Dec. 21, 2013
COLORADO STATE (7-6, 5-3 MW) vs. WASHINGTON STATE (6-6, 4-5 PAC-12)
LINKS: Roster | Media Guide | Schedule | Gameday Central Page
KICKOFF: 12 p.m. MT
TV: ESPN —Mark Jones (play-by-play), Brock Huard (analyst) and Jessica Mendoza (sideline).
RADIO: CSU Flagship: KJAC 105.5 FM CSU Rams Radio Network: KREL-AM 1580 ESPN (Colorado Springs), KSIR-AM 1010 (Fort Morgan), KRFD-FM 94.5 (Sterling), and KNZZ-AM 1100 (Grand Junction)
COLORADO STATE FOOTBALL HEADLINES:
Dec. 20: Barrett, Biard accept invitations to all-star games
Dec. 18: New Mexico Bowl press conference - CSU
Dec. 18: CSU football receives four NLIs on junior college signing day
Dec. 12: Rams running back Bibbs named to Walter Camp All-America second team
Colorado State (7-6, 5-3) and Washington State (6-6, 4-5) will square off on Saturday, Dec. 21 in the 2013 Gildan New Mexico Bowl. This is the first bowl appearance for the Rams since 2008, a 40-35 victory in the New Mexico Bowl over Fresno State. The Cougars play in a bowl for the first time since 2003 when they defeated Texas 28-20 in the Holiday Bowl. Dec. 21 represents the first meeting between Colorado State and Washington State and kickoff is set for 12 p.m. MT at University Stadium in Albuquerque, N.M. Fans can watch the Rams try to win their second New Mexico Bowl on ESPN.
A victory over the Cougars would give the Rams eight wins, the most since 2002 as Sonny Lubick led CSU to a 10-win season and a Mountain West Championship.
NOTES IN 140 | #CSURams | #1TTD | #MWFB
- A victory against @WSUCougFB would give the Rams their most wins since 2002 when CSU won @mountainwest championship & finished 10-4
- The Rams enter bowl season with their first winning regular season record since ‘05, placing them in a bowl for first time since ‘08
- Since playing at Alabama (9/21), CSU is 6-3 and has avg. 512.7 total yds. & avg. 231.9 rushing yards, both top-20 in the nation in that span
- Through 13 games the Rams are averaging 202.7 rushing yards, their most since 2002 (205.7)
- CSU is the only team in NCAA FBS with a 3,200-yard passer and 1,500-yard rusher (Grayson - 3,327 & Bibbs - 1,572)
- CSU is on pace for the highest avg. yards/game in program history with 461.2. In 1996, CSU set the bar with an average of 458.9 yards/game
- The Rams have recorded 500-plus yards of total offense in seven games this season, a CSU single-season record
- CSU is averaging 35.3 points per game in 2013. The last time the Rams averaged 30-plus points per game was in 1997 (36.6)
- The Rams have improved their scoring output by 67%, from 21.2 in 2012 to 35.3 this season
- Under @CoachMcElwain the Rams are 9-2 when leading at halftime and 10-1 with the lead after 3 quarters
- The Rams ran 109 offensive plays vs. @BroncoSportFB on Nov. 2, a program record and third-most in #MWFB history
- In 13 games CSU has scored 459 points which ranks as the second-best scoring output in a single season, trailing the Rams of ‘97 (477)
- CSU hung 50+ points on UTEP (59), WYO (52), UNM (66) & AFA (58) this year, the first CSU team to score 50 on 4 opponents in a single season
- 66 points at New Mexico is tied for third-most in program history and the second-most vs. a conference opponent all-time
- Prior to 59-point outburst vs. UTEP the Rams hadn’t scored 50-plus points since Oct. 8, 2003 at BYU, a span of 3,666 days
- OC Weston Richburg has graded above 90% in every game with 45 knockdowns, incl. 7 vs. Boise St.
- OL Ty Sambrailo, a junior from Watsonville, Calif., has graded above 89% in every game and has recorded 34 knockdown blocks
- SR RB Chris Nwoke ranks 10th all-time in CSU history with 2,455 rushing yards.
