Nov. 20, 2012
Colorado State at Denver | Game 3
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||DENVER PIONEERS|
|CSU STATISTICAL LEADERS||DU STATISTICAL LEADERS|
• The Colorado State men’s basketball team plays its first road game of the season, making the short drive south to face in-state the in-state rival Denver Pioneers.
• Tipoff between the Rams and the Pioneers is set for 7 p.m. MT at DU’s Magness Arena.
• Brian Roth will have the call on the Colorado State Sports Network, 560 AM KLZ (Denver), 600 AM KCOL (Fort Collins), 1010 AM KSIR (Fort Morgan) and 1100 AM KNZZ (Grand Junction).
• The game will be televised live in HD on ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain - DirecTV channel 683, Comcast Digital channels 26 and 665, and Dish Network channel 414 - with Marc Stout (play-by-play), Greg Lackey (color analyst) and Jenny Cavnar (sideline).
• Streaming audio is available via Rams All-Access and live statistics can be viewed at DenverPioneers.com.
Rams quick hits
• Colorado State enters the 2012-13 men’s basketball season under the direction of new head coach Larry Eustachy, in his 22nd season as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
• The Colorado State basketball program is looking for its fourth-consecutive postseason appearance, and its second straight NCAA Tournament berth, in 2012-13.
• The Rams return an experienced roster in 2012-13, as seven letterwinners from the Rams’ 2011-12 squad are back in the Green and Gold this season.
• The Rams will welcome a host of talented newcomers to the court this season, including Division I transfers Colton Iverson (Minnesota) and Daniel Bejarano (Arizona) who sat out 2011-12 per NCAA transfer rules.
• Other Rams’ newcomers are: Junior F Gerson Santo, sophomore guards Jon Octeus and Josh Morgan, and freshman guards Jordan Mason and Joe De Ciman.
• Colorado State posted a 14-1 mark at Moby Arena in 2012-13, the program’s best home win percentage (.933) since the Arena opened in 1966.
• Entering Wednesday’s contest at Denver, the Rams are receiving two votes in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Top-25 rankings.
• Colorado State has been selected to finish fourth in the Mountain West preseason media poll for the fourth consecutive season. In 2011-12, CSU finished in fourth place, but notched victories over each of the programs - San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico - that finished ahead of them in the league standings.
• In early August, the CSU basketball program spent five days together at the Atlantis Paradise Island Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. Per NCAA rules, the team was allotted 10 days of practice leading up to the trip, and then played an exhibition contest against the Bahamas All-Stars, winning 95-80 behind a double-double effort (18 points, 14 rebounds) from Colton Iverson.
• Following the Rams’ Nov. 15 victory over Chadron State, Colorado State men’s basketball has won a school-record 15 straight home games at Moby Arena, the team’s home since 1966.
• Colorado State closed the 2011-12 season ranking as one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country. The Rams led the Mountain in field-goal percentage (.471), three-point percentage (.400) and free-throw percentage (.768).
• The 2012-13 season marks the 110th in the history of the Colorado State men’s basketball program. The Rams are 1,131-1,170 (.492) in 2,301 games all-time.
• The Pioneers enter Wednesday’s meeting with a 1-2 record after losing to Cal, 72-61, in their latest outing.
• DU suffered a season-opening loss at Iona (65-58), followed by a home win vs. Texas A&M Corpus Christi (68-51) the next week.
• Head Coach Joe Scott is in his sixth year at the helm for DU. He owns an 81-76 all-time record with the Pioneers, including a 1-4 record against the Rams.
• The Pioneers return four of their top-five scorers from last season’s team that won a school-record 22 Division I games and finished second in the Sun Belt Conference West Division.
• Junior forward Chris Udofia was voted preseason first-team all-Sun Belt Conference during the offseason. Udofia has averaged 17.7 points per game this season, while shooting 54.3 percent from the floor.
• The Pioneers are averaging just 62.3 points per contest compared to CSU’s 82.5 during the 2012-13 campaign.
