Dec. 28, 2012
Colorado State vs. Adams State | Game 13
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||ADAMS STATE GRIZZLIES|
|CSU STATISTICAL LEADERS||ASU STATISTICAL LEADERS|
- Colorado State men's basketball returns to Moby Arena where the team opens up a three-game homestand with a Saturday afternoon tilt against RMAC power Adam State.
- The 10-2 Rams are riding a four-game winning streak and are coming off of four straight blowout victories, including an 88-52 throttling of Virginia Tech, to win the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic.
- The Grizzlies are off to a 7-0 start to the 2012-13 season, tied with Metro State in the league standings, and just one spot outside of the NABC Division II top-25 rankings.
- Tipoff between the Rams and the Grizzlies is set for Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MT at Moby Arena.
- The contest will mark the fourth in the series between the Rams and the Grizzlies. CSU leads 3-0.
- Voice of the Rams Brian Roth will have the call on the Colorado State Sports Network, 560 AM KLZ (Denver), 600 AM KCOL (Fort Collins), 1010 AM KSIR (Fort Morgan) and 1100 AM KNZZ (Grand Junction).
- Streaming audio (free) and video (subscription) are available via Rams All-Access and live statistics can be viewed online via Gametracker at CSURams.com.
Rams quick hits
- The 2012-13 season marks the 110th in the history of the Colorado State men's basketball program. The Rams are 1,139-1,172 (.493) in 2,311 games all-time.
- Colorado State enters the 2012-13 men's basketball season under the direction of new head coach Larry Eustachy, in his 22nd season as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
- The Colorado State basketball program is looking for its fourth-consecutive postseason appearance, and its second straight NCAA Tournament berth, in 2012-13.
- The Rams return an experienced roster with seven letterwinners back form the 2011-12 season.
- The Rams welcome a host of talented newcomers to the court this season, including Division I transfers Colton Iverson (Minnesota) and Daniel Bejarano (Arizona) who sat out 2011-12 per NCAA transfer rules.
- Other Rams' newcomers are: Junior F Gerson Santo, sophomore guards Jon Octeus and Josh Morgan, and freshman guards Jordan Mason and Joe De Ciman.
- In early August, the CSU basketball program spent five days together at the Atlantis Paradise Island Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. Per NCAA rules, the team was allotted 10 days of practice leading up to the trip, and then played an exhibition contest against the Bahamas All-Stars, winning 95-80 behind a double-double effort (18 points, 14 rebounds) from Colton Iverson.
- Colorado State enters Saturday's game with a 10-2 record. The Rams opened the season 6-0, tying the program mark for best start established in 1970-71 and matched by the 2005-06 squad, and teams current mark is the best 12-game record since going 11-1 to open the 1997-98 season.
- Colorado State ranks as one of the top rebounding teams in the nation, and entered play this week leading the NCAA in rebounding margin with an average differential of 14.6 boards per game. The team has yet to be outrebounded in a game this year, including the Rams' most recent outing vs. Virginia Tech on Dec. 23.
- Colorado State has opened the 2012-13 campaign with a 2-2 record on the road, picking up tough road wins at Denver and at Washington, before falling in their last two road outings at Colorado and UIC. The Rams were 3-9 on the road last year.
- Overall, the Rams are 4-2 away from Moby Arena, having captured a pair of neutral-court victories over Portland and Virginia Tech en route to the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic title, Dec. 22-23 at the Orleans Arena.
- Colorado State's two road losses have come to programs (Colorado and UIC) with a combined 18-5 (.783) record.
- The Rams have been even more impressive at home, racking up six wins and extending a record win streak at Moby Arena to 19 games. The streak ranks fourth nationally entering the Rams' tilt Saturday vs. Adams State.
- Senior G Dorian Green broke out of a mini shooting slump Sunday in the Rams' rout of Virginia Tech, hitting 5-of-6 from three-point range to finish with 18 points. Green became the first CSU player with 5+ three-pointers in a game since backcourt mate Wes Eikmeier last February at TCU.
- Senior F Pierce Hornung earned MVP honors of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Shootout and was named MW Player of the Week on Dec. 24. In the two games in Las Vegas, Hornung tallied a career-high 24 points and 11 rebounds (vs. Portland), followed by 18 points and 10 boards in the championship (vs. Virginia Tech).
- Hornung leads the Mountain West with a rebounding average of 10.1 boards per game, and moved his scoring average to 10.5 points per game, making him one of 20 players nationally to average a double-double, and one of only two players on that list - along with Coppin State's Michael Murray - to stand shorter than 6 feet, 6 inches tall.
- During Colorado State's current four-game winning streak, the Rams have won each game by at least 17 points, with an average differential of 79.75-54.5. The last time that Colorado State won four straight games by 15+ points was during the 1998-99 season when the Rams notched consecutive wins over Nebraska (75-49), Denver (94-78), South Alabama (99-43) and Nevada (66-49) between Dec. 12 and Jan. 2.
About Adams State
- Adam State has started the season 7-0 (5-0 RMAC) for the second consecutive year, most recently defeating Colorado Mesa, 84-79, on Dec. 17.
- The Grizzlies are 3-0 on the road this season, with victories over Fort Lewis (82-76), UCCS (67-65), and CSU-Pueblo (77-73, OT)
- The Rams are the only Division I team the Grizzlies will face during the regular season. ASU did suffer an 86-78 loss in an exhibition matchup against Northern Arizona.
