Jan. 6, 2014
Colorado State vs. San José State | Game 14
Jan. 8 | 7 p.m. MT | Fort Collins, Colo. | Moby Arena (8,745)
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||SAN JOSÉ STATE SPARTANS|
Colorado State (10-3, 2-0 MW) welcomes Mountain West-newcomer San José State (6-7, 0-2 MW) Wednesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT at Moby Arena (8,745).
Off to their best start in 12 years, the Rams are looking to keep the win streak alive at home in Moby. It will be a reunion for junior guard AJ Newton, who played for the Spartans two years ago before transferring to Foothill College and then coming to CSU.
Dawning a whole new look this season, Head Coach Ryun Williams and the Colorado State women’s basketball team have hopes of becoming a top competitor in the Mountain West as Williams begins his second MW campaign with the Rams.
The game will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fifth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available via the Mountain West Network at CSURams.com/videos.
About San José State
- SJSU has a small rotation, playing just eight players this season.
- The Spartans are 0-2 to begin the MW slate, with losses to Utah State (78-65) and Nevada (101-74).
- Thanks to six games scoring 90 or more points, SJSU is averaging 82.1 per game this season, ranking second in the league. The Spartans have lost just one game this season when they reach their average point tally (103-99 loss at Sacramento State).
- A transfer from Nebraska, Rebecca Woodberry leads the MW and is 11th in the nation in three-pointers per game (3.23). She has 42 treys on the year.
- The Spartans have four players averaging double figures on the season. They are led by Ta’Rea Cunnigan (18.6), Woodberry (14.2), Classye James (13.7) and Jasmine Smith (11.9).
- In San José State's most recent loss vs. Utah State, a nine-minute first-half scoring drought was to blame. James (15) and Cunnigan (13) both scored double digits, Byrd and Smith each registered 10 rebounds.
- Cunnigan, a preseason all-MW nod, is second in the conference in scoring average. She's hit 20 points on five occasions this year.
Series vs. the Spartans
- Wednesday's meeting is the eighth game between the two schools. Colorado State has the upper hand in the series, with a 6-1 record over the Spartans all-time.
- The Rams are undefeated in Moby vs. SJSU with a 3-0 mark in the series.
- The two teams last played each other in December of 2006 in Fort Collins. Senior Molly Nohr led the team with 18 points en route to the 76-57 victory.
A win will...
- Extend the Rams' win streak to seven games overall, and six games in Moby. CSU is 6-1 on its home court this season.
- Be the Rams' longest win streak since the 2000-01 season, when CSU won eight in a row to begin the season.
- Improve Head Coach Ryun Williams record during his tenure at CSU to .500, at 22-22. The last CSU head coach to have a positive record was Chris Denker (2003-05), who posted a .525 win ratio.
- Tie the total number of victories from last season at 11.
Colorado State heads to California Saturday to take on the MW preseason-favorite Fresno State (8-5, 2-0 MW). Tipoff at the Save Mart Center is scheduled for 3 p.m. MT.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Recap: Williams earns historic win as Rams take...
The Colorado State women's basketball rallied from a five-point deficit with one minute remaining...
CSU’s women’s basketball game on as...
Colorado State’s women’s basketball game against San Jose State will be played as...
Preview: Rams continue conference play with...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team continues Mountain West play this week, hosting ...
Recap: Rams fall to Boise State, 51-45, ending ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball made a strong comeback effort in the final minute of ...
Preview: Rams host Boise State in Mountain West...
Following a win on the road to start Mountain West play, the Colorado State women’s...
Recap: Tryggedsson's second-quarter offensive...
Locked in a close battle with UNLV in the first half, the Rams used a 12-0 run at the end of the ...
Preview: Rams open MW schedule at UNLV, at home...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team is set to open Mountain West play this week, as ...
Recap: Rams close non-conference schedule with ...
The Colorado State women’s basketball team closed its non-conference schedule with its...