Jan. 9, 2012
CSU vs. Air Force | Game 16
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||AIR FORCE FALCONS|
Colorado State (4-11) begins conference play against the team that ended its season last year, Air Force (5-10). The Rams tipoff vs. the Falcons at 12 p.m. MT in a businessperson's special.
The Falcons are coming off a loss to Longwood at home, 59-48, Saturday. They bring a 3-6 road record to Moby Arena.
CSU's Kim Mestdagh earned the preseason Player of the Year title to start the 2011-12 season. She was the first to earn the honor since Becky Hammon in 1998-99. CSU was picked to finish third in the final standings. It was the highest prediction for the Rams since the 2002-03 season, when CSU was picked to finish in second place.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, in his third season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game audio will also be available via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com.
Rams vs. Falcons series...
Wednesday's meeting between Colorado State and Air Force will be the 47th game between the two schools. This is Head Coach Kristen Holt's seventh contest vs. AFA.
Holt is 6-1 vs. the Falcons during her time at CSU.
01/20/09 W, 55-50 Colo. Springs
02/21/09 W, 65-54 Fort Collins
01/09/10 W, 74-68 Colo. Springs
02/09/10 W, 80-46 Fort Collins
01/25/11 W, 64-58 Colo. Springs
02/26/11 W, 70-49 Fort Collins
03/08/11 L, 66-63 Las Vegas
Last time vs. AFA...
A last-second desperation shot to tie the game and send it to overtime by Kim Mestdagh was blocked March 8 ,2011 at the Thomas & Mack Center. Colorado State fell to Air Force 66-63.
The Rams, who ended the regular season in fourth place, their highest finish under Head Coach Kristen Holt, packed up and headed home ending their 2010-11 season with a 14-16 record.
Colorado State used a 15-3 run to gain an eight-point lead over the Falcons in five minutes in the first stanza. Air Force's Alicia Leipprandt then led the Falcons with 17 points on a late charge, and AFA regained the lead with just over a minute to go in the half.
Leipprandt continued her reign of terror on the Rams with a career-day 26 points. Fortunately for CSU, she fouled out with two minutes left to play. Senior Raimee Beck led the Falcons from then on, as the team refused to quit.
CSU freshman Sam Martin led the Rams with a double-double effort of 17 points and tying a career-high 12 rebounds. Mestdagh and senior Barbee also tallied double figures with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
Kelly Hartig helped raise the Rams inside presence pulling down three offensive boards in just two minutes. Her playing time was limited, however, after she received her fourth foul early in the second half.
About Air Force...
- Air Force is the only team in the MW to have played more road games than CSU this season, with a 3-6 record away from home.
- Head coach Andrea Williams is now in her second season with the Falcons. She currenlty holds a 14-32 record at Air Force.
- Air Force and CSU have both challenged North Dakota this season, with both teams earning victories. CSU defeated the Sioux 58-52 on Dec. 8, while the Falcons won 65-54 almost a month later on Jan. 5. The win over UND (7-9) snapped a five-game losing streak for the Falcons.
- Sophomore Cherae Medina and junior Dymond James have both missed games recently due to injuries. They are expected to return to the court this week. Junior Katie Hilbig is not expected to play until later this month because of injury.
- Junior Alicia Leipprandt is the team's leading scorer averaging 15.2 points per game, followed by Dymond James who averages 11.3.
- Defensively, James leads the team with 7.1 boards per contest, however Leipprandt has a team-high 31 offensive rebounds this season.
- Megan O'Neil, a 6-2 sophomore, is the team's leading blocker, with 21 on the year, ranking fifth in the league statistics.
- Senior Jamela Satterfield pulled down a career-high 12 rebounds vs. Longwood in the 59-48 loss on Saturday. She also recorded six steals.
- In the loss to the Lancers, the Falcons allowed 15 second chance points and 22 points off of 24 turnovers. Leipprandt did not score a field goal, as all six of her points came from the charity stripe.
- Last season the Falcons finished with three wins in MW play, defeating San Diego State (61-58), TCU (60-55) and UNLV (91-87) during the regular season. They return five out of six players who started the majority of games last season.
Last time out...
It was a tale of two halves as Colorado State relinquished a nine-point lead, allowing Seattle to pull away at the Connolly Center. The Rams fell to the Redhawks 61-43 Sunday afternoon.
CSU (4-11) enjoyed its lead until late in the first half, when the Redhawks (10-6) regained the advantage with 13 minutes remaining in the second stanza, taking an 11-point lead on a 14-0 run. The Rams did not score a single field goal in the second half until the 9:48 mark, and shot a .227 percentage in the final half of the game.
The Rams committed 24 turnovers, and the Redhawks took full advantage, scoring 29 points off the team's giveaways.
Kim Mestdagh broke her scoreless streak with a quick three pointer five minutes into the contest. She finished the game with her first double-digit score since Dec. 20, scoring 10 on the afternoon. Kara Spotton also recorded double figures in her second-consecutive tallying 11 points.
Sam Martin's playing time was limited due to a nagging knee injury. She tallied four rebounds, including a team-high three offensive boards in seven minutes in the first half.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Preview: No. 1 seed Rams face No. 4 seed Boise ...
The top-seeded Colorado State women’s basketball team is set to take on the No. 4 seed...
Recap: Rams advance to MW Championship...
Behind double-doubles from seniors Elin Gustavsson and Ellen Nystrom, the Colorado State women...
Preview: No. 1-seeded Rams begin Mountain West ...
Fresh off an unprecedented fourth consecutive regular-season Mountain West title, the Colorado...
Rams' Nystrom repeats as MW player of the year,...
Colorado State’s Ellen Nystrom has been named Mountain West Player of the Year for the...
Recap: Rams defeat Nevada, 64-51, on Senior Night
In the final regular-season home game of their careers, seniors Elin Gustavsson and Ellen Nystrom...
Preview: Rams close regular season with Senior ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team will celebrate the careers of Elin Gustavsson...
Recap: Slow start proves costly as Rams fall at...
The Colorado State women's basketball team was unable to recover from a slow start at Wyoming, as...
Preview: Rams travel for Border War, close...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team closes out the regular season this week, as the ...