Jan. 14, 2013
Colorado State vs. Air Force | Game 15
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||AIR FORCE FALCONS|
Colorado State (4-10, 0-1 MW) will travel two hours south to Colorado Springs to take on Air Force (2-13, 1-1) Wednesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
The Rams will follow a two-home, two-away format for most of the regular season that remains. This week CSU is at Air Force on Wednesday then at UNLV on Sunday.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season's 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on Air Force
- Air Force welcomes CSU after coming off a 12-point win at home over UNLV, 81-69. The Falcons shot only 36.6 percent and made just one three-pointer, but converted 28-of-40 from the line, taking advantage of UNLV's 30 personal fouls. Air Force outrebounded the Rebels 60-37, which included 27 on the offensive glass, good for 21 second-chance points. The Falcons were paced by Kaite Hilbig and Dymond James, who each tallied double-doubles.
- The win over UNLV is just the second victory for the Falcons this year. AFA previously defeated Rams' common-opponent CSU Bakersfield in December, 82-78, in overtime.
- The Falcons have suffered some big losses this season. Their opponents are averaging 16.2 points over AFA.
- Air Force is third in the MW in three-point field-goal percentage defense, holding its opponents to a .306 percentage. The Falcons are also second in the league in defensive rebounds, averaging 27.1 per contest.
- Head coach Andrea Williams is now in her third year at the helm. She is 17-59 after being promoted from an assistant position in 2010.
Series vs. the Falcons
- Wednesday's meeting between Colorado State and Air Force will be the 49th game between the two schools.
- This is Head Coach Ryun Willliams' first contest vs. the Falcons.
- The Rams are 37-11 vs. AFA overall with an 17-6 record in Colorado Springs.
- Colorado State is 8-1 vs. its Front Range neighbor since 2009. The one pitfall came at the MW tournament in 2011. The Falcons eliminated the Rams in the first round.
A win will...
- Give CSU its first road win of the season. The Rams are currently 0-5 in away games.
- Give the Rams their first conference road opener win since 2010, when CSU defeated UNLV in overtime, 66-65.
- Improve CSU's series streak to three games over the Falcons.
Last time at Air Force (Feb. 4, 2012)
Colorado State got off to a 10-0 start and never looked back, as the Rams got a dominating road victory over the Falcons at Clune Arena, 77-39.
It was the Rams (10-13, 6-2 MW) third win on the road this season. It was also the third time this season that CSU held its opponent to 25.0 percent or lower from the field. The Falcons (5-18, 0-8) were also victims of the Rams' defense earlier this season at Moby Arena on Jan. 11, shooting only 18.6 percent.
The Rams tied their largest victory margin of 2011-12, winning by 38 points after beating Maryville by the same margin earlier in the year.
CSU held the Falcons scoreless for almost six minutes to begin the contest on a 10-0 run. The Rams later increased their lead to 29 on an 18-2 run to close out the first stanza. The team didn't let up in the second, improving its lead to as many as 50 points.
LaDeyah Forte had an impressive afternoon with nine assists to only one turnover. Coming into today's game Forte is second in the conference in assists and assists-to-turnover ratio.
Sam Martin was the Rams' leading scorer with 20 points, including a perfect 7-7 from the line. Kim Mestdagh joined her in double figures with 18 points, including a flawless 6-6 from the charity stripe. The senior also tied a career high with eight assists.
Morgan Hunt tallied a career-high eight rebounds in 23 minutes on the court. She also scored a Mountain West best eight points.
Alicia Leipprandt, the Falcons leading scorer, was inactive in the past two contests, but entered the game at the 14 minute mark of the first half. She was held to five points. Katie Hilbig, who hasn't played since Dec. 7, also entered the game during the first half, scoring four points on the day. Not a single player for the Falcons scored more than six points.
Colorado State takes its first flight in nearly three weeks to Las Vegas, Nev., to challenge UNLV on Sunday. The Rebels are currently 1-1 in the league with a 5-11 mark overall. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT, and the game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Colorado State’s two-year run puts school...
After a tremendous 2014-15 year in athletics, the Colorado State Rams continued their momentum...
CSU earns No. 11 seed in NCAA Tournament
The Colorado State Rams have waited since 2002 for a return to the NCAA Tournament, and now, they...
Women's basketball NCAA Tournament watch...
The 2016 Mountain West champion Colorado State women’s basketball knows it will be playing ...
Recap: Nystrom's last-second free throws lift...
After 31 games and a 30-1 record, Colorado State’s NCAA Tournament chances were still up in...
Notes: Rams battle Fresno State for Mountain...
No. 22/22 Colorado State faces the No. 2 seed, Fresno State, in the championship of the 2016...
Rams Fall Short to USF 48-45 in the NCAA First ...
Courtney Williams came off the bench and scored 31 points and No. 6 seed South Florida held on ...
Recap: Smothering defense guides Rams to MW...
Facing a tough and physical matchup in the fifth-seeded New Mexico Lobos, top-seeded and No. 22...
Recap: Rams take down New Mexico 60-42
Elin Gustavsson scored 18 points on Wednesday night and No. 22 Colorado State beat fifth-seeded...