Sept. 14, 2013
- Saturday’s victory over Cal Poly boosts the Rams’ home winning streak to four games dating back to last season, the school’s longest home winning streak since 2005. The Rams won six straight at Hughes Stadium beginning on Oct. 27, 2001 vs. Utah and ending on Nov. 30, 2002 vs. UNLV.
- TE Crockett Gillmore, who has been a focal point for opposing defenses, caught his first two passes of the season on the Rams’ first drive, and finished with a career-high seven receptions for 83 yards. The 83 yards fall two short of tying a career high.
- Gillmore’s first reception went for six yards and the senior tight end followed that up with a 39-yard catch to put the Rams on the Cal Poly’s 6-yard line. Colorado State went on to score a touchdown.
- Gillmore and fellow tight end Kivon Cartwright combined for 10 receptions for 136 yards and one touchdown (Cartwright, 6 yards) on Saturday.
- Senior LB Shaquil Barrett recorded two tackles for loss on Saturday—including one sack—to give him 7.0 tackles for loss on the year. The senior linebacker is now averaging 2.3 tackles for loss per game and is already approaching his single-season career-best of 7.5, set in 2012.
- The Mustangs attempted a 47-yard field goal but Barrett came up the middle and blocked the kick. The last time CSU blocked a field goal was at UNLV on Oct. 29, 2011.
- In the fourth quarter, with the Rams leading by 10 points, Cal Poly lined up for a 32-yard field goal. Barrett came up the middle and blocked his second kick of the game. No Ram has had two blocked kicks in a season since Eric Sandie blocked three in 2005.
- Junior QB Garrett Grayson completed 21-of-30, including two touchdowns, and tied his career high with 297 passing yards, with no interceptions and no sacks. Grayson was sensational in the first half, completing 14-of-17 for 227 yards and one touchdown. His previous 297-yard passing effort came on Sept. 15, 2012 at San Jose State. Grayson had six completions of 23 yards or longer in the game (23, 24, 26, 36, 39 and 46 yards).
- For the first time in his 13 appearances for the Rams, Grayson was not sacked.
- This was the fifth game of Grayson’s career in which he threw multiple touchdown passes, tying his career high again with two.
- Junior kicker Jared Roberts connected on a 33-yard field in the first quarter to extend CSU’s lead to 10-3. Late in the first quarter Roberts added a 39-yarder. Roberts has now made 12 consecutive field goals dating back to last season, and is 15-for-15 in his career on kicks inside 50 yards. His last miss came in the 2012 home opener against North Dakota State (9/8/12).
- WR Thomas Coffman had a big first half recording three catches for 78 yards. Coffman had receptions of 46 and 26 yards. Coffman was held without a catch in the second half.
- Freshman DB Jake Schlager registered his first action defensively when he entered the game on the final play of the first quarter. Schlager has been an impact player on special teams recording six tackles through the season’s first three games.
- Midway through the second quarter, the Rams ran a screen pass for OL Ty Sambrailo. Since it was a backwards pass, Sambrailo was credited with an 11-yard rush, the first of his career. The 6-foot-5, 310-pound offensive lineman was dragged down at the 1-yard line. RB Kapri Bibbs scored on the next play.
- The last time a Colorado State offensive lineman recorded a forward rush was on Sept. 12, 2009 at home against Weber State. Starting center Tim Walter recovered a fumble in the end zone and was credited with a 1-yard touchdown.
- Freshman wide receiver Rashard Higgins hauled in a 36-yard pass, his first career touchdown and longest reception of his career. He finished with two catches for 40 yards.
- Colorado State compiled 353 yards from scrimmage offensively in the first half, its highest total in a half since putting up 397 yards (on 34 plays) in the first half vs. New Mexico at Hughes Stadium on Oct. 30, 2010. The 40 offensive plays by CSU in the first half today were the most the Rams have run in a half since running 43 in the second half and 41 in the first half vs. Northern Colorado on Sept. 10, 2011.
- In the end the Rams racked up 533 total offensive yards. On the season, CSU averages 290.5 yards.
- The 533 total offensive yards is CSU’s highest total since Oct. 30, 2010 when the Rams piled up 584 against New Mexico in a 38-14 victory.
- Freshman walk-on WR Robert Ruiz saw action on one play in the first half, lining up in the slot in the third quarter and pulling in a screen pass. Ruiz took his first career catch 11 yards for a first down.
- Coming into the game, CSU’s defense was only allowing opponents to convert 33 percent of the time on third down. Saturday afternoon, the Mustangs only converted 3-of-12 (25%) to drop the figure to 31% (15-48).
- Against Cal Poly, the Rams tallied up six plays of 20-plus yards, all on passes. Entering Saturday’s contest, the team had six combined in the first two games.
- After missing Sept. 7th game at Tulsa, WR/PR Joe Hansley returned to hold on kicks for Jared Roberts.
- WR Austin Gray made his first start at wide receiver for the Rams. He spent his first two collegiate seasons on the CSU defense, registering 17 starts at safety.
- Today’s captains were WR Austin Gray, OL Brandon Haynes, DL Eli Edwards, LB Max Morgan.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Former CSU quarterback and athletics director...
Colorado State University and its athletics multimedia rights holder, Learfield's Rams Sports...
Training Camp Live with CSU Football coming to...
Rams fans, get ready. Training Camp Live with Colorado State Football is coming Wednesday, Aug....
CSU Fall Camp Notebook: Day 11
The Colorado State Rams were back on the practice field Monday for their 13th session of fall...
CSU Fall Camp Notebook: Day 10
The Colorado State Rams completed their 12th practice of fall camp on Sunday afternoon, their...
CSU Fall Camp Notebook: Day 9
The Colorado State Rams wrapped up their 10th practice of fall camp on Saturday morning, marking ...
Colorado State Athletics announces “Homet...
As a company that places significant value in sense of community, Cornerstone Home Lending, Inc.,...
CSU Fall Camp Notebook: Day 8
Colorado State held its first scrimmage of fall camp on Thursday afternoon. After holding eight...
Colorado State and Vanderbilt announce four-gam...
Colorado State and Southeastern Conference member Vanderbilt jointly announced today a four-game ...