Aaron Davis (37) and the CSU defense must swarm to the ball to counter Wyoming's offensive weapons on Saturday.
Oct. 18, 2013
The Rams football team is prepared to travel to Laramie Saturday to battle Wyoming in the Border War. CSU seeks to return the Bronze Boot to Fort Collins when it travels north for the annual rivalry game for the second year in a row. It marks the first time the Rams have had to play in Laramie in back-to-back seasons since 1963-64.
Saturday's contest between the Rams and Cowboys extends the second-longest longest continuously-running rivalry west of the Mississippi River, with the unofficial 105th Border War set for Saturday. The teams' first meeting in 1899 was a CSU forfeit win, making this week officially the 104th meeting. CSU does not recognize forfeits in all-time won-loss records.
COLORADO STATE (2-4, 0-1 MW) at WYOMING (4-2, 2-0 MW)
KICKOFF: 12:08 p.m.
TV: ROOT Sports--Mark Neely (play-by-play), Sed Bonner (analyst), Marc Stout
(sidelines). Video streaming via CSURams.com/MWN outside ROOT viewing area
RADIO: CSU Flagship: KJAC 105.5 FM | UW Flagship: KFBC 1240 AM
CSU Rams Radio Network: KREL-AM 1580 ESPN (Colorado Springs), KSIR-AM
1010 (Fort Morgan), KRFD-FM 94.5 (Sterling), and KNZZ-AM 1100 (Grand Junction)
LIVE STATS: Gametracker
TWITTER: @CSUFootball #CSURams #1TTD | @CoachMcElwain | @ROOTSPORTS_RM
COLORADO STATE FOOTBALL HEADLINES:
Oct. 16: Eight Rams named to Phil Steele's midseason All-Mountain West team
Oct. 15: Cartwright, Gillmore earn spots on Mackey midseason watch list
Tradition starts with Bronze Boot Run Friday: This year's Border War pits Colorado State against Wyoming for the 104th meeting (CSU doesn't recognize the 1899 forfeit, or any forfeit in its all-time records), and extends the battle for the Bronze Boot in its fifth decade.
On Friday, the CSU ROTC cadets will run the ball 39 miles from Hughes Stadium to the Colorado-Wyoming border on U.S. Highway 287. Wyoming Army ROTC cadets will then run the game ball the remaining 26 miles to War Memorial Stadium in Laramie.
See below for the full story of the Bronze Boot.
NOTES IN 140 | #CSURamsNotes | #MWFB | #1TTD
- CSU's 34-27 home loss to SJSU snapped the Rams' 5-game home win streak, the longest since 2007-08
- The Rams also held a three-game home win Mountain West win streak, which was the longest since 2005
- CSU's Sept. 1 loss to CU marked the first collegiate season-opening loss for @CoachMcElwain since 2004 when he coached at Michigan State
- .@CSUFootball is seeking its first true road win since defeating Utah State in double overtime on Sept. 24, 2011
- 59 points vs. UTEP was the most since Oct. 4, 1997 when the Rams defeated Hawai'i 63-0. The 59 points ties for the ninth most in program history
- Seven true freshmen have made their collegiate debut this season (Berk, Clyburn, Higgins, Lovingood, Schlager, Simmons, Williams)
- The temperature was 98 degrees at kickoff in Tulsa (9/7), the hottest game the Rams have played since Sept. 16, 2000
- Bama's Bryant-Denny Stadium (101,821) was sold out for the Sept. 21 contest vs. the Rams. It was the largest crowd to see a game featuring CSU
- `Colorado State' was trending worldwide for 15 minutes as the Rams took on Alabama on Sept. 21
- Weston Richburg, cand. for @outlandtrophy @rimingtontrophy & @lombardiaward, has graded out above 90% in all six games
- In those six games, Richburg has accumulated 16 knockdown blocks
- JR TE Kivon Cartwright became the first CSU player to score multiple receiving TDs in back-to-back games since Paul Turner in 1995
- Cartwright leads all MW TEs with 230 receiving yards and 5 TDs. Nationally these rank tied for 11th and tied for first among FBS TEs, respectively
- 7 of Cartwright's 14 receptions have gone for a first down or touchdown
- SO RB Kapri Bibbs has rushed for 429 yards, 7th best in #MWFB but his 6.6 avg/rush is 3rd in conference
- Bibbs set a career single-game high in rushing vs. UTEP with 147 yards and three TDs
- WR Joe Hansley set a career best with seven receptions against CU (9/1)
- CSU's offensive line starters have a combined 100 starts, which ranks 12th in #NCAA according to @philsteele042
- JR QB Garrett Grayson has only been sacked four times in his last 130 pass attempts
- On the year, Grayson has only been sacked seven times, which ranks 21st nationally
- After not being sacked vs. Cal Poly, Grayson wasn't sacked until the final play of the game at Alabama, a span of 120 minutes
- FR WR Rashard Higgins' 7 receptions at Alabama were the most by a CSU freshman since Chris Nwoke's 8 at Utah on Oct. 23, 2010
- Higgins' 156 receiving yards vs. UTEP are the most by a freshman in CSU history and nationally the most by a freshman this season
- WR Charles Lovett, who returned vs. SJSU after missing five games with knee injury, has a catch in 13 straight games in which he has played.