- Adams State is tied for first in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference standings with Metro State, who CSU defeated 87-67 in an exhibition matchup on Oct. 28.
- The Grizzlies are receiving votes in the latest Top 25 Division II basketball poll. Adams State has never been ranked in the history of the program.
- Senior guard James Lake leads the team in scoring, averaging 16.7 points per game. Junior forward Norvell Arnold (14.0) and senior center Kaimyn Pruitt (12.6) are the only other ASU players averaging double digits. Pruitt also leads the team in rebounding, grabbing 14.0 per game.
- Head Coach Louis Wilson is in his third year at the school. He has compiled a record of 46-18 during that time.
Series vs. Adams State
- Saturday's matchup marks the fourth in the series between the Rams and the Grizzlies.
- Colorado State is 3-0 all-time in matchups against Adams State.
- The Rams are 1-0 at home against Adam State.
- Saturday's game marks the Grizzlies' second regular-season visit to Moby Arena, the first since CSU beat Adams State, 81-61, on Nov. 22, 1996.
- The Rams twice played Adams State during the 1940-41 season, winning both on the road by scores of 48-32 and 36-22.
Rams vs. the RMAC
- Colorado State is 91-27 (.771) all-time against the current members of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, where CSU competed from 1910-11 to 1936-37.
- The Rams are 1-0 this season against RMAC competition, having captured a 93-50 victory over Chadron State on Nov. 15.
- The majority of CSU's matchups with RMAC foes have come against the Colorado School of Mines (45-17) and Regis (22-7).
A win over Adams State will...
- Mark the Rams' fifth straight victory to close out December since back-to-back road losses to open the month at Colorado and UIC.
- Give the Rams a 4-0 lead in the series with Adams State.
- Push the Rams' home-court win streak to 20 games, extending the team's Moby Arena record and moving within two home wins of the program's all-time home win streak of 22.
- Improve CSU's overall record to 11-2, its best start through 13 games since the team opened the 1997-98 season with a 12-1 mark.
MW Player of the Week honors
- Senior C Colton Iverson has earned two Mountain West Player of the Week honors early in the season for CSU, while frontcourt mate Pierce Hornung added a weekly award to his resume in seventh week of the season.
- Iverson was named the Mountain West Player of the Week for the first time on Nov. 12 after leading the Rams with 18 points and eight rebounds in the Rams' season-opening victory over Montana (72-65). The game marked Iverson's first in nearly 20 months after transferring to Colorado State from Minnesota and sitting out the 2011-12 campaign per NCAA transfer rules.
- Iverson's second weekly honor came after Week 3 of the season, when he posted back-to-back double-doubles to lead the Rams to a pair of road victories at in-state rival Denver (16 points, 13 rebounds) and reigning Pac-12 regular-season champion Washington (13 points and 12 rebounds).
- Hornung earned his first of the season, and the first weekly honor of his career on Dec. 24 after leading the CSU men's basketball team to a 4-0 showing at the championship title of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic. Hornung was named tourney MVP and averaged 16.3 points and 9.0 rebounds per game while shooting 71.4 percent (25-of-35) from the field, including 50 percent (2-of-4) from 3-point range, and 76.5 percent (13-of-17) from the free throw line. Twenty of his 36 rebounds were on the offensive glass, and Hornung also recorded three blocks and one steal, and dished out 11 assists while committing just five turnovers over the four-game span
- He tallied back-to-back double-doubles in Las Vegas, notching a career-high 24 points to go along with 11 rebounds in the tourney semifinals, followed by 18 and 10 in the championship blowout of Virginia Tech.
Streaking at home
- Colorado State's current 19-game home-court win streak ranks fourth nationally entering the Rams' Dec. 29 home contest against Adams State.
- The Rams' Nov. 15 victory over Chadron State (93-50), the team's 15th straight at home, established a new Moby Arena record for the program, which the Rams have since extended to 19 games.
- The Ram's current home streak is the second-longest all-time in school history behind a 22-game run between 1960-62 when Colorado State played still called South College Gym home.
- Colorado State remains at Moby Arena for its first nationally televised home game of the season against Conference USA foe UTEP.
- Tipoff between the Rams and the Miners is set for 8:15 p.m. MT and the game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
- The matchup pits Rams' head coach Larry Eustachy against close friend Tim Floyd, who proceeded Eustachy at Iowa State.
- The contest is the second in a three-game homestand to close out non-conference play for the Rams.
CSU's Octeus to transfer for final season of...
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy announced Tuesday that senior guard Jon...
CSU transfer Behanan to enter NBA Draft
The Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy announced Monday that Chane Behanan...
CSU's Smith granted release from scholarship
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy and guard Dwight Smith jointly...
CSU's Holt, Cohn granted release from...
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy announced Friday that freshman guard...
Men's basketball recap: Late Utah State rally...
The Colorado State men's basketball team stormed back from a double-digit first-half deficit to...
Men's basketball recap: Colorado State falls to...
Dwight Smith scored a career-high 21 points for Colorado State, but Spencer Butterfield's 3-point...
CSU's Bejarano earns USBWA All-District VIII...
A day after earning All-Mountain West accolades, Colorado State junior guard Daniel Bejarano took...
Game notes: Rams open MW tourney Wednesday vs. ...
Colorado State opens play at the 2014 Reese's Mountain West Championships with an opening-round...