Oct. 28, 2012
Colorado State vs. Metro State | Exhibition Game 1
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||METRO STATE ROADRUNNERS|
|CSU RETURNING STATISTICAL LEADERS||METRO STATE RETURNING STATISTICAL LEADERS|
• One of the most anticipated seasons in the history of Colorado State men’s basketball tips off, unofficially, on Sunday when the Rams host NCAA Division II powerhouse Metro State in an exhibition tilt at Moby Arena.
• Tipoff between the Rams and the Roadrunners is set for 2 p.m. MT at Moby Arena.
• Brian Roth will have the call on the Colorado State Sports Network, 560 AM KLZ (Denver), 600 AM KCOL (Fort Collins), 1010 AM KSIR (Fort Morgan) and 1100 AM KNZZ (Grand Junction).
• Streaming audio via Rams All-Access and live statistics (Gametracker) are available at CSURams.com.
Rams quick hits
• Colorado State enters the 2012-13 men’s basketball season under the direction of new head coach Larry Eustachy, who enters his 22nd season as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
• The Colorado State basketball program is looking for its fourth-consecutive postseason appearance, and its second straight NCAA Tournament berth, in 2012-13.
• The Rams officially open the 2012-13 regular season on Friday, Nov. 9, hosting the Montana Grizzlies at 7 p.m. MT at Moby Arena.
• The Rams return an experienced roster in 2012-13, as seven letterwinners from the Rams’ 2011-12 squad are back in the Green and Gold this season.
• The Rams will welcome a host of talented newcomers to the court this season, including Division I transfers Colton Iverson (Minnesota) and Daniel Bejarano (Arizona) who sat out 2011-12 per NCAA transfer rules.
• Other Rams’ newcomers are: Junior F Gerson Santo, sophomore guards Jon Octeus and Josh Morgan, and freshman guards Jordan Mason and Joe De Ciman.
• Colorado State posted a 14-1 mark at Moby Arena in 2012-13, the program’s best home win percentage (.933) since the Arena opened in 1966.
• Entering Sunday’s exhibition opener against Metro State, the Rams are receiving one vote in the Associated Press Media Poll, and four votes in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Top-25 rankings.
• Colorado State has been selected to finish fourth in the Mountain West preseason media poll for the fourth consecutive season. In 2011-12, CSU finished in fourth place, but notched victories over each of the programs - San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico - that finished ahead of them in the league standings.
• In early August, the CSU basketball program spent five days together at the Atlantis Paradise Island Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. Per NCAA rules, the team was allotted 10 days of practice leading up to the trip, and then played an exhibition contest against the Bahamas All-Stars, winning 95-80 behind a double-double effort (18 points, 14 rebounds) from Colton Iverson.
• The Rams closed the 2011-12 season riding a 13-game winning streak at Moby Arena. The streak ties for the ninth-longest active streak in NCAA Division I entering the 2012-13 campaign.
• Colorado State closed the 2011-12 season ranking as one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country. The Rams led the Mountain in field-goal percentage (.471), three-point percentage (.400) and free-throw percentage (.768).
• The 2011-12 season marks the 109th in the history of the Colorado State men’s basketball program. The Rams are 1,129-1,170 (.491) in 2,299 games all-time.
About Metro State
• Metro State men’s basketball is historically one of the most successful programs in the history of NCAA Division II.
• The Roadrunners are ranked No. 5 in the Division II Bulletin preseason top-25 poll, and come in at No. 6 in the Basketball Times preseason top-20.
• Metro State, the winningest program in the history of NCAA DII with a .714 winning percentage, reached Elite Eight in 2011-12, finishing with a 25-7 overall record, including a 17-5 mark in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.
• The Roadrunners were 9-3 in road contests during the 2011-12 campaign.
• The Roadrunners are under the tutelage of third-year head coach Derrick Clark. Clark, who previously served as an assistant at Metro State (1997-2005), Air Force (2005-07) and Colorado (2007-10), has led the Roadrunners to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances while posting a 47-15 career-record at the helm of the program.
• Metro State returns four starters from a season ago, led by preseason All-American Jonathan Morse, a 6-8 senior F/C from Boulder, Colo., who averaged 13.0 points and 9.3 rebounds per game as a junior in 2011-12.
Series vs. Metro State
• Though Sunday’s contest is an exhibition matchup for the Rams and Roadrunners, the two schools have met twice in regular-season competition, both coming in the early 1990s under former Rams’ head coach Stew Morrill.
• Colorado State captured victories in both home contests, downing Metro State 72-63 on Dec. 4, 1991, and coming away with a tight 88-84 win on Dec. 5, 1994.
MW preseason poll
• The Colorado State men’s basketball team was selected to finish fourth in the Mountain West Conference preseason media poll when the standings were released Oct. 22. It marked the second consecutive season that the Rams were picked fourth in the league’s preseason poll.
• The fourth-place prediction matches the highest preseason ranking for the Rams since CSU came into the 2003-04 season as the predicted third-place finisher. The Rams entered that season coming off of the 2003 MW tournament championship to earn the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament the previous March.
