000 points, 500 boards and 100 denials before her senior year. The only other player to accomplish such a feat was CSU Hall of Fame member, Teresa James, who reached the goal 18 years ago during the 1994-95 season.
Colorado State plays its final game at Moby in the second installment of the Border War. The Cowgirls (21-6, 12-4) have clinched at least the third place in the standings with a chance to move higher. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Recap: Dominant second half propels Rams to 72-...
The Colorado State women's basketball team and Air Force played a tight first half on Saturday,...
Preview: Rams travel to Air Force for Mountain ...
Fresh off an overtime victory over San Jose State on Wednesday, the Colorado State women’s ...
CSU’s Ellen Nystrom named candidate for...
Colorado State senior guard Ellen Nystrom has been named one of 30 candidates for the 2016-17...
Recap: Williams earns historic win as Rams take...
The Colorado State women's basketball rallied from a five-point deficit with one minute remaining...
CSU’s women’s basketball game on as...
Colorado State’s women’s basketball game against San Jose State will be played as...
Preview: Rams continue conference play with...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team continues Mountain West play this week, hosting ...
Recap: Rams fall to Boise State, 51-45, ending ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball made a strong comeback effort in the final minute of ...
Preview: Rams host Boise State in Mountain West...
Following a win on the road to start Mountain West play, the Colorado State women’s...