Oct. 25, 2013
COLORADO STATE (3-4, 1-1 MW) at HAWAI'I (0-6, 0-4 MW)
Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013 -- Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, Hawaii
KICKOFF: 6:06 p.m. (HT) / 10:06 (MT)
TV: Oceanic/Time Warner (in Hawaii) | Livestream on CSURams.com
Robert Kekaula (play-by-play), Nate Ilaoa, Mike Lafaele, Lori Santi (sidelines)
RADIO: CSU Flagship: KJAC 105.5 FM | Hawaii Flagship: ESPN 1420 AM
CSU Rams Radio Network: KREL-AM 1580 ESPN (Colorado Springs), KSIR-AM
1010 (Fort Morgan), KRFD-FM 94.5 (Sterling), and KNZZ-AM 1100 (Grand Junction)
THIS WEEK: The Rams (3-4, 1-1) travel to Honolulu for Saturday's Mountain West contest at Aloha Stadium against the Rainbow Warriors. Colorado State takes to the road for the second week in a row, following last week's 52-22 win at Wyoming. The Rams travel to Honolulu for the 12th time in their history and the first time since 1996. CSU won that game 28-16.
SERIES VS. HAWAII: The Rams hold a 12-9 edge in the all-time series, and have won the past four meetings. Last season the two teams met at Hughes Stadium for CSU's annual Orange Out on Oct. 27, a 42-27 Rams win.
RADIO/TV: Saturday's game will be televised by Oceanic/Time Warner on a pay-per-view basis in Hawaii, but fans can also find it for free on the new Mountain West Network. The MWN offers free access to live events for fans across the world. Fans can find the event on CSURams.com or TheMW.com. CSU fans can listen to the game on the Colorado State Radio Network with new Voice of the Rams Gary Miller alongside Brian Roth (analyst) and Kevin McGlue (sideline). The network includes flagship KJAC-FM 105.5 ESPN and affiliates KREL-AM 1580 ESPN (Colorado Springs), KSIR-AM 1010 (Fort Morgan), KRFD-FM 94.5 (Sterling), and KNZZ-AM 1100 (Grand Junction).
TRAVEL NOTE: Colorado State is playing back-to-back road games for the first time this season, and they are two trips with very different travel demands. Last Saturday the Rams bused 67 miles to Laramie for their game against the Cowboys. Friday they drove roughly that distance just to get to Denver International Airport to begin their journey.
NOTES IN 140 | #CSURamsNotes | #MWFB | #1TTD
- .@CoachMcElwain picked up his first true road win of his coaching career after beating Wyoming 52-22 on Oct. 19
- Under @CoachMcElwain the Rams are 6-2 when leading at halftime and 7-1 with the lead after 3 quarters
- CSU is averaging 33.1 points per game in 2013. The last time the Rams averaged 30-plus points per game was in 1997 (36.6)
- Last season the Rams only averaged 21.2 points per game but have seen a 56% increase to this season (33.1)
- The last CSU team to score 50 points in two separate games was the 1997 Rams
- CSU's 34-27 home loss to SJSU snapped the Rams' 5-game home win streak, the longest since 2007-08
- CSU's Sept. 1 loss to CU marked the first collegiate season-opening loss for @CoachMcElwain since 2004 when he coached at Michigan State
- 59 points vs. UTEP was the most since Oct. 4, 1997 when the Rams defeated Hawai'i 63-0. The 59 points ties for the ninth most in program history
- Prior to 59-point outburst vs. UTEP the Rams hadn't scored 50-plus points since Oct. 8, 2003 at BYU, a span of 3,666 days.
- Seven true freshmen have made their collegiate debut this season (Berk, Clyburn, Higgins, Lovingood, Schlager, Simmons, Williams)
- The temperature was 98 degrees at kickoff in Tulsa (9/7), the hottest game the Rams have played since Sept. 16, 2000
- Bama's Bryant-Denny Stadium (101,821) was sold out for the Sept. 21 contest vs. the Rams. It was the largest crowd to see a game featuring CSU
- `Colorado State' was trending worldwide for 15 minutes as the Rams took on Alabama on Sept. 21
- Weston Richburg, cand. for @outlandtrophy @rimingtontrophy & @lombardiaward, has graded out above 90% in all seven games
- In those six games, Richburg has accumulated 21 knockdown blocks
- JR TE Kivon Cartwright became the first CSU player to score multiple receiving TDs in back-to-back games since Paul Turner in 1995
- Cartwright leads all MW TEs with 260 receiving yards and 6 TDs. Nationally these rank tied for 14th and first among FBS TEs, respectively
- Cartwright's six TDs are the most by a Ram pass-catcher since 2008 when Dion Morton had 10 and Kory Sperry had 6
- SO RB Kapri Bibbs has rushed for 630 yards, 4th best in #MWFB but his 6.7 avg/rush is 3rd in conference
- Bibbs set a career single-game high in rushing at Wyoming with 201 yards and three TDs
- Bibbs became the first CSU running back to rush for three TDs in multiple games in a single season since 1996 (Calvin Branch)
- Bibbs was only the 17th running back to rush for 200-plus yards in the NCAA this season
- WR Joe Hansley set a career best with seven receptions against CU (9/1)
- CSU's offensive line starters have a combined 101 starts, which ranks tied for 11th in #NCAA according to @philsteele042
- JR QB Garrett Grayson has only been sacked four times in his last 153 pass attempts
- On the year, Grayson has only been sacked seven times, which ranks 15th nationally
- Grayson has thrown 13 TDs, which ranks 28th in #NCAA, the most by a CSU QB since 2008 (Billy Farris - 19)
- Grayson has thrown 3 TDs in three straight games, a feat that a Rams QB hasn't accomplished since Terry Nugent in 1982
- After not being sacked vs. Cal Poly, Grayson wasn't sacked until the final play of the game at Alabama, a span of 120 minutes
- FR WR Rashard Higgins' 7 receptions at Alabama were the most by a CSU freshman since Chris Nwoke's 8 at Utah on Oct. 23, 2010
- Higgins' 156 receiving yards vs. UTEP are the most by a freshman in CSU history and nationally the most by a freshman this season
- WR Charles Lovett, who returned vs. SJSU after missing five games with knee injury, has a catch in 14 straight games in which he has played.
