Sep 1, 2013
- Attendance for the 85th renewal of the Rocky Mountain Showdown was 59,601.
- Today’s captains were LB Shaquil Barrett, TE Kivon Cartwright, DB Trent Matthews and OL Weston Richburg.
- Garrett Grayson made his ninth career start for Colorado State after a quarterback battle that wasn’t settled until Sunday. He finished 22-of-39 for 201 yards with no touchdowns and no interception.
- Several Rams saw their first career action on Sunday: DL Austin Berk, RB Kapri Bibbs, LB Deonte Clyburn, WR Rashard Higgins, P Hayden Hunt, DL Terry Jackson, DL LaRyan King, LB Danny Nwosu, RB Davon Riddick, WR Robert Ruiz, S Jake Schlager and WR Jordon Vaden. Four are true freshmen (Berk, Clyburn, Higgins and Schlager).
- Late in the second quarter Kapri Bibbs ran the ball in from seven yards out for his first career touchdown. Bibbs added on with a second touchdown to give the Rams their only lead of the game, 24-23, with 2:51 to play in the third quarter.
- Freshman wide receiver Rashard Higgins hauled in his first reception midway through the third quarter and finished with 6 catches for 57 yards, including a long of 22.
- Freshman punter Hayden Hunt booted his third career punt 59 yards and on the final play of the third quarter Hunt boomed a 69-yard punt from the back of his own end zone. In his first collegiate game Hunt averaged 49.7 yards per punt on 7 attempts.
- Connor Wood’s first-quarter 82-yard TD pass to Paul Richardson was the longest pass play against the Rams since Aug. 30, 2003 when Colorado’s Joel Klatt connected with Derek McCoy for an 82-yard score.
- Sophomore linebacker Kevin Davis returned to action for Colorado State after tearing his ACL on Oct. 27, 2012 on the opening kickoff against Hawai’i.
- Late in the first quarter junior quarterback Garrett Grayson connected on a 40-yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Joe Hansley. The 40-yard catch was the longest reception of Hansley’s career.
- Hansley hauled in a team-high eight receptions for 91 yards. The eight receptions represent a career high for Hansley. His previous best came in the season finale in 2012 against New Mexico.
- After the Rams defense forced a three-and-out on Colorado’s second-half opening drive, Hansley returned the punt 74 yards for a score. The last time Colorado State returned a punt for a touchdown was Sept. 30, 2006 at Fresno State by Damon Morton (58 yards). Hansley’s 74-yard return is the second-longest of his career, with his longest coming at home against Hawai’i on Oct. 27, 2012 (76 yards).
- Junior kicker Jared Roberts continues his success against Colorado, hitting a 39-yard field goal early in the second quarter and followed it up with a 30-yarder with 3:47 left in the fourth quarter. Against the Buffaloes in his career, Roberts is 5-for-5 with all field goals coming from 30 yards and out.
- Jared Roberts has now connected on eight consecutive kicks. His last miss came in the 2012 home-opener against North Dakota State.
- Safety Kevin Pierre-Louis racked up a career-high 15 tackles. His previous high was six tackles at Boise State on Nov. 17, 2012.
- Bernard Blake’s 11 tackles set a career high. Previous high was seven vs. UNLV on Nov. 10, 2012.
- Cory James’ nine tackles set a career high. Previous high was eight at San Jose State on Sept. 15, 2012.
- Thomas Coffman 84-yard kickoff return, which set up the Rams at CU’s 16-yard line, the longest since Aug. 31, 2008 by John Mosure vs. Colorado (90 yards). The Rams ended up scoring a touchdown and taking their first lead of the game.
- Austin Gray saw his first collegiate action at wide receiver. Gray has spent his first two seasons playing safety for Colorado State, where he registered 88 tackles.
- Shaquil Barrett tallied a career-high 3.5 tackles for loss on Sunday. His previous high was 1.5 tackles for loss vs. North Dakota State on Sept. 8, 2012.
- The Tackle Hunger Food Drive—a collaboration between the two universities—raised more than $3,000 Sunday. The proceeds will go to the Food Bank for Larimer County, Community Food Share of Boulder and Broomfield and Food Bank of the Rockies in Denver.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
#NextLevelRams: End of regular season NFL update
Colorado State is represented by eight former Rams on current NFL rosters, and one player,...
Recap: Johnson sets receiving record in Potato ...
BOISE, Idaho-- The Colorado State Rams fell 61-50 to the Idaho Vandals in the Famous Idaho Potato...
Potato Bowl Blog: Day 4
BOISE, Idaho-- The Colorado State Rams had a busy Wednesday, their final day of prep before...
Potato Bowl Blog: Day 3
BOISE, Idaho-- The Colorado State Rams were back at it early on their third day in Boise,...
Potato Bowl Blog: Day 2
BOISE, Idaho-- Following the Rams’ near-comeback against the Boise State Broncos on Oct. 15...
Potato Bowl Blog: Rams arrive in Boise
BOISE, Idaho-- The Colorado State Rams’ bowl trip began Sunday morning, as they landed in...
Bowl Rewind: 2013 New Mexico Bowl
Facing Washington State in the 2013 New Mexico Bowl, the Rams rallied to score 18 points in the...
Bowl Rewind: 2008 New Mexico Bowl
Gartrell Johnson set an NCAA record with 375 all-purpose yards as Colorado State rallied for a 40...