Baldwin, a former head coach, served under Jack Elway for 10 years
Jan. 4, 2012
By Zak Gilbert
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Colorado State on Wednesday named Dave Baldwin and Tim Duffie assistant football coaches, and Tom Ehlers director of football operations. Head Coach Jim McElwain made the announcement.
McElwain, hired Dec. 13 as the 20th head coach in program history, will announce the titles and responsibilities of Baldwin and Duffie once his first full staff at Colorado State is in place. The offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for No. 2 Alabama, McElwain and the Crimson Tide left Wednesday for New Orleans, where they will meet No. 1 LSU in the Allstate BCS National Championship Monday night.
Baldwin at a glance:
- Enters his 33rd season as a coach, a career spent entirely at the college level.
- A Denver native, preceded John Elway at Granada Hills (Calif.) High School in the early 1970s, then coached for Elway’s father, Jack, at Cal State Northridge. Coached under the elder Elway most of his early career, with stops at Northridge, San Jose State and Stanford.
- Owns 10 seasons of head-coaching experience, five at the Division I level and five in the highly competitive California JC ranks.
- Has spent the last 11 seasons as an offensive coordinator at major-college programs, including four years (2003-06) at Michigan State, where he served with McElwain. Two of his Spartans QBs, Jeff Smoker and Drew Stanton, advanced to the NFL.
- Coached several future NFL players at Stanford, including WR Ed McCaffrey, TE Greg Baty and WR Emile Harry. Additionally, Stanford QB Brian Johnson opted to pursue a Major League Baseball career as a catcher.
- Orchestrated the largest comeback in NCAA history, a 41-38 win at Northwestern in 2006, as offensive coordinator at Michigan State.
- Garnered Rivals.com WAC Offensive Coordinator of the Year for his efforts during the 2011 season at Utah State.
|Duffie, CSU's secondary coach in 2011, is considered one the Rams' top recruiters|
Duffie at a glance:
- Initially joined the Rams as cornerbacks coach on Jan. 14, 2008. Promoted to secondary coach prior to the 2011 season, he was hired by new CSU Head Coach Jim McElwain on Jan. 4, 2012.
- Heavily involved in recruiting to CSU much of the program’s top talent, including returning starters Crockett Gillmore, an all-conference performer in his first season as a tight end in 2011, Weston Richburg, a 2010 freshman All-American, and Austin Gray, a 12-game starter at safety as a freshman in 2011. Also helped bring promising youngsters Davon Riddick, DeAndre Elliott, Mason Hathaway, Thomas Coffman, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Trent Matthews and Bernard Blake to the Rams.
- In his first season at the reins of the CSU secondary, 2011, helped the Rams finish the regular season ranked 14th in the nation against the pass, allowing just 179.6 yards per game.
- Spent nine seasons as an assistant at UTEP, where he coached nine all-conference performers, a WAC Player of the Year, and four players who went on to the NFL.
- A two-year starting linebacker at Texas Tech, once had 18 tackles in a 1999 game against Missouri.
- Lettered in four sports, garnering his conference’s football Player of the Year honors, as a prep in Jefferson, Texas.
Ehlers enters his eighth season as CSU’s director of football operations in 2012. He began his long relationship with the university as a player in 1980, and started four years for the Rams on both offensive and defensive lines, winning the WAC Scholar Athlete Award in 1984.
His 16 seasons as an assistant coach at Colorado State (1989-2004) was the longest tenure by an assistant in school history. During that time, he tutored 12 all-conference performers, including Joey Porter, Bryan Save, Clark Haggans, Adrian Ross, Brady Smith, Sean Moran and Steve Hodge.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Rosters set for Saturday's Green and Gold...
Colorado State's annual Green and Gold Spring Game is just two days away, with the scrimmage set ...
Green and Gold Spring Game
Postgame quotes from QB Nick Stevens, WR Joe Hansley and RB Treyous Jarrells after annual Green...
Green and Gold Spring Game
Quotes from head coach Mike Bobo after Saturday's annual Green and Gold Spring Game
Mini plans, group tickets on sale for 2015...
Colorado State Athletics is excited to announce that football mini-plan packages and group...
Annual Green and Gold Spring Game set for Saturday
The Colorado State football team will play its annual Green and Gold Spring Game on Saturday,...
Spring Football Notebook: Practice 12
The Colorado State football program began its final week of spring camp on Tuesday afternoon, the...
Ten Rams earn Academic All-Colorado recognition...
The Colorado Chapter of the National Football Foundation released its Academic All-Colorado team ...
CB & Potts to donate percentage of all...
Before spring football began, graduate assistant Ricky Santo was diagnosed with Hodgkin's...