Feb. 11, 2013
Colorado State at San Diego State | Game 22
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS|
Colorado State (7-14, 3-5 MW) is on the road for one game this week at San Diego State (17-5, 8-1) Wednesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. MT at Viejas Arena.
After opening conference play with a loss to Fresno State on Jan. 9 at home, the Aztecs have gone on an eight-game win streak. SDSU's latest victory was over Fresno State on the road, 74-49.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season’s 13-17 record. Sophomore Ladeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on San Diego State
- San Diego State is ranked in the top three in 15 out of 20 statistical categories since league play began. The Aztecs achilles heel is their three-point and free-throw percentage. They shoot just 30.4 percent beyond the arc and 65.5 percent from the line, ranking seventh in both areas.
- The Aztecs are receiving votes in both polls this week. The full rundown can be found on page 3 of this release.
- SDSU ranks in the top 50 in nine stat categories among D-I schools. The Aztecs highest ranking is in blocks per game, with 5.3 at No. 19.
- Preseason Player of the Year Courtney Clements leads the team in scoring with 17.0 points per contest, though Preseason All-MW teammate Chelsea Hopkins has led the team with 16.3 points per game in conference action.
- Four out of five of the Aztecs starters are shooting at least .410 from the field. All four of those players scored at least 17 points at Fresno State on Saturday, with Clements leading the pack with 20. Both Hopkins and Malia Nahinu tallied double-doubles and the Aztecs shot 51.7 percent, en route to a dominating 74-49 win.
- An all-around player, Hopkins also leads the team in MW play in rebounds (8.3; third MW), assists (7.1; first), assist-to-turnover ratio (2.0;second), defensive rebounds (7.1; first) and steals (3.0; tied-first).
- Hopkins has earned four Mountain West Player of the Week awards this season, including this past week for her performance at Boise State and Fresno State. Clements has earned two weekly awards in 2012-13, on Nov. 26, and a week later on Dec. 3.
Series vs. the Aztecs
- Wednesday's meeting between Colorado State and San Diego State will be the 45th game between the two schools.
- The Rams are 18-26 vs. the Aztecs overall with a 5-15 record in San Diego.
- This is Head Coach Ryun Williams second contest vs. SDSU. Until this season, Williams had never played against any team in the MW, aside from CSU.
A win will...
- Allow the Rams a chance to move into fifth place in the conference standings, provided New Mexico falls vs. Fresno State. The Rams are currently sixth.
- Give the Rams their win away from home this season, tying last year's mark. CSU finished 2011-13 with a 3-11 on the road.
- Push CSU's record over .500 for the month of February. Last season, Colorado State was 5-3 in February.
Last time vs. SDSU (Jan. 13)
Colorado State's comeback bid fell short in the final seconds at Moby Arena. San Diego State defeated the Rams 48-44.
CSU (4-10, 0-1 MW) started off the game slowly, not making a basket until senior Meghan Heimstra made a lay-up with 10:21 left on the clock in the first half, with SDSU (10-5, 1-1 MW) already having 17 points on the board. After Heimstra's starting points, the Rams picked up their pace and went into half-time down 16-30.
Colorado State came out with energy in the second half of the game. Junior Alicia Nichols brought the Rams within four points of SDSU making a clutch three-pointer with 8:32 left in the game. The Aztecs and the Rams fought back and forth until the end, unable to grasp the win.
The Rams had their lowest field-goal attempts of the season with only 42 attempts.
Junior Hayley Thompson scored a season high eight points while only playing 17 minutes of the game. Thompson also tallied six rebounds and one assist.
Freshman Caitlin Duffy was the team's leading scorer with 10 points, three rebounds, one assist and one block. Heimstra finished the game with eight points, four rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block.
SDSU out-rebounded Colorado State offensively 20 rebounds to nine. The Aztecs turned those 20 offensive boards into 12 points.
Colorado State's defense held SDSU's high-scorer Courtney Clements to just five points. The Rams held San Diego State to a season low scoring as a team.
Nichols scored five points, with three rebounds and one steal. Junior Sam Martin totaled six points, six rebounds, two blocks, and one assist. Sophomore Kara Spotton recorded seven points, four rebounds, and a steal.
Colorado State had 17 turnovers throughout the game. Off of the Rams turnovers SDSU was able to score 16 points, while CSU was unable to score any.
This was the first game CSU has lost where the opponent scored less than 50 points.
Colorado State is home to wrap up the week in a Pink Out vs. Air Force. The Falcons are in eighth place in the league standing at 2-7, with a 3-19 mark overall. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Women's Basketball Notes: Rams host Incarnate...
Colorado State returns to action to face off against the Incarnate Word Cardinals at Moby Arena...
Women's Basketball recap: Rams' defense...
The Colorado State Rams walked away with an emphatic victory, 84-42, over Western State in its...
Women's Basketball Notes: Rams tip off...
Colorado State tips off its season against the Western State Mountaineers at Moby Arena. The Moun...
"Declare Your Major Day" a success at Colorado ...
Like many college freshmen, Albert Bimper wasn't sure where his academic path would lead when he ...
Women's Basketball: Rams ink four to class of 2016
Colorado State women’s basketball Head Coach Ryun Williams on Wednesday announced that four...
Women's Basketball Recap: Rams' defense, depth ...
In its first and only tune-up of the 2015-16 season, the Colorado State women’s basketball ...
Rams predicted to finish first in MW preseason ...
Coming off the heels of back-to-back Mountain West regular season titles, the target for the...
Williams, Nystrom earn preseason accolades
The Colorado State University women’s basketball program enter the 2015-16 season looking...