- Lovett's last game without a catch was Nov. 19, 2011 at TCU
- Shaquil Barrett's 12.5 TFL tie for third most in the #NCAA while his average of 1.8 per game is seventh in the country
- Barrett's sack total of 6.5 is fifth in the country and his 0.9 average per game is T-8th
- Barrett's 13-tackle, 3-sack, 2-FF performance vs. UTEP earned him Bronko Nagurski Defensive POW honors, only the 2nd Ram to earn this award
- Confirmed through research dating back to 1970, Barrett is the first Ram to block two kicks in one game
- S Trent Matthews has picked off three passes this season, tying for the most by a Ram since 2009 and third most in #NCAA
- S Kevin Pierre-Louis racked up 15 total tackles on Sept. 1 vs. CU, the 4th-most single-game tackles in #MWFB.
- Pierre-Louis' 14 assisted tackles is the highest total since LB Ricky Brewer's 12 at Utah on 10/23/10
- After allowing opponents to convert 48 percent of their third-down tries last season, the #CSURams have reduced the rate to 40 percent this year
- DB Bernard Blake intercepted an A.J. McCarron pass in the third quarter. McCarron had only been picked five times in two seasons prior to that point
- CSU's defense held @AlabamaFTBL to 66 yards rushing, the lowest total by the Crimson Tide since Oct. 9, 2010 (36)
- Freshman punter Hayden Hunt's 69-yd punt vs. Colorado is the longest in #MWFB. It is also the 19th-longest in #NCAA
- WR/KR Thomas Coffman is 2nd in #MWFB with a kickoff return average of 26.1 yards and his long return of 84 yards is 2nd in MW
- Coffman's kickoff return average ranks 24th in #NCAA
- WR/PR Joe Hansley is one of three #MWFB players with a punt return TD. Hansley's 74-yard return is the 12th-longest nationally
- DB/PR Tyree Simmons is averaging 11.5 yards per punt return, ranking second in #MWFB and 20th in #NCAA
- The Rams are averaging 13.9 yards per punt return compared with a 9.5 average in 2012
- Opponents avg. just 7.4 yards/punt return after averaging 12.0 a year ago, and 18.5 yards/kickoff return compared to 23.5 last year.
- .@LouGrozaAward candidate Jared Roberts averages 1.6 FGs/game, 2nd in #MWFB and 22nd nationally
- Roberts' career field goal percentage of 90.9 percent is second in the nation among active players
- Shaquil Barrett earned MW Special Teams Player of the Week after blocking two Cal Poly field goals (9/14)
- CSU is one of six teams in the country to block multiple kicks in one game and is second in #NCAA with 3 blocks on the year
- Long snapper Tanner Hedstrom has a streak of 39 consecutive games without an errant snap
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Rams close regular season in dominant fashion...
The Colorado State Rams turned in their most dominant all-around performance of the season in a...
Friend named Broyles Award nominee for 2nd year...
For the second consecutive season, Colorado State offensive coordinator Will Friend is a nominee ...
All-Access with CSU Rams Radio: San Diego State
Brian Roth and Mark Driscoll of the CSU Rams Radio Network break down last Saturday's #FarewellHu...
Game Notes: CSU football at San Diego State,...
Coming off of a bowl-clinching victory over New Mexico, the Rams travel to San Diego State to...
Recap: Rams honor Hughes with bowl-clinching...
In the 262nd and final game at Hughes Stadium, the Colorado State Rams beat the New Mexico...
CSU renames South Drive in honor of Harry Hughes
The name of the football coach who won the most games in Colorado State University history is...
Gameday: CSU football vs. New Mexico, Nov. 19
Seeking bowl eligibility, CSU will face New Mexico in the 262nd and final game ever to be played ...
All-Access with CSU Rams Radio: New Mexico
Colorado State hosts New Mexico Saturday evening in the 262nd and final game ever at Hughes...