Feb. 25, 2013
Colorado State at Fresno State | Game 26
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS|
Colorado State (9-16, 5-7 MW) continues its two-game road stretch at Fresno State (18-8, 10-3), looking to avenge a loss from earlier this season on Wednesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. MST at the Save Mart Center.
After a tough loss Saturday at New Mexico, the Rams are hoping to rebound with a win against the Bulldogs. Colorado State has a chance to move into a tie for fifth place in the conference standings.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore Ladeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Fresno State
- The Bulldogs have lost two of their past three matchups at home to first place San Diego State on Feb. 9, 74-49, and last place Nevada on Feb. 20, 60-54.
- In the loss to Nevada, the Bulldogs shot a season-low 28.4 percent from the field. Preseason all-MW player Ki-Ki Moore was the team's only player with more than eight points. She finished with 20.
- Fresno State most recently notched a win on the road at Boise State, 83-65. Four players tallied double figures and the team converted a season-high 14 three pointers to the Broncos' four.
- The Bulldogs' two biggest strengths are their steals per game: 12.8, ranking fifth in the nation, and fouls per game: 11.8, ranking sixth. Ki-Ki Moore (3.08), Taylor Thompson (2.88) and Rosie Moult (2.76) all rank in the top 50 in the country in steals per contest.
- Moore is the Bulldogs' leading scorer, averaging 16.9 points per game. She is joined by Moult (12.4), Alex Sheedy (10.4) and Thompson (10.3) for those averaging double figures. Moore has hit 20-plus points in each of their past three games.
- Defensively, Moore and Sheedy lead the pack with 6.1 and 5.7 rebounds per game, respectively.
Series vs. the Bulldogs
- Wednesday's meeting between Colorado State and Fresno State will be the 11th game between the two schools.
- The Rams are 8-3 vs. the Bulldogs overall with a 5-0 record in Fresno.
- Colorado State's last visit to the Save Mart Center was on Jan. 23, 1997.
- This is Head Coach Ryun Williams second contest vs. Fresno State, with an 0-1 record in his career. Until this season, Williams had never played against any team in the MW, aside from CSU.
A win will...
- Allow the Rams a chance to move into a tie for fifth place in the conference standings with UNLV. The Rams are currently in sixth place.
- Improve the Rams' record against the Bulldogs to 9-3 all-time and a perfect 6-0 in Fresno.
- Give CSU its third road win of the season and its third in MW play. The Rams haven't won more than two games away from Moby in league play since 2002.
Last time vs. Fresno State (Jan. 27)
Colorado State may have put the first points on the board, but Fresno State was quick to gain, and keep, the lead over the Rams. Colorado State lost, 69-58, at Moby Arena.
Early turnovers ignited a 17-0 run early in the first half. Colorado State (5-13, 1-4 MW) snapped the streak at the 12:23 mark in first frame. In the half, CSU turned the ball over 13 times, as opposed to the Bulldogs (13-6, 5-1 MW) five turnovers. On turnovers alone, Fresno State tallied 27 points throughout the game the most since the Rams played Tulsa on Dec. 8 who recorded 28 points.
In the second half, the Rams reduced their turnovers, allowing only two for the half.
Sophomore Ladeyah Forte came off the bench and led the Rams with 12 points, a perfect six-for-six at the free-throw line, a career-high. Forte also tallied two assists and two rebounds.
Junior Alicia Nichols came off the bench and made every shot that she took, recording 10 points and an assist. Colorado State's bench scored 25 points. Freshman Caitlin Duffy scored 11 points, one rebound and one steal.
The Rams shot a season high free-throw percentage of .933 with senior Meghan Heimstra, Forte and Nichols all shot perfectly from the line.
Colorado State's tough defense caused Fresno State to tally four shot-clock violations.
The Rams shot a better percentage than the Bulldogs at.487, but they shot a season-low 39 field-goals.
Colorado State is back at Moby for its final two home games of the season starting with Boise State on Saturday. The Broncos (10-15, 3-9) are two games behind the Rams in seventh place in the standings. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Williams' contract extended through 2018-19 season
Colorado State University and women's basketball head coach Ryun Williams have finalized a new...
CSU great Hammon hired by world-champion Spurs
The San Antonio Spurs announced Tuesday that former Colorado State women's basketball player...
Women's basketball announces 2014-15 slate
The Colorado State women's basketball program released its 2014-15 schedule on Tuesday.
CSU named to WBCA Academic Top 25 Team Honor Roll
The Colorado State women's basketball team was recognized Thursday with a spot on the Women's...
Stars Guard Becky Hammon to Retire Following...
San Antonio Stars guard and 16-year WNBA veteran, Becky Hammon, will retire at the conclusion of ...
Rams earn 74 MW Scholar-Athlete nods for 2013-14
Sixth-three Colorado State student-athletes earned a record total of 74 Scholar-Athlete awards...
Mountain West announces academic all-conference...
A record number of 101 Colorado State student-athletes earned academic all-conference accolades...
CSU announces changes to women's basketball staff
Head Coach Ryun Williams announced on Tuesday the additions of Brooke Atkinson, Rebecca Alvidrez ...