Jan. 9, 2014
Colorado State at Fresno State | Game 15
Jan. 11 | 3 p.m. MT | Fresno, Calif. | Save Mart Center (15,596)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS|
Colorado State (11-3, 3-0 MW) is on the road challenging Fresno State (9-5, 3-0 MW) for sole possession of first place in the Mountain West Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 3 p.m. MT at the Save Mart Center (15,596).
CSU and Fresno State are two of three teams undefeated in Mountain West action. Utah State has already had its bye-week, and sits in third place with a 2-0 record (8-5 overall). Colorado State hosts the Aggies next week.
Off to their best start in 12 years, the Rams are looking to keep the win streak alive on the road. CSU is looking to tie the highest number of road wins the program has had since the 2003-04 campaign with five.
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second MW campaign with the Rams.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the Mountain West Network at CSURams.com/videos.
About Fresno State
- Fresno State is 5-3 at home this season, with losses to USC (63-54), San Francisco (76-47), and No. 4 Stanford (86-54). The Bulldogs most recently opened the conference home schedule with a win over Boise State, 72-63 on Jan. 4.
- The Bulldogs have three players averaging double figures. They are led by senior guard Taylor Thompson with 12.9 per game, followed by Alex Sheedy at 12.1 and Bree Farley at 11.0. Moriah Faulk is just below the 10-point mark, at 9.4 per contest.
- Jacinta Vandenberg is the team's leader on the glass with 6.9 rebounds per game. Sheedy, who averages 6.1 boards, leads the squad on the offensive glass with 29 on the season.
- Through three games, Fresno State leads the conference in scoring margin, averaging one point more than CSU at plus-19.7. The team is also ranked first in field-goal percentage (.469), three-point percentage (.407), rebounding defense (33.7) and defensive rebounding percentage (.718).
- The Bulldogs average one of the larger crowds in the league, with more than 2,500 fans on hand at the Save Mart Center this season.
Series vs. the Bulldogs
- Saturday's meeting is the 13th game between the two schools. Colorado State has the upper hand in the series, with an 8-4 record over the Bulldogs all-time.
- The Rams are 5-1 in Fresno, losing their first game at the Save Mart Center last season, 49-42.
- After a 16-year hiatus, MW members Colorado State and Fresno State restarted the home-and-home series last year. Since then, FS is on a two-game win streak.
A win will...
- Extend the Rams' win streak to eight games overall, and five games on the road. CSU is undefeated on the road at 4-0 this season.
- Be the Rams' longest win streak since the 2000-01 season, when CSU won eight in a row to begin the season.
- Tie for the sixth-longest win streak in program history.
- Match the highest number of road wins the program has had since the 2003-04 campaign with five.
- Improve Head Coach Ryun Williams record during his tenure at CSU to 23-22. The last CSU head coach to have a positive record was Chris Denker (2003-05), who posted a .525 win ratio.
- Surpass the total number of victories from last season (11) with 12 wins on the year.
Last time at Fresno State (Feb. 27, 2013)
Pitted against a well-disciplined Bulldog team, Colorado State cut a 21-point deficit to seven, but ran out of time. Fresno State defeated the Rams, 49-42, at the Save Mart Center.
The loss keeps the Rams (9-17, 5-8 Mountain West) in the sixth-place spot in the conference standings. Fresno State improved to 19-8 overall and 11-3 in the MW, and remains second in the league.
Fresno State’s Rosie Moult was deadly from beyond the arc in the first half, making four threes. The senior single-handedly took over the lead midway through the first stanza, scoring 10 points on four consecutive treys, including one with a foul.
The Rams 14 first half points tied for the second-lowest mark in a half this season. The team suffered a five-and-a-half minute scoring drought in later stages of the frame, allowing the Bulldogs to increase their lead to double figures.
Taylor Varsho provided a spark for the Rams off the bench in the second. She tallied eight points, making two outside the three-point line.
Fresno State, which began its last meeting with the Rams on a 17-0 run, missed its first five shots. The Bulldogs converted their first shot at 15:49. The Bulldogs’ 49 points tied for their lowest tally all season, and was their lowest score in a win all year.
The Rams’ leading scorer was Sam Martin. The junior finished the night with 16 points, and recorded her 100th career block with three in the contest.
Colorado State returns home to face Mountain West-newcomer Utah State (8-5, 2-0 MW) Wednesday. Tipoff at Moby Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Mountain West announces academic all-conference...
A record number of 104 Colorado State student-athletes earned Academic All-Mountain West...
Rams announce completed 2015-16 schedule
Head coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team released the...
CSU women’s hoops announces MW slate
For the second consecutive season the Colorado State women’s basketball squad will open the...
Gerber, Newton to attend NCAA Career in Sports ...
Colorado State track & field all-conference recipient Stephanie Gerber and women's basketball...
Space remaining for girl's basketball summer camps
The Colorado State women's basketball program is hosting two individual youth summer camps in...
Newton, De Ciman honored by CSU's Black/African...
Colorado State women's basketball star AJ Newton and men's basketball standout Joe De Ciman will ...
Williams adds Kantzy to fall roster
Women's basketball head coach Ryun Williams on Wednesday announced his second signee during the...
CSU announces addition of Kelemen to 2015-16...
Head Coach Ryun Williams on Friday announced the addition of Kincsö Kelemen to the Colorado ...