Jan. 25, 2013
Colorado State vs. Fresno State | Game 18
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS|
Colorado State (5-12, 1-3 MW) hosts one of two new teams in the Mountain West, Fresno State (12-6, 4-1), on Sunday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT.
The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network. Rich Cellini will provide the play-by-play, while Tammy Blackburn is the color analyst. This is the third game the Rams will have on the network this regular season.
The Bulldogs travel to Fort Collins riding a two-game win streak. The team's only loss in conference play was at Wyoming on Jan. 16 (78-71).
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore Ladeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will also be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Fresno State
- Fresno State's 70-57 victory over Boise State was largely due to the 18 steals that they recorded. The Bulldogs have had six other games with 15 or more steals. FSU was led by junior Ki-Ki Moore who tallied 20 points, seven rebounds, seven steals and five assists.
- The Bulldogs have a perfect 8-0 home game record so far this season. On the road, Fresno State is 4-6, with five of the six losses being within 10 points.
- Last season the Bulldogs were 13-1 in the regular season before heading into the WAC tournament, where they defeated Louisiana Tech 89-61 and gained the WAC championship title. The Bulldogs got an automatic bearth in the NCAA tournament, falling to Georgetown, 61-56.
- 2012 WAC Player and Mountain West Newcomer of the Year Ki-Ki Moore leads the team in scoring at 16.7 points per contest. Two other Bulldogs average over ten points per game. Senior Rosie Moult averages 12.0 points per matchup, and junior Taylor Thompson averages 11.5 points per contest.
- Fresno State is ranked second in the Mountain West with a 4-1 record, leading the conference in scoring, averaging 72.8 points per game. The Bulldogs also are at the top of the MW in field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage, steals, assists, and three-point field goals made.
- A former Rams' assistant under Tom Collen in the early 2000s, Raegan Pebley is in her first season at the helm of Fresno State after nine years at Utah State. A 2012 Region 7 Coach of the Year and WAC Coach of the Year in 2011, Pebley has compiled a 122-161 career record in her 10th season.
Series vs. the Bulldogs
- Sunday's meeting between Colorado State and Fresno State will be the 11th game between the two schools.
- The Rams are 8-2 vs. Fresno State overall with a 3-2 record in Fort Collins.
- The last time that the Bulldogs competed against the Rams was at Moby Arena was Feb. 27, 1997. The Rams defeated FSU 73-62.
A win will...
- Move CSU into at least seventh place in the conference standings. The Rams are currently tied with Nevada and Air Force with a 1-3 mark.
- Get the Rams back to .500 in Moby. CSU is 4-5 at home this season.
- Put Colorado State at a six game series win-streak over the Bulldogs.
- Tally the most wins (3) for CSU in a single month this season. So far, the Rams haven't gotten more than two wins in November and December.
Martin approaching exclusive company
With a career-high 30 points vs. South Dakota Mines on Jan. 4, Sam Martin has reached elite status, entering the top 20 in scoring at CSU. With 984 points to date, the Colorado native is ranked No. 17.
Sixteen Ram greats have reached 1,000 points in their careers at Colorado State, since the program began in 1974.
At this point Martin needs just 16 points to get to 1,000. She would become the second junior in two years to reach 1,000 points before her senior campaign. Kim Mestdagh hit the mark her junior season in 2011, eclipsing 1,000 vs. UNLV on Jan. 18.
The Parker native is also just 25 rebounds away from 500. If she were to reach 1,000 points and 500 boards this season, she would be just the fifth player in CSU history to do so before her senior year. The last player to accomplish such a feat was CSU Hall of Fame member, Katie Cronin, who reached the goal 15 years ago during the 1997-98 season.
Colorado State is on the road next week at Boise State on Wednesday. The Brocos are currently 2-2 in the league with a 9-8 mark overall. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Women's basketball recap: CSU closes...
In the first round of the WNIT, the Colorado State women's basketball team fell short against in-...
Game notes: CSU welcomes in-state rival...
Colorado State (23-7) opens Round 1 of the Women's National Invitation Tournament vs. Northern...
CSU women's hoops to host Northern Colorado...
The Women's National Invitation Tournament bracket was released late Monday night. Colorado State...
Women's basketball recap: Missed layups cost...
A slow start set the tone for the Colorado State women's basketball team, which fell to San Jos&e...
CSU Rambition unites, raises awareness for...
Female student-athletes are coming together at Colorado State University through a program...
Game notes: CSU opens MW tournament as No. 1 Seed
Regular-season champion Colorado State (23-6, 15-3 MW) travels to Las Vegas, Nev., as the No. 1...
Ryder, Nystrom earn all-conference honors
Two members of the Colorado State women's basketball team were honored for their outstanding play...
Colorado State postgame quotes vs. Northern Colorado from Moby Arena. Final score: CSU 48, UNC 53.