Skipper groomed Ryan Mathews at Fresno State before the Chargers selected him No. 12 overall in the 2010 NFL Draft
Jan. 5, 2012
By Zak Gilbert
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - New Colorado State Head Coach Jim McElwain continued to add to his first Rams staff Thursday, naming Tim Skipper assistant coach. McElwain initiated the announcement from New Orleans, where he is preparing for the Allstate BCS National Championship against No. 1 LSU Monday on ESPN.
Skipper is the fourth member of the inaugural staff. McElwain on Wednesday named Dave Baldwin and Tim Duffie assistant coaches, and Tom Ehlers director of football operations. CSU will announce titles and responsibilities once the full staff is in place. All three coaches already are on the road recruiting for CSU.
Tim Skipper at a glance...
- Helped RB Ryan Mathews develop into an All-American and 12th overall selection in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
- Has groomed six players that advanced to the NFL, five running backs and a linebacker.
- Coached a pair of two-time all-conference linebackers at Fresno State, Ben Jacobs and Travis Brown.
- Father, Jim Skipper, is currently the Tennessee Titans' running backs coach and enters his 39th year in coaching in 2012.
- Brother, Kelly Skipper, launched a coaching career in 1989 and currently serves as the Oakland Raiders' running backs coach.
2014 Fall Camp notebook: Day 14
As the Colorado State football program embarks on another two-a-day, the coaching staff switched ...
2014 Fall Camp notebook: Day 13
The Rams wrapped up their second week of Fall Camp on Saturday with an afternoon practice just...
2014 Fall Camp notebook: Day 12
The fourth of seven two-a-days is underway, as the Rams completed their 14th practice of Fall...
2014 Fall Camp notebook: Day 11
For the second time this Fall Camp, the Colorado State football team was forced into the indoor...
Grayson named to Manning Award watch list
With Colorado State's season-opener only 15 days away, senior quarterback Garrett Grayson's name ...
2014 Fall Camp notebook: Day 9
Tuesday was the first scrimmage of Fall Camp at Hughes Stadium, which means the players were back...
Rams complete 104-play scrimmage on Tuesday
On Tuesday afternoon the Rams completed a 104-play scrimmage in which Head Coach Jim McElwain ran...
2014 Fall Camp notebook: Day 7
The Colorado State football program completed its eighth practice of Fall Camp on Monday morning,...