Former Rams work out in front of all 32 NFL teams
16 players compete in front of 20 scouts
Second phase of offseason strength and conditioning program underway
Nov. 28, 2012
CSU vs. UNLV - Nov. 10, 2012
Head Football Strength & Conditioning Coach | 34th season in coaching | Third season at CSU
Mike Kent is in his third season as the head football strength and conditioning coach at Colorado State in 2014. Hired by Jim McElwain, he joined the Rams staff on Jan. 19, 2012.
In his role Kent oversees the entire football strength and conditioning program, including the design and implementation of CSU's all-encompassing "Ram U" offseason program.
Kent, who trained Darrelle Revis, Josh Freeman and Deion Branch during their college careers, is in his 34th season as a coach of football student-athletes, a career that includes 31 years as a highly-respected strength and conditioning instructor. He was recognized in 2013 as Master Strength and Conditioning Coach by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association, which signifies a commitment to student-athletes and the strength and conditioning profession.
"I am ecstatic to be able to add a coach the quality of Mike Kent," McElwain said from the recruiting trail upon hiring Kent early in 2012. "This is an important hire, because NCAA rules mean he'll spend more time with our players than any other coach. I have a lot of faith in Mike to help prepare our guys not only from a physical, lifting standpoint, but also the mental aspect. 'How do you approach your work day?' He's a huge part of investing in our most important asset, our players. He's going to help us make constant deposits into that bank. And we won't make any withdrawals until Saturdays in the fall."
Kent joined the Rams in 2012 from Appalachian State, where he'd served two stints (1990-99 and 2009-11) as head of the Mountaineers' strength and conditioning program for all student-athletes.
Including a school-record three Appalachian State players selected in a single draft (three in 2011) and eight total drafted players--counting five during his first stint at App State--Kent has physically and mentally conditioned nearly 40 future NFL athletes. Included on that list:
- DB Mark LeGree, OL Daniel Kilgore and LB D.J. Smith, all 2011 draft selections (worked with Kent at App State, 2009-10).
- QB Josh Freeman, Pro Bowler/first-round draft selection, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (K-State, 2007-08).
- WR Jordy Nelson, second-round selection, Super Bowl champion, Green Bay Packers (K-State, 2007).
- DB Joshua Moore, fifth-round selection, Chicago Bears (K-State, 2007-09).
- WR/KR Brandon Banks, two-year starter, Washington Redskins (K-State, 2007-09).
- CB Darrelle Revis, three-time first-team All-Pro, five-time Pro Bowler, first-round selection, N.Y. Jets (Pitt, 2004-06).
- OT Jeff Otah, first-round selection, Carolina Panthers (Pitt, 2004-06).
- LB Clint Session, fourth-round selection, Indianapolis Colts (Pitt, 2004-06).
- QB Dave Ragone, third-round selection, Houston Texans (Louisville, 2000-02).
- WR Deion Branch, Super Bowl MVP, second-round selection, New England Patriots (Louisville, 2000-01).
- DE Dewayne White, second-round selection, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Louisville, 2000-02).
- LB Dexter Coakley, three-time Pro Bowler, third-round selection, Dallas Cowboys (App State, 1993-96).
- QB Jeff Blake, Pro Bowler, eight-year starter, several teams (East Carolina, 1989-90).
- LB George Koonce, eight-year starter, Super Bowl champion, Green Bay Packers (East Carolina, 1988-90).
- WR Haywood Jeffires, three-time Pro Bowler, first-round selection, Houston Oilers (N.C. State, 1985-86).
The 1995 Southern Conference Strength Coach of the Year, Kent in between his tenures at Appalachian State, headed the football team's strength and conditioning program at four Division I universities. He spent three seasons (2007-09) at Kansas State, three years (2004-06) at Pitt, four campaigns (2000-03) at Louisville and one year (1999) at Eastern Kentucky.
Before overseeing the power and speed performances of all student-athletes at Appalachian State (1990-99), he served as assistant director of strength and conditioning at East Carolina from 1998-90.
The head strength coach at Shepherd College in Shepherdstown, W.V. from 1987-88, Kent also coached defensive line for that program. Before that, he laid much of his foundation in the field at North Carolina State, where from 1985-87 he served as graduate assistant, strength coach and assistant defensive line coach.
Kent invested four years into high-school athletes, as a strength coach, offensive line coach and social studies teach at Miramar (Fla.) High School from 1984-85, and as the head wrestling coach, assistant football and track coach, and weight-room assistant at East Fairmont (W.V.) High School from 1982-84.
He launched his coaching career as a student-assistant working with defensive ends, and assisting in the weight room, at Fairmont (W.V.) from 1981-82.
A former outside linebacker, Kent played from 1978-79 at Potomac State College in West Virginia, and in 1980 at Fairmont State. A 1982 graduate of Fairmont State, he owns a bachelor's in education and social studies. He also earned a master's in recreation resource administration from N.C. State in 1987.
Kent is married (Deena), and is a member of the National Hot Rod Association. He hails from Parkersburg, W.V.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
CSU's Cartwright granted extension of...
The NCAA announced on Monday afternoon that Colorado State tight end Kivon Cartwright has been...
Football adds Geoff Martzen as director of...
Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo announced Friday the hire of Geoff Martzen as the...
Bobo announces first signing class
First-year head coach Mike Bobo announced the addition of 13 new signees, his first signing class...
2015 National Signing Day
Wednesday is National Signing Day and Rams fans have numerous ways to follow along.
Football public signing day event set for Feb. ...
The Colorado State football program invites fans to join the excitement of next Wednesday's...
CSU's Davis accepts invitation to NFL...
Colorado State linebacker Aaron Davis has accepted an invitation to the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine...
CSU's Hart, Roberts accept invitations to NFL...
Colorado State running back Dee Hart and kicker Jared Roberts have accepted invitations to the...
Higgins travels to New Haven for Walter Camp...
On Jan. 15, soon-to-be junior wide receiver Rashard Higgins arrived in New Haven, Conn., for a...