One of the several minor changes is a fully-painted Ram head logo at midcourt.
May 14, 2013
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - After four weeks of renovations, Moby Arena's updated court is now complete. The early response has been overwhelmingly positive.
"The Moby court design is the coolest around," said head women's basketball coach Ryun Williams. "The improvements made will surely help in recruiting, as well as game and practice play."
The court, which receives minor repairs every two to three years, received its first major facelift since 2006. The resurfacing project began on April 15 and included shaving down one-32nd of an inch of wood, and repainting the entire design.
Minor design changes include:
- The words `Colorado State' replacing `Rams' on both baselines near the baskets. The text is now painted gold with a white outline instead of the color of the wood court.
- Also painted in gold is the word `Rams' above midcourt near the scorer's table.
- The Ram head logo, seen at center court, now mirrors the athletic department's traditional logo with the face and horns painted in white, and outlined in green with a gold border. Previously, the white was replaced with the court's natural wood. With `Colorado State' now written on both baselines, the wording is no longer printed below the Ram head.
- The Mountain West logo, which has always been seen near each free throw line, now has a CSU touch to it, being painted green and gold instead of the conference's purple and gray.
- The iconic Ram horns, which encompass the court, have remained the same. Some may note a more noticeable contrast between the stained horns and the color of the rest of the court. The color is the same as it was previously, however, and the contrast will fade over time.
The court will first be used for commencement ceremonies this weekend. The first official competition will take place on Aug. 30 for CSU volleyball's home opener vs. Baylor.
"We're constantly trying to improve our brand in all sports, and improving the look of Moby Arena helps us do that," said Tom Hilbert, head coach of the volleyball team. "The improvements we're making, both to the court and to the arena as a whole, are important."
Home to the Colorado State men's and women's basketball squads, as well as the women's volleyball team, Moby Arena has become one of the toughest venues in the nation for opponents. During the 2012-13 academic year, the three teams that call the venue home were a combined 39-9, a winning percentage better than 81 percent.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Men's hoops to host Loyola Marymount for home...
The CSU men's basketball team hosts Loyola Marymount in its 2015-16 home opener at Moby Arena,...
Colorado State Ends Northern Iowa's Home-Court ...
John Gillon, Joe De Ciman and Gian Clavell scored 16 points apiece and Colorado State beat...
"Declare Your Major Day" a success at Colorado ...
Like many college freshmen, Albert Bimper wasn't sure where his academic path would lead when he ...
Men's Hoops Signs Devocio Butler to...
CSU men’s basketball has inked Devocio Butlerto a National Letter of Intent, head coach...
Men's Basketball to Open Season at Northern Iowa
CSU takes to the road to start the 2015-16 season against UNI, a team that advanced to the Round ...
Men's Hoops Earns 89-65 Exhibition Victory ...
In its first and only tune-up of the 2015-16 season, the Colorado State men’s basketball...
Men's Hoops Hosts CSU-Pueblo for Exhibition Nov. 7
The CSU men's basketball team gets going with its only exhibition prior to the 2015-16 season,...
Rams shift game time for Nov. 7 exhibition vs. ...
Colorado State announced Thursday morning that the Rams’ men’s basketball exhibition ...