Sept. 29, 2012
AIR FORCE 42, COLORADO STATE 21
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012 – Falcon Stadium, Colorado Springs, Colo.
• Senior QB M.J. McPeek saw his first career snaps from scrimmage today in relief of injured starter Garrett Grayson. He threw two second-quarter touchdown passes, the first a 55-yarder to senior WR Lou Greenwood and the second a 13-yard strike to tight end Austin Gillmore.
--The 55-yarder to Greenwood, and a later 58-yard connection from McPeek to Greenwood, were the second- and third-longest plays from scrimmage for Colorado State this year. They also are the second- and third-longest receptions of Greenwood’s career; longest since Oct. 16, 2010 vs. UNLV (73). The touchdown was Greenwood’s first since Oct. 1 2011, vs. San Jose State.
--McPeek finished the game completing 22 of 34 pass attempts for 292 yards and 2 TDs, with two interceptions. Grayson was 2-2 for 20 yards before exiting the game.
--Today’s game marked the first time McPeek, a senior, had thrown a touchdown pass since his senior year of high school at Rangeview (Aurora, Colo.), in 2007.
• Charles Lovett, Kivon Cartwright and Dominique Vinson each have caught a pass in all five games this season. Lovett had 5 catches for 44 yards, while Cartwright had three for 40 and Vinson had 2 for 21.
• Lovett’s five receptions today (44 yds.) give him 17 receptions in his last three games combined. That is the most in a three-game span by a CSU player since Rashaun Greer caught 18 over three games in 2009, from Nov. 7-27.
• P Pete Kontodiakos unleashed punts of 73, 56 and 52 today, marking his sixth consecutive game with at least one punt of 50 yards or longer. Kontodiakos entered the game ranked seventh in the nation in punting average (45.9) and raised that average to 46.9 after today’s performance. At that figure he is on pace to break the school record of 46.1 by Mike Deutsch in 1976.
• S Kevin Pierre-Louis recorded the first forced fumble of his career in the first half, while LBs Aaron Davis and Cory James each snared their first career fumble recoveries. The Rams have recovered a fumble in every game this season and eight in a row dating back to last year.
• Stats Roundup:
--CSU registered its highest yards-per-play average today, 6.3. The Rams entered the game with a season average of 5.0.
--With just one sack allowed, Colorado State allowed its fewest of the season.
--The Rams’ 22 first downs today represent a season high (21, at San Jose State, 9/15/12).
--CSU’s 129 rushing yards are its most in a game this season (125, at Colorado, 9/1/12).
--The Rams’ 312 passing yards today are a season high, and most by CSU since 10/1/2011, vs. San Jose State (387).
--The 41-yard kick return by Lee Clubb in the first quarter was the longest by a Ram this season and set up CSU’s first touchdown of the day.
--CSU converted 50% of its third-down attempts today (7-14). Last week’s 42.1% figure (8-19 vs. Utah State) was its previous best.
--Today’s game was the Rams’ first with more time of possession than their opponent (31:46) since the season-opener, at Colorado, 9/1/12.
--Nine different Rams players caught passes today from Garrett Grayson and M.J. McPeek.
• CSU’s game captains today: H-Back Jake Levin, CB Shaq Bell, LB Max Morgan & LS Tanner Hedstrom.
• Air Force won the toss and elected to receive.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
CSU football to hold several summer camps
Head coach Mike Bobo and his coaching staff are hosting several football camps this summer for...
Nebraska transfer joins CSU football program
A Colorado prep star is returning to the Centennial State. Center Paul Thurston, a 2012 graduate ...
Colorado State's two-year run puts school in...
After a tremendous 2014-15 year in athletics, the Colorado State Rams continued their momentum...
Bennett named to Rimington Trophy Watch List
Colorado State center Jake Bennett was named to the Rimington Trophy 2016 Spring Watch List on...
Ladies Huddle returns May 31
The Colorado State football coaching staff will once again host its Ladies Huddle, an annual...
Bobo headlines 9th annual Colorado Coaches for ...
Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo will once again join the football coaches from...
New stadium construction video
Rams All Access takes you on a visual tour of the construction site in the second of a video...
Multiple Rams hear names called during NFL Draft
Multiple Colorado State football players were drafted on Saturday, marking the third year in a...