Dec. 18, 2012
Colorado State vs. CSU Bakersfield | Game 10
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||CSU BAKERSFIELD ROADRUNNERS|
|CSU STATISTICAL LEADERS||CSUB STATISTICAL LEADERS|
- Colorado State continues a stretch of four games in seven days - as part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic - hosting the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners on Wednesday night at Moby Arena.
- Tipoff between the Rams and the Roadrunners is set for 7 p.m. MT at Moby Arena.
- The contest will mark the first in the series.
- The 7-2 Rams are coming off of an 83-55 victory over the North Florida Ospreys on Monday night in the tournament's first round. CSU Bakersfield fell, 69-51, on the road against the Portland Pilots.
- Voice of the Rams Brian Roth will have the call on the Colorado State Sports Network, 560 AM KLZ (Denver), 600 AM KCOL (Fort Collins), 1010 AM KSIR (Fort Morgan) and 1100 AM KNZZ (Grand Junction).
- Streaming audio (free) video (subscription) is available via Rams All-Access and live statistics can be viewed online via Gametracker at CSURams.com.
- Tournament play continues for the Rams at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., for third- and fourth-round matchups against Portland (Dec. 22) and either Virginia Tech or Bradley (Dec. 23).
Rams quick hits
- Colorado State enters the 2012-13 men's basketball season under the direction of new head coach Larry Eustachy, in his 22nd season as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
- The Colorado State basketball program is looking for its fourth-consecutive postseason appearance, and its second straight NCAA Tournament berth, in 2012-13.
- The Rams return an experienced roster with seven letterwinners back form the 2011-12 season.
- The Rams welcome a host of talented newcomers to the court this season, including Division I transfers Colton Iverson (Minnesota) and Daniel Bejarano (Arizona) who sat out 2011-12 per NCAA transfer rules.
- Other Rams' newcomers are: Junior F Gerson Santo, sophomore guards Jon Octeus and Josh Morgan, and freshman guards Jordan Mason and Joe De Ciman.
- Colorado State enters Wednesday's game with a 7-2 record. The Rams opened the season 6-0, tying the program mark for best start established in 1970-71 and matched by the 2005-06 squad.
- Colorado State ranks as one of the top rebounding teams in the nation, and entered play this week leading the NCAA in rebounding margin with an average differential of 16.1 boards per game. The team has yet to be outrebounded in a game this year.
- Colorado State has opened the 2012-13 campaign with a 2-2 record on the road, picking up tough road wins at Denver and at Washington, before falling in their last two outings at Colorado and UIC. The Rams were 3-9 on the road last year.
- Colorado State's two road loss (Colorado and UIC) have come at the hands of programs with a combined 16-3 (.842) record.
- The Rams have been even more impressive at home, racking up five wins and extending a record win streak at Moby Arena to 18 games. The streak ranks tied for fourth nationally entering the Rams' tilt Wednesday vs. CSU Bakersfield.
- Senior C Colton Iverson racked up five consecutive double-doubles between Nov. 21 and Dec. 5. Entering play Wednesday, Iverson is one of 23 players nationally to average a double-double through games played Dec. 17.
- Colorado State's starting front court of Colton Iverson (10.3 rpg), Pierce Hornung (10.3) and Greg Smith (6.2 rpg) each rank in the top-10 in the Mountain West in rebounding.
- In early August, the CSU basketball program spent five days together at the Atlantis Paradise Island Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. Per NCAA rules, the team was allotted 10 days of practice leading up to the trip, and then played an exhibition contest against the Bahamas All-Stars, winning 95-80 behind a double-double effort (18 points, 14 rebounds) from Colton Iverson.
- The 2012-13 season marks the 110th in the history of the Colorado State men's basketball program. The Rams are 1,136-1,172 (.492) in 2,308 games all-time.
About CSU Bakersfield
- The Roadrunners own a 4-7 record after dropping their opening game of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic at Portland 69-51.
