Cartwright one of 167 semifinalists
Rams predicted third in Mountain Division
Cartwright one of 38 preseason watch list candidates
List includes 16 sports, 7 colleges
3 individuals hold 4.0 cumulative grade-point average
Colorado State vs. Colorado
Recognizing Colorado State's 78 graduating student-athletes from the 2013-14 academic year. Photos by Tom Waido.
Colorado State football
CSU Football vs. San José State; Oct. 12, 2013
Career Division I games played/started: 33/23 (1/1 in 2014... 14/11 in 2013...12/11 in 2012...6/0 in 2011).
2014 (Senior): Started the season-opening win over Colorado (Aug. 29) in his only game of the season, registering one catch for 26 yards... missed the next three games at Boise State (Sept. 6),vs. UC Davis (Sept. 13) and at Boston College (Sept. 27) because of an injury that originally occurred during spring practice and required surgery at that time... it was determined the week of the Tulsa game (Oct. 4) that Cartwright would need another procedure on the injury and would miss the remainder of the season.
- Named to the preseason 2014 John Mackey Award watch list which is awarded to the best tight end in college football
2013 (Junior): Earned honorable mention All-Mountain West recognition...played in all 14 games and started 11, catching 27 passes for 462 yards (17.1) and tied for the team high with six touchdown receptions (most by MW tight end, third FBS)...third among Mountain West tight ends in receiving yards...named to Mackey Award Midseason watch list (Most Outstanding Tight End) and mid-season first-team All-Mountain West by Phil Steele.
- Earned John Mackey Tight End of the Week honors vs. UTEP (Sept. 28) after catching two passes for 56 yards and two touchdowns.
- College Football Performance Awards Tight End Performer of the Week honorable mention against San Jose State (Oct. 12) after hauling in three receptions for a career-high 91 yards and two touchdowns.
- Had at least three receptions in four games.
- Last CSU pass-catcher with at least six receiving touchdowns was Dion Morton (10) in 2008.
- First Rams player to record multiple receiving touchdowns in back-to-back- games since Paul Turner in 1995.
- Team-leading sixth TD reception of the season came in a 52-22 win at Wyoming (Oct. 19)
- Named team captain prior to contests vs. Coloado (Sept. 1) and at Hawai'i (Oct. 26)
- Hauled in 2 receptions for 51 yards in the Rams' 48-45 New Mexico Bowl victory over Washington State (Dec. 21)
2012 (Sophomore): For the second consecutive year the Rams had a sophomore tight end who was a menace to opposing teams' secondaries, following the breakout 2011 performance of Crockett Gillmore...started 11 of 12 games, had 26 catches for 310 yards and three TDs.
- In win over Colorado (Sept. 1) he hauled in three passes for 30 yards
- Tied a career high with four catches in the home-opener against North Dakota State (Sept. 8)...all four catches came in the fourth quarter as the Rams were in their no huddle offense
- Prior to the San Jose State (Sept. 15) contest, was named a weekly team captain, one of four to receive the honor for that week...against the Spartans, tied his career high with four receptions and recorded his first touchdown, a 28-yard strike that brought the Rams within one point early in the second quarter. Cartwright finished the game with 57 yards receiving
- Against Utah State (Sept. 22) registered a rushing attempt for eight yards...This was the first time he ran the ball from scrimmage since his sophomore year at Pueblo South and the most recent CSU tight end to record a rush since Kory Sperry on Oct. 4, 2008
- Registered his second career touchdown and 42 yards receiving against the Aztecs of San Diego State (Oct. 13)...Cartwright was wide-open in the end zone and hauled in a first quarter TD from M.J. McPeek to tie the game at seven
- Prior to the Border War against Wyoming (Nov. 3) was voted a team captain...he set a career-high with 67 yards receiving one TD
2011 (Freshman): A fast and athletic hybrid back, similar to former Ram Kory Sperry, played in six games...Caught three passes for 63 yards (21.0 avg.)...Made his college debut in loss at UTEP (Oct. 22), entering as an edge blocker on a first-quarter FG attempt...In loss at UNLV (Oct. 29), made the first catch of his career, a 45-yard grab down the middle to set up a go-ahead TD early in the second half...Earned academic all-conference honors following the season.
2010: Redshirted as a true freshman in his first season of eligibility.
High School: A three-sport athlete, played football and basketball, and also ran track at Pueblo (Colo.) South High School, a program that also produced CSU All-American and NFL Draft selection Anthony Cesario...Follows in the footsteps of another CSU TE from Pueblo, Kory Sperry, who now plays in the NFL; Pueblo also produced Earl (Dutch) Clark, a charter member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame...Limited by a knee injury and an offense that rarely used its tight end strategically, did not play most of his senior season...An all-city and first-team all-conference selection, combined with his brother to help PSHS to consecutive undefeated regular seasons (2007-08) and back-to-back Foothills Conference championships, before the Colts bowed out in the early rounds of the Class 4A playoffs each season...As a linebacker in 2008, topped 100 tackles and earned honorable-mention all-state recognition...Also lettered three years in basketball.
Personal: Given name Kivon DeAnte Cartwright...Nicknamed Kiki...First name is pronounced KEE-vonn...Born March 3, 1992, in Oahu, Hawaii...Son of Pam Cartwright...Has two older brothers and two younger sisters...Both brothers, John and DaQuan, played football at CSU-Pueblo...Helped orchestrate Math Night at Fort Collins' Bauder Elementary, working with youth to help them learn math, in February 2011...Prior to the 2011 season, helped with Fort Collins kids' summer programs at Before and After School Enrichment (BASE) Camp...Majoring in business administration at CSU...Hometown: Pueblo, Colo.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
CSU's Higgins honored by Colorado Sports Hall...
Colorado State wide receiver Rashard Higgins added another honor on Tuesday morning after his...
CSU's Higgins named Player to Watch by...
Colorado State wide receiver Rashard Higgins, who was named a consensus All-American as a...
Coach Bobo names Ryan Davis football strength...
Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo has hired Ryan Davis to serve as the head strength ...
Mike Bobo adds Terry Fair to complete coaching ...
Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo has announced the hiring of Terry Fair as the Rams' ...
Mike Bobo adds Rams' newest defensive line ...
Head football coach Mike Bobo announced the hiring of Colorado State's newest defensive line...
Mike Bobo adds Bryan Applewhite to staff
On Saturday morning Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo announced the addition of Bryan ...
Mike Bobo retains Alvis Whitted to inaugural staff
Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo announced on Friday afternoon that he has retained...
Mike Bobo announces the addition of three to...
Colorado State head football coach Mike Bobo announced Friday that he has hired Ronnie Letson to ...