Oct. 22, 2011
Colorado State Postgame Notes
Colorado State at UTEP; Sun Bowl
Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011; 6:05 p.m.
Sacks: The Rams now have a sack in all seven games this season. With two more tonight and 22 on the season, they're on pace for at least 38 this year, which would tie for their third-most all-time, and their highest number since they had 38 in 1997.
Power outage: A short circuit left the stadium dark with a few minutes remaining on the halftime clock. The UTEP power department resolved the issue and halftime lasted approximately 40 minutes, 20 minutes longer than normal. Sun Bowl fans made a unique photo opportunity by waving their cell phones in the dark stands.
Pick 6: Momo Thomas' interception return for a 45-yard TD was the Rams' first such score since Nick Oppenneer - now CSU's defensive graduate assistant - returned an interception 97 yards for a score at New Mexico, Nov. 21, 2009.
Defensive scores: The Rams now have scored three times on defense this season. LB Shaq Barrett returned a fumble 15 yards at Utah State (Sept. 24) and LB Max Morgan recorded a safety vs. Northern Colorado (Sept. 10).
Penalties: The Rams had had just two penalties over a seven-quarter stretch, from Oct. 1 through tonight.
Freshmen tandems: The Rams started a pair of freshmen at both offensive tackle and safety.
College debuts: Redshirt freshman FB Kivon Cartwright played in his first college game, reinstated this week after missing the season's first six contests. Cartwright is the 19th CSU player to make his college debut this season. The 19: WR Thomas Coffman, WR Charles Lovett, S Austin Gray, WR Lee Clubb, DB Bernard Blake, S Drew Reilly, LB Max Morgan, OL Mason Myers, DT John Froland, OL Mason Hathaway, TE Blake Jones and OL Ty Sambrailo, RB Mark Woodbury, LB?Aaron Davis, LB Eric Niederberger, FB?Joe McKay, LB Jordan Murphy, LB Ken Hulbert and FB Kivon Cartwright.
- Five players, Lovett, Clubb, Reilly, Davis and Jones, are true freshmen.
Arizona connection: The Rams and Arizona Wildcats are the only teams in the nation to have started freshmen at both offensive tackle positions in the same game this season.
In 1983: Twenty-eight years to the day, at the same stadium, CSU RB Steve Bartalo rushed for 205 yards on 38 carries and two touchdowns in a 31-15 win.
CSU debuts: In addition to the above 18 players, 20 total players have seen their first action in a CSU uniform this year, including two transfers, DL Colton Paulhus and LB Shaquil Barrett. First starts: S Drew Reilly (a true freshman) and OT Mason Hathaway (a redshirt freshman), made their first career starts.
- The following 18 players have made their first collegiate starts this season: G Jordan Gragert, FB Joe Brown, WR Marquise Law, TE Crockett Gillmore, DT John Froland, LB Mike Orakpo, S Austin Gray, DE?Nordly Capi, TE Blake Jones, FB Austin Gillmore, LB Shaquil Barrett, NT Te'Jay Brown, T Ty Sambrailo, WR Lee Clubb, DT Curtis Wilson, FB Jake Levin, Hathaway and Reilly.
80-degree kickoffs: The Rams had another kickoff of at least 80 degrees. It was 81 tonight.
- CB Momo Thomas returned a second-quarter INT for a 45-yard TD. It was unofficially the second touchdown of his career. As a true freshman in a tough, 45-42 loss vs. No. 17 BYU (Nov. 1, 2008), he picked off Max Hall's fourth-quarter pass with CSU trailing 38-35 late in the fourth quarter, and actually returned the INT, the first of his career, 44 yards for a go-ahead TD with less than 2 minutes left, but a personal foul after the INT nullified the score. Earlier this year, Thomas became the first CSU player since Erik Olson (1996-99) with a pick in four consecutive seasons.
- DL Nordly Capi forced his sixth fumble of the season, punching out the ball from the arms of Joe Banyard in the second quarter. Capi forced an NCAA single-game record four fumbles in the opener at New Mexico (Sept. 3). He entered the weekend leading the nation with 0.83 forced fumbles per game.
- S Ivory Herd, suspended indefinitely and left home for a violation of team rules, missed the first game of his college career. Herd had played in all 43 CSU contests since the beginning of his redshirt freshman year, 2008. He had started 18 straight, and 23 of the past 24, dating to Oct. 17, 2009.
- S Drew Reilly, a 21-year-old true freshman, made the first start of his career, in Herd's absence.
- FB Kivon Cartwright, a redshirt freshman, made his college debut, entering for the first time as a blocker on the Rams' first-quarter FG attempt.
- CB Shaq Bell made the start in place of Elijah-Blu Smith, Bell's first start since Nov. 20, 2010, at Wyoming. He started the final eight games, and nine overall, during his true freshman year.
- TE Crockett Gillmore now has a catch in all seven games this season. His seven game streak, all since converting from defensive end, is the Rams' longest since FB Zac Pauga caught a pass over the final 17 games of his career, from 2009-10.
- PK Ben DeLine, after his blocked first-quarter FG attempt, has now had 10 combined kicks blocked in his career (three field goals and seven PATs). He also had a PAT blocked last week vs. No. 5 Boise State.
- DT John Froland returned to action, entering as a substitute in the first quarter, after missing the Boise State game with an ankle injury, sustained vs. San Jose State (Oct. 1).
- KR Derek Good answered the second UTEP TD with a 50-yard kickoff return, setting up a second-quarter field goal. He now has three returns of 50-plus yards in his career, including 2010 returns of 74 and 70 yards.
- FB Jake Levin closed the first quarter with a 32-yard reception, longest of his career, to help set up the second-quarter field goal.
- P Pete Kontodiakos, who entered leading the Mountain West in gross average, had a pair of 64-yard punts in the first quarter.
Football game at Boston College will kick off...
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today that Colorado State's Sept. 27 football game at...
Football recap: Offense shines in Rams' home-op...
Colorado State passed for a school-record 452 yards Saturday afternoon at Hughes Stadium as the...
CSU Rams Gameday: Football vs. UC Davis, Sept. 13
Colorado State opens its home schedule with a contest against FCS foe UC Davis on Saturday, Sept....
Football Game Notes: Colorado State vs. UC Davis
The Colorado State football program hosts UC Davis in its home-opener on Saturday, Sept. 13....
Colorado State Falls Short to Boise State, 37-24
Jay Ajayi scored three touchdowns and amassed 280 yards of total offense Saturday night to lead...
CSU Rams Gameday: Football at Boise State, Sept. 6
The Rams travel to Boise, Idaho, to take on the Boise State Broncos on Saturday, Sept. 6. Fans...
Football Game Notes: Colorado State at Boise...
On Saturday, Sept. 6, the Rams will travel to Boise, Idaho to take on Boise State, a team CSU has...
CSU's Hart, Roberts earn weekly Mountain...
On Monday morning the Mountain West named running back Dee Hart the Mountain West Offensive...