- Lovett's last game without a catch was Nov. 19, 2011 at TCU, 695 days ago
- Shaquil Barrett's 12.5 TFL is tied for the highest total in in the #NCAA while his average of 2.1 per game is second in the country
- Barrett's sack total of 6.5 is third in the country and his 1.1 average per game is fifth
- Barrett's 13-tackle, 3-sack, 2-FF performance vs. UTEP earned him Bronko Nagurski Defensive POW honors, only the 2nd Ram to earn this award
- Confirmed through research dating back to 1970, Barrett is the first Ram to block two kicks in one game
- LB Aaron Davis averages 9.5 tackles per game, ranking 31st in the #NCAA
- S Kevin Pierre-Louis racked up 15 total tackles on Sept. 1 vs. CU, the 4th-most single-game tackles in #MWFB.
- Pierre-Louis' 14 assisted tackles is the highest total since LB Ricky Brewer's 12 at Utah on 10/23/10
- After allowing opponents to convert 48 percent of their third-down tries last season, the #CSURams have reduced the rate to 40 percent this year
- DB Bernard Blake intercepted an A.J. McCarron in the third quarter. McCarron had only been picked five times in two seasons prior to that point
- CSU's defense held @AlabamaFTBL to 66 yards rushing, the lowest total by the Crimson Tide since Oct. 9, 2010 (36)
- Freshman punter Hayden Hunt's 69-yd punt vs. Colorado is the longest in #MWFB. It is also the 19th-longest in #NCAA
- WR/KR Thomas Coffman is 2nd in #MWFB with a kickoff return average of 26.1 yards and his long return of 84 yards is 2nd in MW
- Coffman's kickoff return average ranks 22nd in #NCAA
- WR/PR Joe Hansley is one of two #MWFB players with a punt return TD. Hansley's 74-yard return is the 10th-longest nationally
- DB/PR Tyree Simmons is averaging 10.3 yards per punt return, ranking third in #MWFB and 29th in #NCAA
- The Rams are averaging 14.0 yards per punt return compared with a 9.5 average in 2012
- Opponents avg. just 7.4 yards/punt return after averaging 12.0 a year ago, and 18.6 yards/kickoff return compared to 23.5 last year.
- .@LouGrozaAward candidate Jared Roberts averages 1.7 FGs/game, 2nd in #MWFB and 21st nationally
- Roberts' career field goal percentage of 90.5 percent is the second in the nation among active players
- Shaquil Barrett earned MW Special Teams Player of the Week after blocking two Cal Poly field goals (9/14)
- CSU is one of six teams in the country to block multiple kicks in one game
- Long snapper Tanner Hedstrom has a streak of 38 consecutive games without an errant snap
STORY OF THE BRONZE BOOT
Colorado State and Wyoming will look to hoist the Bronze Boot after Saturday's 104th Border War, but what is the Bronze Boot?
Since 1968, the Bronze Boot has become possibly the most famous piece of footwear in college football history. This U.S. Army combat boot, gilded in bronze, is the traveling trophy that goes to the winning football team every year when Wyoming and CSU square off.
In the 45 years the boot has been exchanged, Wyoming owns a 24-21 advantage, making the Border War the most balanced rivalry in terms of wins and losses over the period since the boot was first introduced.
Few fans of both schools realize the history behind this famous boot before it became the trophy both schools live for each and every football season. It started as a United States-issued Army combat boot to Captain Dan Romero. Romero, a native of Colorado and 1955 graduate of Pueblo Central High School, attended Pueblo Junior College for two years before he graduated from Adams State College. While at Adams State, he met his wife and played varsity basketball and baseball.
As the war in Vietnam heated up and a draft was imminent, Romero joined the Army before he was drafted. He then attended Officer Candidate School (OCS), where he received his commission to become an officer. Romero was then sent to Vietnam for a tour of duty and in the spring of 1968 he returned to the United States, where he was assigned to the Colorado State University ROTC Military Science Department as an assistant professor. Since he was at CSU as an assistant professor, Romero enrolled as a graduate student as expected when officers are assigned to ROTC duty.
In 1968, CSU Army ROTC cadre member Maj. Vic Fernandez came up with the idea of having a trophy fitting of the rivalry between CSU and UW, an authentic, battle-tested combat boot. CSU Army ROTC graduate and cadre member Capt. Dan Romero donated a combat boot he wore during his 1966-67 tour in the Vietnam conflict. Romero had the boot bronzed and mounted on a walnut base in 1968. The base bears a plaque that holds the history of the Bronze Boot series. Close inspection of the boot will reveal small tears and cuts, scars of battle that have remained on the 48-year-old boot through the bronzing process and 45 years of travel between the rival universities.
Every year Army ROTC cadets from CSU and UW run the game ball from the visiting team's stadium to the site of the Border War game and guard the trophy until the game is over.
Romero's son, Jeff, is a Rocky Mountain High School graduate and walked onto the CSU football team in 1982 before following in his dad's footsteps in the Army. Jeff now is an FBI agent.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
11 Rams named to Phil Steele's 2015...
Phil Steele announced his 2015 Preseason All-Mountain West teams on Monday, and included were 11 ...
Single-game tickets for Rams football on sale...
Single-game tickets for Colorado State's seven home football games in 2015 will go on sale to the...
Single-game tickets for Rams football go on...
Single-game tickets for Colorado State's 2015 home football schedule will go on sale to the...
Remembering Lt. Col. John W. Mosley
He was to Colorado State University what Jackie Robinson was to Major League Baseball. On Friday ...
Amazing Grads: SteveO Michel
It's difficult to imagine a more unlikely college graduate than Steve Michel.
CSU AD presents stadium renderings to Board of ...
Joe Parker was formally introduced Thursday to the Board of Governors of the Colorado State...
Coach Bobo Football Camps to begin in June
Beginning in June, head coach Mike Bobo and his coaching staff will be hosting football camps in ...
Sambrailo, Grayson drafted into NFL on Friday
The Colorado State football program had two players selected in the second and third rounds of...