• The complete 2012-13 MW preseason poll is on Page 4 of this release.
Back-to-back-to-back postseason berths
• The Rams have earned three-straight postseason berths and have their sights set on a fourth in 2012-13.
• CSU has made three straight postseason appearances three times in program history, under head coaches Jim Williams (1961-63), Boyd Grant (1988-90) and Tim Miles (2010-12).
• The program has never earned postseason berths in four consecutive seasons.
• CSU’s postseason streaks of three years:
> 1960-61 (NIT), 1961-62 (NIT) and 1962-63 (NCAA)
> 1987-88 (NIT), 1988-89 (NCAA) and 1989-90 (NCAA)
> 2010-11 (CBI), 2011-12 (NIT) and 2012-13 (NCAA)
Rams’ Roster Breakdown Quick Hits
• Complete bio info for all players beginning on Page 22
• Colorado State is returning three starters, Wes Eikmeier, Dorian Green and Pierce Hornung, from the 2011-12 NCAA tournament team
• Eikmeier started all 32 games last year and led the Rams in scoring with 15.5 points per game.
• Eikmeier also led the team with 54 three pointers on the year and ranked first in the Mountain West shooting 87.8 percent from the free throw line, a full four percentage points ahead of second place.
• Green has started all 96 games of his career and ranked as the Rams’ second-leading scorer with 13.5 points per game, becoming he 19th player in program history to eclipse the 1,000-point plateau in 2011-12.
• Green was second on the team with 78 assists while pacing the Rams with 33.62 minutes per game, fourth most in the Mountain West.
• Hornung led the conference with 3.58 offensive rebounds per game, the most in the Mountain West since Andrew Bogut averaged 3.71 in the 2004-05 season.
• Hornung finished third in the conference with 8.7 rebounds per game as well as second in the Mountain West with 1.88 steals per game, earning MW all-defensive team honors.
• Including Wes Eikmeier, Dorian Green and Pierce Hornung, the Rams bring back seven letterwinners from the 2011-12 season.
• Jesse Carr tore his ACL during offseason workouts.
• Dwight Smith played in 30 games and was one of four Rams to record at least 10 blocks on the season.
• Greg Smith played in 30 games, finishing third on the team in scoring (9.7), second in rebounding (5.3), and second on the team with 13 blocks.
• Trevor Williams played in 14 games while battling a back injury.
• The Rams welcome seven newcomers to the roster in 2012-13 in Daniel Bejarano, Joe De Ciman, Colton Iverson, Jordan Mason, Josh Morgan, Jonathan Octeus and Gerson Santo
• Bejarano transferred to CSU after his true freshman season at Arizona, where he was one of the most highly recruited shooting guards in the country coming out of Phoenix’s North High School. Bejarano was a part of the 2010-11 Arizona Wildcats team that reached the Elite Eight.
• De Ciman was recruited out of Dr. Martin LeBoldus High School in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, where as a senior De Ciman averaged 30.2 points and 12.5 rebounds per game.
• Iverson transferred to CSU after playing three years at Minnesota. As a sophomore, Iverson helped lead the Gophers to the NCAA tournament where he recorded five blocks in a first round loss to Xavier.
• Mason scored more than 2,500 career points while leading his team to 67 victories in four years at Ennis High School in Ennis, Texas.
• A native of Colorado, Morgan transferred to CSU after his true freshman season at the University of Hawai’I Hilo
• Octeus is a transfer from Wabash Valley College where he averaged 12.3 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game as a redshirt freshman 2011-12.
• Santo is a transfer from the College of Southern Idaho where he helped his team win the Scenic West Athletic Conference and the Region 18 titles.
• Colorado State lost two starters from the 2011-12 season – sharp-shooter Kaipo Sabas and big man Will Bell.
• Bell started 28 games for the Rams while pulling down 118 rebounds.
• Sabas shot a team-best 45 percent from behind the arc while also hitting 19-of-23 from the free throw line.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Recap: Men's basketball defeats Loyola...
Gian Clavell tied his career high with 21 points, helping Colorado State to its 35th straight...
Men's hoops to host Loyola Marymount for home...
The CSU men's basketball team hosts Loyola Marymount in its 2015-16 home opener at Moby Arena,...
Colorado State Ends Northern Iowa's Home-Court ...
John Gillon, Joe De Ciman and Gian Clavell scored 16 points apiece and Colorado State beat...
"Declare Your Major Day" a success at Colorado ...
Like many college freshmen, Albert Bimper wasn't sure where his academic path would lead when he ...
Men's Hoops Signs Devocio Butler to...
CSU men’s basketball has inked Devocio Butlerto a National Letter of Intent, head coach...
Men's Basketball to Open Season at Northern Iowa
CSU takes to the road to start the 2015-16 season against UNI, a team that advanced to the Round ...
Men's Hoops Earns 89-65 Exhibition Victory ...
In its first and only tune-up of the 2015-16 season, the Colorado State men’s basketball...
Men's Hoops Hosts CSU-Pueblo for Exhibition Nov. 7
The CSU men's basketball team gets going with its only exhibition prior to the 2015-16 season,...