Dec. 21, 2011
Colorado State at Northern Colorado | Game 11
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||NORTHERN COLORADO BEARS|
|CSU RETURNING STATISTICAL LEADERS||UNC STATISTICAL LEADERS|
• Colorado State makes the short trip to nearby Greeley, Colo., for a Thursday matchup with in-state rival Northern Colorado.
• Tipoff between the Rams (6-4) and the Bears (3-7) is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT. at UNC’s Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion (2,992).
• Colorado State travels to nearby Greeley, Colo., for a tilt with in-state rival Northern Colorado at the Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion Thursday at 7 p.m. MT.
• Colorado State Head Coach Tim Miles is looking for his first victory at the Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. The Rams lost Miles’ initial game at UNC in 2007 (79-52) and suffered a heart-breaking 70-63 defeat early in the 2009-10 season.
• Thursday’s game pits the only two Division I basketball program’s in the state to have earned postseason berths in each of the past two seasons.
• The Rams played in the 2010 College Basketball Invitational and were participants in the 2011 National Invitation Tournament, while UNC participated in the 2010 CollegeInsider.com tournament before making a run to the NCAA tournament in 2011 as Big Sky tournament champions.
• Fans unable to travel to Greeley for Thursday’s matchup can tune in to the radio broadcast on the Colorado State Sports Network as Voice of the Rams, Brian Roth, calls the action.
• Streaming audio is also available at CSURams.com/allaccess.
• Live stats and streaming video are also available at UNCBears.com.
About Northern Colorado
• Northern Colorado enters Thursday’s contest against the Rams with an overall record of 3-7, including a 1-3 home mark to open the 2011-12 season.
• The Bears opened the season with four straight losses - vs. New Mexico State (89-75), at Wyoming (75-56), at Northern Iowa (78-69), and at Iowa State (90-82) - before picking up big wins over Western Carolina (74-57) and Southern (77-57) in the South Padre Island Invitational in late November. UNC played three straight home games to open December going 1-2 against Westminster (L, 73-60), Johnson & Wales (W, 98-66) and Denver (L, 71-66). Most recently, the Bears are coming off of a 93-72 setback at No. 11 Marquette on Saturday.
• Head coach B.J. Hill is in his second season at the helm of the UNC program where he has amassed a record of 24-18.
• Hill led the 2010-11 Bears to a 21-11 mark, capturing the Big Sky regular-season and tournament championships and earning the programs’ first NCAA tournament bid, where they lost to Mountain West foe San Diego State.
• The Bears returned just one starter from last season in junior guard Elliott Lloydd who has come off the bench in all nine games he has played this season.
• Sophomore duo Paul Garnica and Tate Unruh rank as the team’s top scorers at 13.0 and 12.9 points per game, respectively.
• Connor Osborne, a sophomore center from Littleton, Colo., lead the team in rebounding, pulling down 5.4 boards per contest, while notching a team-leading six blocks.
• As a team, the Bears offense averages 72.8 points per contest, which ranks 101st nationally. The UNC defense ranks near the bottom of NCAA DI, surrendering 74.9 points per contest, which comes in at No. 303 in the NCAA rankings.
Series vs. Northern Colorado
• The rivalry between Colorado State and Northern Colorado is the program’s oldest, dating back to the first ever Colorado State basketball game, a 64-15 win in 1901.
• The Rams have had great success against the Bears, posting a 62-35 (.639) record against UNC.
• The Rams have won 10 of the last 12 meetings, with both UNC victories coming in the Rams’ most recent trips to the Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion in 2007 (79-52) and 2009 (70-63).
• CSU is 18-24 all-time in road games in the series with the Bears, while the Rams have posted a 44-11 mark in games played in Fort Collins.
• Head Coach Tim Miles is 2-2 against the Bears, with both victories coming at home in 2008 (85-74) and 2010 (75-61).
Miles vs. the Centennial State
• The steady improvement in the Colorado State men’s basketball team over the last four seasons under Head Coach Tim Miles can be seen in the Rams’ regular-season record vs. the other four NCAA Division I programs in the state of Colorado.
• In Miles’ first season, the Rams posted a 1-4 record against in-state rivals Colorado, Denver, Northern Colorado and Air Force (two games).
• During the 2008-09 season, Miles’ second at CSU, the Rams improved to 3-2 in those contests.
• In Miles’ third year, 2009-10, the Rams were impressive against their regional rivals, posting a 4-1 mark with the lone setback coming against a UNC team that went on to win 25 games.
• In 2010-11, the Rams once again posted a winning record vs. their in-state rivals, going 3-2 with wins over DU and UNC and a split vs. Air Force.
• Thursday’s contest at UNC marks’ the Rams’ second such contest of the 2011-12 season. CSU pulled out a thrilling 65-64 win over CU on Nov. 30.
• Overall, Miles has led the Rams’ to a 12-9 record against in-state Division I rivals since taking over the program in 2007-08, and has compiled an impressive mark of 11-5 tally since the start of the 2008-09 campaign.
A win over Northern Colorado will...
• Move the Rams to 7-4 to open the 2011-12 season.
• Give Colorado State a two-game winning streak.
• Put CSU in the win column on the road for the first time this season.
• Snap the Rams’ six-game road losing streak dating back to the end of the 2010-11 campaign.
• Improve the Rams’ all-time mark against Northern Colorado to 63-35, including a 19-24 mark all-time in Greeley.
• Mark the Rams’ second victory over a Big Sky opponent this season. CSU opened the 2011-12 slate with a 64-58 home win over the Montana Grizzlies.
• Give the Rams a 123-66 mark all-time against current members of the Big Sky Conference.
• The Rams take a small break away from the court for the Christmas holiday before returning to action Dec. 28-29 at the Bank of the West Don Haskins Sunbowl Invitational in El Paso, Texas.
• Colorado State opens the tournament Dec. 28 against host UTEP. The Rams and the Miners are slated to tip at 7 p.m. MT.
• Day 2 of the tournament will feature a matchup with either Arkansas-Pine Bluff or Jacksonville State. Game time for the second round of action is TBD.
• Fans can catch the game on the Colorado State Sports Network as Voice of the Rams, Brian Roth, calls the action courtside. Streaming audio is also available at CSURams.com/allaccess.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Game notes: CSU hosts Nevada Wednesday night at...
CSU (15-2, 2-2 MW), returns home to host Nevada (6-9, 2-1 MW) on Wednesday.
Men's basketball recap: Avila lifts Rams in...
The Colorado State men's basketball team held on for a 92-87 victory on Saturday in a wild game...
Game notes: Rams visit in-state rival Falcons...
CSU, travels to Colorado Springs for a Mountain West matchup against in-state rival Air Force on ...
Men's basketball recap: Rams drop close...
The Colorado State men's basketball team had its 10-game home court win streak snapped on...
Game notes: Rams, Cowboys clash with high...
Colorado State, returns home to continue Mountain West play against rival Wyoming in the season's...
Men's basketball recap: No. 24 Rams suffer ...
The No. 24-ranked Colorado State men's basketball team fell from the ranks of the unbeaten on...
Game notes: No. 24 CSU visits New Mexico Saturday
Colorado State, travels to Albuquerque, N.M., for a Mountain West road test against perennial...
Men's basketball recap: Gillon fuels No. 24...
The Colorado State men's basketball team improved to 14-0 on the season, beating the Boise State ...