Feb. 21, 2013
Colorado State at New Mexico | Game 25
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||NEW MEXICO LOBOS|
Colorado State (9-15, 5-6 MW) is on the road, looking to avenge a loss from earlier this season, at New Mexico (13-11, 5-6) Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. MT at The Pit.
Having won four of their past six games, the Rams are hoping to extend a two-game win-streak heading into The Pit. Colorado State and New Mexico are tied in fifth place in the league standings heading into Saturday's matchup.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season’s 13-17 record. Sophomore Ladeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on New Mexico
- A leader in the Mountain West, UNM averages 6,385 fans per game, ranking No. 9 in Division-I women's basketball.
- Winners of five conference games, New Mexico has won only one of those contests at home, over Boise State on Jan. 16, 58-53. The Lobos have lost four straight at The Pit to SDSU, Wyoming, UNLV and most recently, Fresno State.
- Caroline Durbin and Deeva Vaughn lead UNM in scoring, averaging 12.3 and 9.4 points per game, respectively. Defensively, Vaugh leads the attack on the glass, with 5.2 rebounds per game, followed by Jourdan Erskine at 5.0.
- The Lobos' two best team stats in conference play are assists (13.7; third) and opponent rebounds (34.8; third).
- New Mexico is ranked in the top 100 nationally this season in two categories: field-goal percentage (.412; 78th) and rebound margin (3.3; 93rd).
- UNM's pitfall is its free-throw shooting. Only Durbin (.885) has better than a .682 percentage from the line. The team shoots a .582 percentage.
- Led by Durbin's 25 points and uncharacteristically good free-throw shooting (.864), the Lobos rolled to a 66-58 win over Boise State on Wednesday. Sophomore Anteisha Brown added 12 points on the night, while three other players tallied at least seven.
Series vs. the Lobos
- Saturday's meeting between Colorado State and New Mexico will be the 69th game between the two schools.
- The Rams are 30-38 vs. the Lobos overall with a 10-21 record in Albuquerque.
- Colorado State's last win at The Pit was on Jan. 8, 1998. The Rams have lost the past 13 matchups in Albuquerque.
- This is Head Coach Ryun Williams second contest vs. UNM, with an 0-1 record in his career. Until this season, Williams had never played against any team in the MW, aside from CSU.
A win will...
- Allow the Rams a chance to move into fourth place in the conference standings, provided UNLV loses to Wyoming. The Rams are currently in a tie for fifth with New Mexico.
- Improve the Rams' record against the Lobos to 31-38 all-time and 11-21 in Albuquerque.
- Push CSU's record back to .500 on the road in league play. The Rams are currently 2-3 away from Moby.
Last time vs. UNM (Jan. 23)
The Rams dug themselves a hole midway through the second half of the game, and the deficit was too much to overcome. Colorado State fell to the New Mexico, 68-54, at Moby Arena.
CSU was 5-12, and 1-3 in conference play tying with Air Force. The Lobos advanced to 10-7, and 2-2 in the Mountain West.
Colorado State kept within a 10-point deficit of the Lobos until the middle of the second half, when the Lobos went on an 11-0 run, creating a 15-point advantage. UNM maintained the lead for the remainder of the game.
New Mexico out-rebounded the Rams 46 to 24, with 19 of those on the offensive glass, where the Rams were only able to bring down three o-boards. The Lobos were able to score 21 points off of rebounds as opposed to the Rams two.
Martin led the Rams with 16 points, four rebounds, two blocks, one steal, and an assist. This was Martin's second consecutive game with 16 points or higher.
Senior Meghan Heimstra recorded her 111th block of her career, putting her at the No. 2 spot all-time in career blocks. In addition to three blocks, Heimstra recorded seven rebounds, six points, one steal and one assist.
Sophomore Mandy Makeever made her first start since Dec. 4, 2011, due to a shoulder injury. She tallied nine points, two rebounds, an assist and one steal.
Freshman Caitlin Duffy recorded nine points, three rebounds and five assists. Sophomore Ladeyah Forte came off the bench and added eight points, two assists and one rebound. She shot a perfect 3-of-3 from the field.
The Rams defense was able to hold Lobos top-scorer Caroline Durbin, who averages 12.6 points per contest, at nine points.
Colorado State continues its road stretch at Fresno State Wednesday. The second-place Bulldogs are reeling after a loss at home to last-place Nevada. Fresno State's record is now 17-8 overall with a 9-3 mark in the MW. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Preview: Rams travel to Air Force for Mountain ...
Fresh off an overtime victory over San Jose State on Wednesday, the Colorado State women’s ...
CSU’s Ellen Nystrom named candidate for...
Colorado State senior guard Ellen Nystrom has been named one of 30 candidates for the 2016-17...
Recap: Williams earns historic win as Rams take...
The Colorado State women's basketball rallied from a five-point deficit with one minute remaining...
CSU’s women’s basketball game on as...
Colorado State’s women’s basketball game against San Jose State will be played as...
Preview: Rams continue conference play with...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team continues Mountain West play this week, hosting ...
Recap: Rams fall to Boise State, 51-45, ending ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball made a strong comeback effort in the final minute of ...
Preview: Rams host Boise State in Mountain West...
Following a win on the road to start Mountain West play, the Colorado State women’s...
Recap: Tryggedsson's second-quarter offensive...
Locked in a close battle with UNLV in the first half, the Rams used a 12-0 run at the end of the ...