- SO RB Kapri Bibbs has rushed for 1,572 yards, the most in #MWFB and eighth-most among all NCAA FBS running backs
- With 1,572 rushing yards, Bibbs has the second-most single-season rushing yards at CSU & needs only 30 yards to secure the top spot
- In a 2-game span (vs. Nev, at UNM), Bibbs ran the ball 68 times for 603 yds. (8.9 avg.) and scored 10 touchdowns
- Bibbs leads the nation in rushing TDs (28) & total TDs (28). The 28 rushing TDs are the most by a CSU rusher in a single season & rank 5th career
- Bibbs set a school record rushing for 312 yards on 30 carries vs. Nevada on Nov. 9; It was previously held by Tony Alford in 1989 (28-310)
- Bibbs set a school record and tied a @mountainwest record scoring six rushing touchdowns at New Mexico on Nov. 16
- Bibbs owns two of CSU’s three highest single-game rushing performances (312 vs. Nevada; 291 at New Mexico)
- Bibbs broke off an 85-yd TD run vs. Nevada, the 3rd-longest scoring run in program history and longest play since ‘03 (BVP to Anderson - 86)
- Bibbs became only the fourth player to score at least 3 TDs in five consecutive games, joining Barry Sanders, Paul Hewitt & Montee Ball
- Tied Barry Sanders (Oklahoma State, 1988) regular single-season record, scoring at least three rushing touchdowns in seven games
- Bibbs now owns the school single-season points record with 168 more than 4 FBS teams (Miami (OH), FIU, UMASS, & South Florida)
- CSU’s offensive line starters have a combined 159 starts, which ties for 11th in #NCAA according to @philsteele042
- JR TE Kivon Cartwright became the first CSU player to score multiple receiving TDs in back-to-back games (UTEP & SJSU) since Paul Turner in 1995
- SR TE Crockett Gillmore leads all MW TEs with 533 receiving yards, the 4th-most by a CSU tight end in a single season
- Against Boise State, JR QB Garrett Grayson threw for a career-high 397 yards, the 10th most in program history
- Grayson’s 3,327 passing yards is a Colorado State single-season record & his 4,815 career yards rank 10th in CSU history
- Grayson has now thrown 30 touchdowns in his career, a number that ranks ninth-most all-time at Colorado State
- With Bradlee Van Pelt in attendance, Grayson broke BVP’s single-game total offense record accumulating 445 total yards (397 pass, 48 rush) vs. BSU
- Grayson threw 3 TDs in three straight games (UTEP, SJSU, WYO), a feat that a Rams QB hasn’t accomplished since Terry Nugent in 1982
- FR WR Rashard Higgins had 10 receptions vs. BSU (11/2), setting a career high and tying a CSU freshman record
- Higgins’ 64 receptions are the most by a CSU freshman wide receiver in a single season and the sixth-most in program history
- WR Charles Lovett has a catch in 20 straight games in which he has played. Lovett’s last game without a catch was Nov. 19, 2011 at TCU
- SR LB Shaquil Barrett was named @mountainwest Defensive Player of the Year, the first Ram defender to earn this honor since Rick Crowell in 2000
- Barrett’s 20.5 TFL is a #MWFB record and is 4th-most in the #NCAA while his average of 1.6 per game is 10th in the country
- Barrett’s 20.5 TFL ranks as the 3rd-best single season effort in program history
- Barrett’s sack total of 12.0 is third-most in the country and ranks as the 3rd-most in a single season at Colorado State
- In his career Barrett has registered 18 sacks, the 7th-most in CSU history
- Barrett’s 13-tackle, 3-sack, 2-FF performance vs. UTEP earned him Bronko Nagurski Defensive POW honors, only the 2nd Ram to earn this award
- Barrett blocked 2 kicks vs. Cal Poly (9/14) & confirmed through research dating back to 1970, Barrett is the first Ram to block two kicks in one game
- S Trent Matthews has picked off four passes this season, tying for the most by a Ram since 2009 and tied for fourth-most in #NCAA
- LB Max Morgan racked up 20 tackles at Utah State, the most by a CSU defender since Karl Ballard (20) vs. BYU on Oct. 15, 2005
- Morgan has 129 tackles this season, the most by a CSU defender since Willie Taylor’s 146 in 1996
- After allowing opponents to convert 48 percent of their third-down tries last season, the #CSURams have reduced the rate to 36 percent this year
- CSU’s defense held Utah State to only 43 passing yards, the fewest passing yards allowed since Oct. 31, 2003 vs. AFA (29)
- CSU’s defense held @AlabamaFTBL to 66 yards rushing, the lowest total by the Crimson Tide since Oct. 9, 2010 (36)
- The Rams are averaging 13.3 yards per punt return compared with a 9.5 average in 2012
- Opponents avg. just 9.6 yards/punt return after averaging 12.0 a year ago, and 21.0 yards/kickoff return compared to 23.5 last year.
- Kicker Jared Roberts averages 1.3 FGs/game, 2nd in #MWFB and 35th nationally
- Against Air Force Roberts connected on a 54-yard FG, a career long and the longest by a CSU kicker since C.W. Hurst’s 54-yarder in 1999
- Roberts’ 86.7 field goal percentage makes him the most accurate kicker in CSU history with a minimum of 25 attempts (26-of-30)
- LB Shaquil Barrett earned MW Special Teams Player of the Week after blocking two Cal Poly field goals (9/14)
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Rosters set for Saturday's Green and Gold...
Colorado State's annual Green and Gold Spring Game is just two days away, with the scrimmage set ...
Green and Gold Spring Game
Postgame quotes from QB Nick Stevens, WR Joe Hansley and RB Treyous Jarrells after annual Green...
Green and Gold Spring Game
Quotes from head coach Mike Bobo after Saturday's annual Green and Gold Spring Game
Mini plans, group tickets on sale for 2015...
Colorado State Athletics is excited to announce that football mini-plan packages and group...
Annual Green and Gold Spring Game set for Saturday
The Colorado State football team will play its annual Green and Gold Spring Game on Saturday,...
Spring Football Notebook: Practice 12
The Colorado State football program began its final week of spring camp on Tuesday afternoon, the...
Ten Rams earn Academic All-Colorado recognition...
The Colorado Chapter of the National Football Foundation released its Academic All-Colorado team ...
CB & Potts to donate percentage of all...
Before spring football began, graduate assistant Ricky Santo was diagnosed with Hodgkin's...