Jan. 2, 2013
Colorado State vs. South Dakota Mines | Game 13
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||SOUTH DAKOTA MINES HARDROCKERS|
Colorado State (3-9) is home to begin new year, hosting South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (9-5) on Friday. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT.
Looking to begin 2013 with a clean slate, the Rams will face a tough opponent in SD Mines, who is completing the transition to Division-II this season from the NAIA.
With the return of two-time all-conference selection, Sam Martin, and the reigning Mountain West Sixth Player of the Year, Meghan Heimstra, the Rams will look to improve upon last season’s 13-17 record. Sophomore LaDeyah Forte leads Colorado State from the point guard position. She finished second in assist-to-turnover ratio in the MW in her rookie year.
The games will be broadcast live on AM 1410 KIIX. Matt Wozniak, now in his fourth season with the Rams, calls all the action. Live game video will also be available for all home contests via Rams All-Access subscription on CSURams.com, and for the first time, fans will be able to listen to every Rams' game for free on Rams All-Access.
Scouting Report on SD Mines
- The Lady 'Rockers will travel to Moby Arena from Laramie, Wyo., after playing a mid-season exhibition matchup at Wyoming on Thursday. The team is familar with playing back-to-back games, having played nine out of 14 this season.
- SD Mines is 4-4 away from home this season, but the team is on a two-game road skid at Fort Hays State (96-58) and Nebraska-Kearney (59-55).
- South Dakota Mines has three players averaging double figures on the court. The Hardrockers are led by Olivia Antilla (14.7), Katie Strandholm (12.8) and Hillary Hawkins (12.4).
- Defensively Hawkins leads the team on the glass with 5.4 boards per game, followed by Antilla with 5.2.
- Head Coach Barb Felderman is now in her 32nd second with the Hardrockers. She boasts a 458-386 record, with 13 conference championships and two final four appearances in the NAIA tournament.
Series vs. the Hardrockers
- This is the first meeting between CSU and South Dakota Mines.
- This will also be Head Coach Ryun Williams first time challenging the Hardrockers while leading a Division-I school.
A win will...
Push the Rams over the .500 mark at home this season. CSU is currently 3-3 in Moby.
Mark the fourth non-conference win this season, tying last year's pre-league win record. Last season the Rams were 4-11 heading into MW play.
Another 100 for Heimstra
Friday's matchup vs. South Dakota Mines will be Meghan Heimstra's 100th career game played at Colorado State. As the only senior, she will be only player on the 2012-13 roster with 100 games under her belt.
Here are the Longmont native's career numbers and where she falls in the top 20 in the CSU record books:
|Rebounds per game||5.59||18th|
Colorado State opens Mountain West action at home vs. preseason-favorite San Diego State on Jan. 13. The Aztecs are currently in second place in the league with an 8-4 record. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT and will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
CSU Rambition unites, raises awareness for...
Female student-athletes are coming together at Colorado State University through a program...
Game notes: CSU opens MW tournament as No. 1 Seed
Regular-season champion Colorado State (23-6, 15-3 MW) travels to Las Vegas, Nev., as the No. 1...
Ryder, Nystrom earn all-conference honors
Two members of the Colorado State women's basketball team were honored for their outstanding play...
Colorado State postgame quotes vs. Northern Colorado from Moby Arena. Final score: CSU 48, UNC 53.
CSU's Gustavsson named MW Player of the Week
Sophomore forward Elin Gustavsson has been named Mountain West Women's Basketball Player of the...
Women's basketball recap: Rams win MW title...
For the first time since 1999, the Colorado State women's basketball team (23-6, 15-3) has won...
Four Rams earn Sportswomen of Colorado recognition
Four Rams will be represented at this weekend's Sportswomen of Colorado banquet, which recognizes...
Game notes: CSU looks to secure outright MW...
Colorado State (22-6, 14-3 MW) closes out the regular season with the team's annual Senior Night ...