- Colorado State is the second of four Mountain West opponents the Roadrunners will face this season. CSU Bakersfield suffered a loss in Laramie, Wyo. on Nov. 24. The Roadrunners are set to face Wyoming at home before the season ends and in addition to road games at UNLV and San Diego State.
- The Roadrunners have played seven of their first 11 games away from home, going 1-6 with a victory against Cal State Fullerton.
- CSUB opened the season losing its first four contests before rattling off wins in three of their next four games.
- This Roadrunners squad features three players averaging double figures in scoring. Stephon Carter (15.3), Brandon Barnes (11.3) and Javonte Maynor (10.2).
- Maynor is shooting better than 40 percent from beyond the arc this year, and has knocked down a team-leading 30 treys, or 2.7 per contest.
- CSU Bakersfield is 2-5 in the month of December, with wins at home against La Verne (69-49) and on the road against Cal State Fullerton (72-70).
- Head coach Rod Barnes, whose son Brandon is the Roadrunners second leading scorer, is in his second season with CSU Bakersfield. He has compiled a 20-22 record and in his first season he led the team to the programs first postseason berth when they earned a spot in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
- CSU Bakersfield is one of two independent Division I basketball programs, the other being the University of New Orleans. The Roadrunners are set to join the Western Athletic conference in 2013.
Series vs. CSU Bakersfield
- Wednesday night's meeting at Moby Arena marks the first in the series between the Rams and the Ospreys.
A win over CSU Bakersfield will...
- Push the Rams' home-court win streak to 19 games, extending the team's Moby Arena record and moving within three home wins of the program's all-time home win streak of 22.
- Be the first over CSU-Bakersfield.
- Be the sixth consecutive victory for the Rams during in-season tournaments (Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational - UTEP and Jacksonville State, Dick's Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off - Manhattan and UTSA and Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic - North Florida).
- Give Colorado State a 2-0 record in the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic, heading into this weekend's third and fourth rounds at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nev.
- Improve CSU's overall record to 8-2, its best start through 10 games since 2006-07 season.
Streaking at home
- Colorado State's current 18-game home-court win streak ranks tied for fourth nationally entering Wednesday's home contest against CSU Bakersfield.
- The Rams' Nov. 15 victory over Chadron State (93-50), the team's 15th straight at home, established a new Moby Arena record for the program, which the Rams have since extended to 18 games.
- The Ram's current home streak is the second-longest all-time in school history behind a 22-game run between 1960-62 when Colorado State played still called South College Gym home.
- The Rams advance on to the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., for third- and fourth-round matchups in the Continental Tire Las vegas Classic.
- The Rams' third-round matchup is set for Saturday at 8:30 p.m. MT/7:30 p.m. PT against the Portland Pilots of the West Coast Conference.
- CSU concludes the tournament the next day against either Virginia Tech or Bradley, with tip time - 7 p.m. MT or 9:30 p.m. MT - dependant on the outcome of the CSU-Portland contest.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Preview: Rams continue MW road trip at San Jose...
CSU looks to get its second road win of the season against the Spartans, televised on Campus...
Recap: Rams lose 74-73 on buzzer-beater 3 at...
CSU leads for a majority of the game at the Broncos but Hutchison hits a highly-guarded banked 3 ...
Preview: Rams open road portion of Mountain...
CSU renewed battle with the Broncos to be televised on ESPN3 at 4 p.m. MT on New Year's Eve
Recap: Rams open Mountain West action with 91-7...
CSU uses a 25-3 run over a 6:09 span to take the lead and eventual control of the game
Preview: Rams open Mountain West Conference...
CSU to take on the Runnin' Rebels at Moby Arena in the league opener for both squads
Recap: Rams lose a thriller again in the...
CSU rallied from a 15-point, second-half deficit but could not close it out in the final minute
Preview: Rams conclude non-conference play at...
CSU to play just its third road game of the year when it travels to take on the 49ers
Recap: Rams lose in final seconds to Loyola...
Brandon Brown's 3-pointer with 0.9 seconds to play lifts the Lions to the victory.