Colorado State vs. Colorado; Sept. 4, 2010 - CSU 3, CU 24
Scott Brown at a glance...
- One of the first members of CSU's new coaching staff, officially joined Colorado State Dec. 18, 2007.
- Kicks off his 35th season as a college coach, most of which have been devoted to tutoring defensive linemen.
- Coached10 players at Duke who were either drafted or signed to free-agent contracts by NFL teams, as well as a 2006 freshman All-American. All told, at least 15 of his former players have gone on to the NFL.
- Is a Colorado native who earned prep All-America accolades at Del Norte High School in the southwestern part of the state, then played at Adams State.
His son and daughter-in-law, as well as several other family members, are graduates of Colorado State.
|1976-79||Adams State||Linebackers/Defensive Line|
|1980-82||Southwest Texas State||Defensive Line|
|2008-10||Colorado State||Defensive Line|
|1981||Palm Bowl (D-II champ.)||North Dakota State|
|(assistant coach with Southwest Texas State)|
|1982||Palm Bowl (D-II champ.)||UC Davis|
|(assistant coach with Southwest Texas State)|
|1984||Bluebonnet Bowl||West Virginia|
|(assistant coach with TCU)|
|2008||New Mexico Bowl||Fresno State|
|(assistant coach with Colorado State)|
Prominent Players Coached
- Chris Combs, a two-time first-team all-ACC choice and the Pittsburgh Steelers' sixth-round selection in the 2000 NFL Draft.
- Vince Oghobaase, a 2006 freshman All-American at Duke and 2010 NFL free agent (Miami).
- NFL free-agent signees Tommie Hill (CSU), Casey Camero (Duke), Eli Nichols (Duke), Phillip Alexander (Duke), Orrin Thompson (Duke), Matt Zielinski (Duke), Gannon Shepherd (Duke) and Nate Krill (Duke).
- Shawn Johnson, 2002 first-team all-ACC and an Oakland Raiders free-agent signee.
- Craig Sauer, the Atlanta Falcons' sixth-round selection in the 1996 NFL Draft.
- Ed Hawthorne, signed as a free agent by the Miami Dolphins.
- The late Fred Washington, the Chicago Bears' second-round choice in the 1990 NFL Draft.
- Kent Tramel, signed out of TCU as a free agent by the Washington Redskins.
- Texas (Houston, Austin, San Antonio, College Station)
Scott Brown begins his fourth year at Colorado State and his 36th overall season as a college coach. He was hired by Steve Fairchild on Dec. 18, 2007.
Brown, 58, is a Colorado native and graduate of Adams State in Alamosa, Colo. He joined the Rams from Duke, where he had spent the previous 12 years (1996-2007) in a similar capacity. He coached his last two Duke seasons with current CSU defensive coordinator Larry Kerr.
Brown spent his first three seasons on staff in charge of the defensive line, then shifted before the 2011 season to coach linebackers. In addition, Brown recruits East and South Texas, and Kansas, and heads up the Rams' June summer camps for high school players. At Duke, Brown's primary recruiting area was most recently the state of Texas, although he also recruited Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio during his time with the Blue Devils.
Highly respected by his former players, Brown has coached at least 15 players who went on to the NFL, most recently Colorado State DE Tommie Hill (N.Y. Giants). Nine of those individuals played at Duke, including Chris Combs, the Steelers' sixth-round draft choice in 2000. Combs earned first-team all-Atlantic Coast Conference honors in consecutive seasons. Duke defensive linemen who signed in the NFL as free agents include Casey Camero, Eli Nichols, Phillip Alexander, Orrin Thompson, Matt Zielinski, Gannon Shepherd, Shawn Johnson and Nate Krill.
Prior to his tenure at Duke, Brown worked four seasons at Minnesota, where he coached defensive line (1992-94) and linebackers (1995). With the Golden Gophers, he coached Craig Sauer, the Atlanta Falcons' sixth-round selection in the 1996 NFL Draft, as well as Miami Dolphins free agent Ed Hawthorne.
He also served nine years at TCU (1983-91) and three at Southwest Texas State (1980-82), coaching defensive line all 12 seasons. At TCU, he was instrumental in the development of the late Fred Washington, the Chicago Bears' second-round choice in the 1990 NFL Draft, and Kent Tramel, a Horned Frogs free agent signed by the Washington Redskins in the late 1980s.
At Southwest Texas State, he helped the Bobcats to consecutive Division II national championships, victories over North Dakota State in 1981 and UC Davis in 1982.
Brown launched his coaching career with a four-year stint in various coaching roles at his alma mater, Adams State (1976-79), in Southern Colorado.
A prep All-American at Del Norte (Colo.) High School, Brown went on to play linebacker and defensive end at Adams State.
Born Feb. 20, 1952, in Del Norte, Colo., Brown and his wife, Pam, have a son, Ryan, and a daughter, Meghan. His daughter graduated from Duke, where she competed on the Blue Devils' volleyball team.
Both his son and daughter-in-law are graduates of Colorado State. Several of his in-laws also are Colorado State alumni. His brother-in-law, Frank Rogers, played football at Colorado in the early 1960s.
Brown earned both his bachelor's and master's degrees from the Adams State, each in physical education in 1974 and '77, respectively.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Two more kickoff times set for 2017 CSU...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The kickoff times for two more 2017 Colorado State home football...
Matthews, Pierre-Louis sign deals with CFL teams
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Former Colorado State defensive backs Trent Matthews and Kevin Pierre...
Photo Gallery: Scoreboard at the new on-campus...
Installation began this week on the scoreboard at the new on-campus stadium. The Rams' new home...
Kickoff time for Aug. 26 new stadium grand-open...
The magnitude of Colorado State’s Aug. 26 football season opener took on even greater...
Rams receive kickoff times and TV designations ...
Two more Colorado State football games in 2017 were assigned kickoff times, it was announced...
Photo Gallery: New on-campus stadium
Colorado State University's new on-campus stadium is scheduled for substantial completion on June...
Twelve Rams featured on Athlon Sports Preseason...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Twelve Colorado State football players were listed on Athlon Sports...
Bennett lands on Rimington Trophy spring watch ...
Colorado State center Jake Bennett was named to the Rimington Trophy 2017 Spring Watch List on...