Feb. 14, 2013
Colorado State vs. Air Force | Game 23
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||AIR FORCE FALCONS|
Colorado State (7-15, 3-6 MW) is back home, looking to rebound from Wednesday's loss, vs. Air Force (3-20, 2-8) Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT at Moby Arena.
The Falcons are traveling to Fort Collins following a road loss at UNLV on Wednesday, 80-53. Air Force sits in eighth place in the conference standings, with wins over Nevada and UNLV at home.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season’s 13-17 record. Sophomore Ladeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Saturday's matchup will be a Play4Kay Pink Out game. Fans are encouraged to wear pink for breast cancer awareness. There will be a postgame meet & greet with the team and poster signing.
About Play4Kay: Kay Yow, former North Carolina State University head women’s basketball coach, was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987, and passed away on Jan. 24, 2009, after facing her third bout with the disease. With the creation of the Fund, Kay hoped to raise money to further cutting-edge research conducted by the nation’s top doctors and medical experts to allow more and more cancer patients to have access to experimental drugs and clinical trials.
Scouting Report on Air Force
- Air Force ran into foul trouble against a hot-shooting UNLV team, falling 80-53 in Las Vegas Wednesday. Down by 11 at the half, AFA tried to gain some momentum on a 6-0 run in the second frame, but the Rebels wouldn't let the Falcons close the gap, shooting 60.0 percent in the second. The foul count was 25-12 in favor of UNLV, which converted 28 of its 35 attempts from the line.
- AFA is led by Alicia Leipprandt, averging 13.7 points per contest in league play. Cherae Medina is next on the list, with 9.9 points per game. Dymond James leads the team on the glass, with 8.5 rebounds per matchup, which is second in the MW. She is followedy by Katie Hilbig, who is sixth in the conference with 6.9 boards.
- Since conference play began the Falcons are in the top three in nearly every rebounding stat category, including rebounding margin at plus-2.7, ranking third.
- Head coach Andrea Williams is now in her third year at the helm. She is 18-66 after being promoted from an assistant position in 2010.
Series vs. the Falcons
- Saturday's meeting between Colorado State and Air Force will be the 50th game between the two schools.
- The Rams are 38-11 vs. the Falcons overall with a 19-3 record in Fort Collins.
- Colorado State has won nine of the past 10 matchups in the series.
- CSU is on a four-game win streak over Air Force at home. The Rams haven't lost to the Falcons in Moby Arena since Feb. 24, 2008.
- This is Head Coach Ryun Williams second contest vs. AFA. Until this season, Williams had never played against any team in the MW, aside from CSU.
A win will...
- Allow the Rams a chance to move into a tie for fifth place in the conference standings, provided New Mexico falls at Boise State. The Rams are currently tied for sixth.
- Improve the Rams' record against the Falcons to 39-11 all-time and 20-3 in Fort Collins.
- Push CSU's record back to .500 at home this year. Last season, Colorado State was 10-3 on the Moby court.
Last time at AFA (Jan. 16)
A last-second deep three by Ladeyah Forte with 2:38 remaining all but eliminated any chance of an Air Force comeback at Clune Arena. Colorado State rolled to its first road victory of the season, 64-44.
CSU’s win brings them back to .500 in the Mountain West with a 1-1 record. The Rams improve to 5-10 overall, while Air Force falls to 2-14 and 1-2 in the league.
Colorado State earned its lead early with a 15-3 run. Air Force, which has compiled 49 offensive rebounds in the last two games, grabbed three in the early goings; but before the Falcons had a chance to convert, CSU stole the ball away. The Rams registered five steals in the first 5 minutes, and finished 12 on the evening.
Both teams were scoreless for 4 minutes to begin the second stanza. Senior Meghan Heimstra ended the drought with turnaround-layup on the right side. From that point on, the in-state rivals exchanged baskets for the better part of the final 20, but the Rams never lost sight of their two-digit lead.
Caitlin Duffy tallied her seventh game of the year in double-digits. She scored a game-high 18, making three from beyond the arc. Sam Martin and Forte joined her in double figures with 17 and 12 points, respectively.
Sophomore Kara Spotton made the first three-pointer of her career late in the first frame. She finished the night with seven points.
After missing 35 games due to a shoulder injury, the Rams welcomed Mandy Makeever to floor in the final minute of play. The redshirt sophomore had not played since Dec. 8, 2011.
The Rams tweaked their starting five from the last four games, substituting Heimstra in for Spotton and Thompson in for Forte. This was Heimstra’s first start eight games. She recorded seven rebounds and a team-high four steals.
Colorado State plays its third home contest in a four-game stretch vs. UNLV. The Lady Rebles are in forth place in the league standing at 6-4, with a 10-14 mark overall. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Game notes: CSU hosts in-state rival Denver...
Colorado State (5-3) continues its home stretch Thursday vs. Denver (2-6) at Moby Arena (8,745). ...
Colorado State vs. Cal Poly postgame notes from Moby Arena on Dec. 21, 2014. Final score: CSU 65,...
Women's basketball recap: Rams rout 'Rockers to...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Colorado State (5-3) returns home with an emphatic victory of South Dakota ...
Game notes: CSU returns home to begin 4-game...
Colorado State (4-3) begins four-game home stretch Tuesday vs. South Dakota Mines (3-5) at Moby...
Women's basketball recap: CSU falls to BYU ...
Poor shooting early on plagued the Colorado State women's basketball team Saturday at Energy...
Game notes: CSU meets BYU in Salt Lake City
Colorado State (4-2) wraps up its four-game road stretch Saturday vs. BYU (4-3) in Salt Lake City...
Women's basketball recap: Rams earn first...
The Colorado State women's basketball team earned its first road victory of the season Wednesday ...
Game notes: CSU looks for road win at Drake
Colorado State (3-2) travels east to Des Moines, Iowa, to take on the Drake Bulldogs (3-3)...