• DU enters the matchup averaging 27.7 rebounds per game, while CSU has grabbed 44.0 boards per contest.
Series vs. Denver
• Wednesday’s matchup marks the 158th meeting in the series between Denver and Colorado State.
• The first matchup took place in 1902-03 when the Rams defended their home court with a 19-17 victory over the Pioneers.
• CSU holds a 91-67 advantage against the Pioneers, however DU has a 36-39 advantage at home in the series.
• Of the 242 opponents CSU has faced in the program history the Rams have collected more wins over DU (91) than any other school; Wyoming is second with 88.
• CSU is 5-2 all-time in games played at DU’s Magness Arena.
A win over Denver will...
• Extend CSU’s winning streak over the Pioneers to four games and eight out of the last ten meetings.
• Give the Rams their 92nd win over the Pioneers, the most over any program CSU has faced in the history of the program.
• Mark the first time CSU has started the season 3-0 since the 2005-06 season, when the Rams won their first six games.
• Give the Rams six consecutive victories over in-state rivals. Since a loss at Air Force in February of 2011, the Rams have defeated, Colorado, Air Force (twice), Denver, and Northern Colorado.
Experience vs. Denver
• Several players on Colorado State’s roster are extremely familiar with the Denver, and the Rams’ returners have played a combined 14 vs. the Pioneers in their careers.
• Senior G Wes Eikmeier has scored 31 points in just two career games against DU, including a 22-point outburst in the Rams’ victory over the Pioneers last season.
The importance of road wins
• CSU Head Coach Larry Eustachy has stressed the importance of Road wins to his team since stepping on campus for the first time last April.
• In 2011-12, under Tim Miles, the Rams earned an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament despite a 3-9 road record.
• For his career, Eustachy is 84-152 (.356) in road contests, but his win percentage on the road jumps to .525 (42-38) in seasons that he has led his programs to the postseason.
• In four seasons that ended in NCAA Tournament appearances at Southern Miss (2011-12), Iowa State (1999-00 and 2000-01) and Utah State (1997-98), Eustachy’s programs were an impressive 26-20 (.565) on the road.
Newcomers making impact
• Although returning a veteran squad in 2012-13, the CSU men’s basketball team has already seen significant impact from several newcomers through two games this season.
• Senior C Colton Iverson is averaging a team-leading 18.0 points per game, while pulling down 8.5 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore G Daniel Bejarano ranks third on the team in both scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.0 rpg).
• Sophomore G Jon Octeus saw a bulk of the minutes at point guard for the Rams vs. Chadron State, and bounced back from a slow debut vs. Montana, with 13 points and a game-high five assists against the Eagles.
• Junior F Gerson Santo also had a breakout performance in the Rams’ last outing vs. Chadron State, posting 12 points, seven rebounds, two blocks and an assist in 21 minutes off the bench.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Game notes: Unbeaten Rams host in-state rival...
Colorado State (8-0) plays the first of back-to-back games against in-state rivals on Sunday...
Men's basketball recap: Rams off to best start ...
The Colorado State Rams (7-0) are off to the best start in school history after knocking off the ...
Game notes: Eustachy, Rams host Floyd's...
Colorado State (6-0) returns home to Moby Arena, playing host to UTEP (4-1) on Wednesday night.
Men's basketball recap: Rams edge Gauchos...
The Colorado State men's basketball team earned a hard-fought victory over the UC Santa Barbara...
Game notes: Rams battle Gauchos for Great...
Colorado State continues play in the GCI Great Alaska Shootout, squaring off against the UC Santa...
Men's basketball recap: Rams advance with...
The Colorado State men's basketball team overcame a disappointing second half, and...
Game notes: Colorado State, Pacific battle for ...
Colorado State continues play in the GCI Great Alaska Shootout, playing in the tournament...
Men's basketball recap: Avila, Gillon lead Rams...
Colorado State senior forward J.J. Avila posted a double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds,...