Jan. 11, 2013
Colorado State vs. San Diego State | Game 14
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS|
Colorado State (4-9, 0-0 MW) is home to begin conference play, hosting San Diego State (9-5, 0-1) on Sunday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT and the game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
The Rams are getting a late start to the Mountain West slate, with every other team in the conference having already played once. SDSU travels to Fort Collins after a loss at home to league-newcomer Fresno State on Wednesday.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season’s 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network. Rich Cellini will provide the play-by-play, while Tammy Blackburn is the color analyst. The Rams will have two additional games on the network this regular season.
The game will also be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all non-televised home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on San Diego State
- Down by as much as 20 early in the second half, the Aztecs comeback attempt fell short on Wednesday. Fresno State defeated SDSU, 80-72, in San Diego. Chelsea Hopkins tallied her fourth double-double (18p, 10a) in the past five games and Courtney Clements registered a team-high 20 points, but it wasn't enough to edge the Bulldogs, who converted nine treys and shot 15-of-18 from the line.
- Preseason all-conference team members Clements and Hopkins lead San Diego State with 18.4 and 12.4 points per game, respectively. Hopkins averages an impressive 7.4 assists per contest, ranking sixth in the nation, while adding 7.0 rebounds.
- The Aztecs are 16th in the country in turnovers per game, with just 13.9 mistakes per matchup.
- The team ranks in the top 50 in five additional categories, including a 39th-place field-goal percentage at .435. SDSU and CSU are tied in blocks per game, with 5.0 each.
- San Diego State comes into Fort Collins with a 9-5 record overall. The Aztecs have losses at Colorado (67-53) and at home vs. No. 13/14 Oklahoma State (80-72).
- Beth Burns is in her 16th season with San Diego State. The two-time defending championship coach boasts a 277-184 record with the school.
Series vs. the Aztecs
- Sunday's meeting between Colorado State and San Diego State will be the 44th game between the two schools.
- This is Head Coach Ryum Willliams' first contest vs. the Aztecs.
- The Rams are 18-25 vs. SDSU overall with an 11-9 record in Fort Collins.
- CSU has won three of the past four meetings vs. SDSU, dating back to Feb. 2, 2011.
A win will...
- Keep the Rams over the .500 mark at home this season. CSU is currently 4-3 in Moby.
- Give Colorado State a 1-0 start in conference play. The Rams have opened the last two MW seasons with a win in their first home game.
- Give CSU a two-game series streak over the Aztecs.
Last time vs. San Diego State (Feb. 25, 2012)
The Colorado State women's basketball team won in the final minutes against San Diego State, 68-65, at Moby Arena.
The game went down to the final seconds as CSU (13-15, 9-4 Mountain West) and San Diego State (22-6, 11-2) both battled for the win. But Colorado State came out on top.
Both teams came out firing from the gate, going back and forth to score a bucket. CSU got its first lead at the 11:49 mark, and then went on a 15-4 run to take advantage of the Aztecs' missed shots.
The Rams found their hot spot by junior Meghan Heimstra coming off of the bench and scoring 13 points in nine minutes. Mestdagh hit her first three-pointer with 7:27 to play in the first half to make the crowd go crazy.
Colorado State looked to be slowed down at the end of the half. San Diego State cut the Rams' lead from 13 to two. There was a lot of momentum to start the second half, just like the first half, with both teams taking turns to score.
The Rams got their energy back when freshman LaDeyah Forte made a basket to give the Rams a 64-62 lead with 43 seconds to go. On San Diego State's ensuing possession, the Aztecs threw the ball away to give Colorado State the ball with 28 seconds left. The Rams kept their cool and came out with the win.
Heimstra dominated the game by driving to the basket and making aggressive plays. She achieved a career-high 21 points, and was 8-for-9 from the free-throw line. She also had one block, two assists and four rebounds.
Mestdagh scored 16 points, going 2-for-6 behind the arc. She had six assists and four rebounds. Forte ended up with 10 points, three assists and five rebounds. Senior Kelly Hartig had six points, six rebounds, two assists and two blocks.
With the win, CSU completed its home conference scheduled undefeated for the first time since the 2002-03 season.
Colorado State takes its first road trip of the New Year south to Colorado Springs to challenge Air Force on Wednesday. The Falcons are currently in last place in the league with a 1-13 record. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Recap: Timely fourth-quarter shooting lifts...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team held the UNLV Lady Rebels to 22 points through...
Preview: Rams return home for Saturday matinee ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team returns home to Moby Arena for a 2 p.m. MT...
Recap: Rams’ defense keys 60-53 win at...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team held Boise State to 16 first-half points and...
Preview: Rams open second half of conference...
With nine conference games in the books, the Mountain West-leading Colorado State women’s...
CSU's Elin Gustavsson named Mountain West...
Fresh off her career-best scoring performance against San Diego State, Colorado State senior...
Recap: Gustavsson scores career-high 32 points ...
Senior forward Elin Gustavsson led the Colorado State women’s basketball team in scoring...
Preview: Rams host San Diego State at Moby...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team returns to Moby Arena this weekend for a...
Sportswomen of Colorado honors CSU with four...
DENVER - The Colorado State Rams picked up four honors from the Sportswomen of Colorado, the...