Senior ranks 5th in CSU history with 22 sacks
Gaines, Higgins, Zerblis headline first team
Higgins earns first team All-MW, All-America honors
Stevens, Key combine for 775 passing yards
CSU runs 109-play scrimmage in front of 1,000 season ticket holders, Ram Club members
Photos from Colorado State's third spring football practice from Don Reichert
CSU Football vs. Hawai'i - photos by Don Reichert
Colorado State earned a road victory at Nevada, 31-24, on Oct. 11, 2014. (Photos by Don Reichert)
CSU football vs. Tulsa - Oct. 4, 2014 (Tom Waido)
CSU football vs. UC Davis - Sept. 13, 2014 (Dan Byers)
Career Division I games played/started: 39/34(13/12 in 2014...14/13 in 2013...12/9 in 2012).
2014 (Junior): Has played in all 13 games, starting 12, recording 51 tackles (29 solo), including a team-high 8.5 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks... also has three quarterback hurries and one forced fumble... has 22 career sacks, the fifth-most by a CSU defender.
- Registered his first sack of the season, a loss of seven yards, in CSU's first road game at Boise State (Sept. 6)
- Recorded two tackles for loss, including a seven-yard sack in the Rams' win at Boston College (Sept. 27)...the sack came in the final minute to help thwart the Eagles' last gasp after CSU had gone ahead with just under a minute to play.
- Chosen as a team captain vs. Wyoming (Oct. 24)
- Notched his first forced fumble of the season at San Jose State (Nov. 1), which led to the Rams first score of the game... also registered a sack
- In the Rams' regular-season finale at Air Force (Nov. 28), racked up a career-high 10 tackles (8 solo), including one sack
- Posted a career-high nine tackles in the season opener vs. Colorado (9/1)
- During a road victory at Hawai'i (10/26) registered six solo stops, a career-best, and two sacks
- Had at least two sacks in three separate games (vs. SJSU, at UH and WSU)
- Recorded at least five stops in six of the Rams' 13 games
- Thirdon the team with two forced fumbles
- Chosen to serve as team captain vs. San Jose State (10/12) and at Utah State (11/23)
- In the Rams' win over Washington State in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl (Dec. 21), registered five total tackles and two sacks
2012 (Freshman): Set a CSU freshman record with 7.5 sacks and earned Freshman All-America honors from the Football Writers Association of America and College Football News (second team), as well as second-team national All-Freshman and second-team All-Mountain West by Phil Steele's College Football Preview...earned first-team midseason honors from Phil Steele...finished his first season with 54 tackles (26 solo), including 10.5 for lost yardage, tied for sixth in the Mountain West.
- Against Colorado (Sept. 1) recorded his first collegiate start while compiling seven tackles, six solo, and a forced fumble...finished the game with three sacks and four tackles for loss, becoming the first Ram to record three or more sacks in his first career game...his effort earned him Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week honors
- Strung together two more games with seven-plus tackles, against North Dakota State (Sept. 8) and San Jose State (Sept. 15)...against the Spartans he posted his fourth sack of the season, forcing SJSU into a punt...on the ensuing possession CSU scored to pull within a TD
- Versus Utah State (Sept. 22) registered three tackles and his fifth sack of the year to tie the CSU freshman sack record
- Recorded three tackles against Air Force (Sept. 29) and two tackles against Fresno State (Oct. 6)
- Against San Diego State (Oct. 13) had four total tackles, including 1.5 sacks to lay claim outright to the CSU freshman sack record with 6.5...it was previously held by DeVaughn Hawkins (5.0; 1994)
- Added his final sack of the season, among six total tackles, vs. Hawaii (Oct. 27), to extend his CSU freshman record to 7.5
- Posted five tackles at Wyoming (Nov. 3)
2011: Redshirted as a true freshman in his first season of college eligibility.
High School: Lettered two years in football for the Rams of Del Rio, Texas, a city of 37,000 on the U.S.-Mexico border about three hours due west of San Antonio...Started 21 consecutive games at linebacker until sustaining a torn left anterior cruciate ligament, ending his prep career in the eighth game of his senior season...Before the injury, combined as a junior and senior for 116 tackles (67 solo), 26 stops behind the line of scrimmage, 11 sacks, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery... Despite the injury, still voted by fellow coaches the District 29-5A Co-Linebacker of the Year after his senior campaign, when he also garnered first-team all-district honors for the second straight year...Also received the Hit Stick Award... Helped DRHS to bi-district and area championships on a team that finished 8-3 in 2010 and 10-3 in 2009, when the Rams advanced to the third round of the Texas Class 5A state playoffs...Started all 13 games as a junior in 2009...Top prep speed in the 40-yard dash was 4.8 seconds...Owned a 3.1 GPA...Head football coach was Steve Hoffman...Also played baseball for the Rams...Drew recruiting interest from TCU, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas State, Louisiana Tech and East Carolina.
Personal: Given name Cory Miguel James...Born May 22, 1993, in Del Rio, Texas...Son of Clarence and Sheila James...Has one older brother...Dad, Clarence, played football at Chowan Junior College...has volunteered with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Larimer County in his time at CSU...Majoring in liberal arts at Colorado State...Hometown: Del Rio, Texas.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Matthews recognized for community involvement
Senior Trent Matthews was recognized for his community involvement, being named to the Wuerfell...
Higgins named to Biletnikoff Award watch list
2014 Biletnikoff Award finalist Rashard Higgins, who led the NCAA FBS in yards, touchdowns and...
James selected to Butkus Award Watch List
Senior Cory James was named to the Butkus Award Watch List on Tuesday, an award which annually...
Matthews named to Jim Thorpe Award watch list
Colorado State senior Trent Matthews was recognized as one of the top defensive backs in the...
Hunt selected to Ray Guy Award Watch List
The Augusta Sports Council named Colorado State punter Hayden Hunt to its 2015 Ray Guy Award...
CSU's Cartwright, Walker named to John...
CSU was one of two schools nationally to have multiple players named to the 2015 John Mackey...
CSU's Higgins named to Maxwell Award watch list
CSU wide receiver Rashard Higgins was named to the Maxwell Award watch list on Tuesday morning,...
3 Rams named to Sporting News' Preseason All-Mo...
CSU's Rashard Higgins, Joe Kawulok and Steven Walker were named to the Sporting News' Preseason...