Jan. 9, 2014
Colorado State at Fresno State | Game 15
Jan. 11 | 3 p.m. MT | Fresno, Calif. | Save Mart Center (15,596)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS|
Colorado State (11-3, 3-0 MW) is on the road challenging Fresno State (9-5, 3-0 MW) for sole possession of first place in the Mountain West Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 3 p.m. MT at the Save Mart Center (15,596).
CSU and Fresno State are two of three teams undefeated in Mountain West action. Utah State has already had its bye-week, and sits in third place with a 2-0 record (8-5 overall). Colorado State hosts the Aggies next week.
Off to their best start in 12 years, the Rams are looking to keep the win streak alive on the road. CSU is looking to tie the highest number of road wins the program has had since the 2003-04 campaign with five.
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second MW campaign with the Rams.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the Mountain West Network at CSURams.com/videos.
About Fresno State
- Fresno State is 5-3 at home this season, with losses to USC (63-54), San Francisco (76-47), and No. 4 Stanford (86-54). The Bulldogs most recently opened the conference home schedule with a win over Boise State, 72-63 on Jan. 4.
- The Bulldogs have three players averaging double figures. They are led by senior guard Taylor Thompson with 12.9 per game, followed by Alex Sheedy at 12.1 and Bree Farley at 11.0. Moriah Faulk is just below the 10-point mark, at 9.4 per contest.
- Jacinta Vandenberg is the team's leader on the glass with 6.9 rebounds per game. Sheedy, who averages 6.1 boards, leads the squad on the offensive glass with 29 on the season.
- Through three games, Fresno State leads the conference in scoring margin, averaging one point more than CSU at plus-19.7. The team is also ranked first in field-goal percentage (.469), three-point percentage (.407), rebounding defense (33.7) and defensive rebounding percentage (.718).
- The Bulldogs average one of the larger crowds in the league, with more than 2,500 fans on hand at the Save Mart Center this season.
Series vs. the Bulldogs
- Saturday's meeting is the 13th game between the two schools. Colorado State has the upper hand in the series, with an 8-4 record over the Bulldogs all-time.
- The Rams are 5-1 in Fresno, losing their first game at the Save Mart Center last season, 49-42.
- After a 16-year hiatus, MW members Colorado State and Fresno State restarted the home-and-home series last year. Since then, FS is on a two-game win streak.
A win will...
- Extend the Rams' win streak to eight games overall, and five games on the road. CSU is undefeated on the road at 4-0 this season.
- Be the Rams' longest win streak since the 2000-01 season, when CSU won eight in a row to begin the season.
- Tie for the sixth-longest win streak in program history.
- Match the highest number of road wins the program has had since the 2003-04 campaign with five.
- Improve Head Coach Ryun Williams record during his tenure at CSU to 23-22. The last CSU head coach to have a positive record was Chris Denker (2003-05), who posted a .525 win ratio.
- Surpass the total number of victories from last season (11) with 12 wins on the year.
Last time at Fresno State (Feb. 27, 2013)
Pitted against a well-disciplined Bulldog team, Colorado State cut a 21-point deficit to seven, but ran out of time. Fresno State defeated the Rams, 49-42, at the Save Mart Center.
The loss keeps the Rams (9-17, 5-8 Mountain West) in the sixth-place spot in the conference standings. Fresno State improved to 19-8 overall and 11-3 in the MW, and remains second in the league.
Fresno State’s Rosie Moult was deadly from beyond the arc in the first half, making four threes. The senior single-handedly took over the lead midway through the first stanza, scoring 10 points on four consecutive treys, including one with a foul.
The Rams 14 first half points tied for the second-lowest mark in a half this season. The team suffered a five-and-a-half minute scoring drought in later stages of the frame, allowing the Bulldogs to increase their lead to double figures.
Taylor Varsho provided a spark for the Rams off the bench in the second. She tallied eight points, making two outside the three-point line.
Fresno State, which began its last meeting with the Rams on a 17-0 run, missed its first five shots. The Bulldogs converted their first shot at 15:49. The Bulldogs’ 49 points tied for their lowest tally all season, and was their lowest score in a win all year.
The Rams’ leading scorer was Sam Martin. The junior finished the night with 16 points, and recorded her 100th career block with three in the contest.
Colorado State returns home to face Mountain West-newcomer Utah State (8-5, 2-0 MW) Wednesday. Tipoff at Moby Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Women's Basketball Notes: Rams host Border ...
Colorado State welcomes Border War rival, Wyoming, into town with a 14-game winning streak on the...
Women's Basketball Recap: Second half...
It isn’t always easy, especially on the road. Wednesday night proved just that as the...
Women's Basketball Notes: Rams put road win...
Colorado State puts its overall and road winning streak to the test when it travels to San Jose...
Women's Basketball Recap: Rams cruise to...
In-state rival Air Force was no match for the 16-1 Colorado State Rams (6-0 MW) as the Rams won...
Women's Basketball Notes: CSU looks to...
Colorado State plays host to in-state rival, Air Force, on Wednesday night. The Falcons come into...
Women's Basketball: Arias named Mountain...
Colorado State senior forward Alana Arias was named the Mountain West Player of the Week, the...
Women's Basketball Recap: Rams take control...
The Colorado State Rams capped off a successful road trip in Logan, Utah with a convincing 69-49 ...
Women's Basketball Notes: CSU looks to keep...
Utah State plays host to Colorado State on Saturday night as the Rams look to remain unbeaten in ...