March 11, 2014
Colorado State (9) vs. Utah State (8) | Game 32 | MW First Round
|COLORADO STATE RAMS||UTAH STATE AGGIES|
|CSU STATISTICAL LEADERS||USU STATISTICAL LEADERS|
- Colorado State opens play at the 2014 Reese's Mountain West Championships with an opening-round matchup against conference newcomer Utah State.
- Tipoff between the Rams and Aggies is set for 3 p.m. MT/2 p.m. PT at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
- The game will air across the Colorado State Radio Network, including flagship 105.5 FM ESPN, with Gary Miller and Brian Roth calling the action.
- The matchup will also be streamed for free on the Mountain West Network with Rich Cellini (play-by-play) and Joe Cravens (analyst), at www.CSURams.com/videos.
- The game marks the 81st in the series between the Rams and Aggies. CSU is 35-45 in the series, but the two programs have never met on a neutral court.
- The Rams and Aggies finished tied in the league standings with USU finishing as the No. 8 seed, and the Rams as the No. 9 seed by virtue of USU's regular-season sweep of CSU.
About Utah State
- Utah State enters Wednesday's contest with a record of 17-13, finishing 7-11 in Mountain West play and tying Colorado State for eighth place in the standings.
- Since capturing a 71-62 road win in Fort Collins, the Aggies lost four straight before winning two in a row - at San José State (75-58) and vs. Wyoming (65-54) - heading into action this week at the MW tournament.
- The Aggies are 0-1 on neutral floors this season, suffering an 85-74 setback vs. BYU at EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City on Nov. 30.
- Three players average double-figures scoring on the season for Utah State, led by senior center Jarred Shaw who averages 14.4 points per game but has played in just 25 games (missing five due to suspension). Senior guards Spencer Butterfield and Preston Medlin each average 13.3 and 12.6 points per game, respectively, while sophomore forward Kyle Davis adds 9.4 points per game.
- Three Aggies average better than 6.0 rebounds per game: Jarred Shaw (8.5), Kyle Davis (7.8) and Spencer Butterfield (6.2).
- Spencer Butterfield ranks as the best three-point shooter in the Mountain West, connecting on 47.5 percent (67-141) from beyond the arc.
- Shaw and Butterfield each earned honorable mention All-Mountain West accolades.
- Offensively, the Aggies rank eighth in the MW scoring 70.1 points per game, and rank fifth in the league allowing just 66.3 points per contest.
- The team ranks as the No. 1 three-point shooting squad in the Mountain West, hitting 40.7 percent from beyond the arc, while ranking second in the MW in free-throw percentage (.737), and fourth in overall field-goal percentage (.457).
- Head coach Stew Morrill, who spent seven seasons at the helm of CSU's program (1991-92 to 1997-98) is in his 16th season at Utah State where he is 382-142 (.729) since taking over the program from current Rams' head coach Larry Eustachy. Overall, in his 28th season as a head coach, Morrill is 601-280 (.682).
Series vs. Utah State
- Wednesday's game between the Rams and the Aggies marks the 81st in the series between the programs, dating back to the first meeting - an 57-34 USU win - during the 1937-38 season.
- USU leads the series, 45-35, including the Aggies' two victories during the regular season - 57-50 in Logan on Jan. 15 and 71-62 in Fort Collins on Feb. 11.
- Prior to this year, the programs had not competed as league foes since the 1961-62 when they capped a 23-year run as Mountain States Conference rivals.
- The two programs have never met on a neutral floor.
A win over Utah State will...
- Move Head Coach Larry Eustachy’s record to 43-24 at Colorado State and 445-282 overall.
- Push the Rams’ record to 17-15 overall.
- Improve the Rams’ record vs. USU to 36-45 and 1-0 on a neutral court.
- Snap the Rams' two-game losing streak to the Aggies as Mountain West foes.
- Give the Rams a 10-14 mark all-time in Mountain West tournament action, including a 3-1 record in "First Round" games.
- Give the Rams at least one tournament victory in each of the last three seasons.
- Mark the Rams' 17th victory of the season, securing a fourth-consecutive winning season, the longest stretch for the program since a 9-year run from 1992-93 to 2000-01.
Eustachy vs. Utah State
- CSU Head coach Larry Eustachy is 0-2 in his 23-year career against Utah State, with both losses coming earlier this season.
Colorado State-Utah State connections
- Wednesday's matchup between Colorado State and Utah State features a number of notable connections.
- CSU head coach Larry Eustachy was the head coach of the Aggies for five season from 1993-94 to 1997-98, where he posted a 98-53 record and led the Aggies to three regular-season conference championships and an NCAA tournament run in 1998.
- Eustachy was succeeded at Utah State by current Aggies' coach Stew Morrill, who took over the USU program after a 7-year stint on the sideline at CSU. Morrill was 121-86 at CSU from 1991-92 to 1997-98.
- CSU's associate head coach Leonard Perry was on Eustachy's staff at Utah State as an assistant from 1995-98, while Rams' assistant Steve Barnes served two stints with Eustachy in Logan, as an assistant (1993-94), and as associate head coach (1996-98).
- Utah State Associate Coach Tim Duryea also spent time in Fort Collins, beginning his career as an assistant for Boyd "Tiny" Grant from 1988-90.
All-MW honors (click for release)
- Two Rams earned as All-MW honors in 2014, as Daniel Bejarano and J.J. Avila used their versatility to grab second-team and third-team honors, respectively.
- Bejarano Cracked the top-10 in the league in nine categories: scoring (18.8, 2nd), rebounding (7.7, 9th), field-goal percentage (.388, 10th), free-throw percentage (.788, 7th), three-point percentage (.371, 7th), three-pointers per game (2.6, 2nd), assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4, 10th), offensive rebounds per game (2.2, 10th) and defensive rebounds per game (5.3, 8th).
- Avila ranked in eight categories: scoring (14.9, 8th), rebounding (8.3, 7th), field-goal percentage (.397, 8th), assists per game (3.3, 7th), free-throw percentage (.766, 10th), three-point percentage (.371, 7th), offensive rebounds per game (3.1, 6th), defensive rebounds per game (5.2, 9th), and minutes per game (35.1, 7th). \
Santo lost to hand injury
- Colorado State's starting big man Gerson Santo was lost to a career-ending broken left hand early in the Rams' regular-season finale at Wyoming on March 8.
- Santo, who averages 5.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game for the Rams, played just five minutes against the Cowboys before suffering the injury, which will require him to be in a cast for 6 weeks.).
- Should Colorado State advance beyond the opening round of the 2014 Reese's Mountain West Championships, the Rams would face the top-seeded San Diego State Aztecs in Quarterfinal 1 on Thursday afternoon.
- Tipoff between the Rams and the Aztecs would be slated for 1 p.m. MT/12 p.m. PT at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
- The game would be broadcast nationally on CBS Sports Network with Rich Waltz (play-by-play), Steve Lappas and Doug Gottlieb (analysts) and Lauren Gardner (sideline) calling all the action.
- The game would also be heard across the CSU Radio Network, including flagship 105.5 FM ESPN Radio with Gary Miller (play-by-play) and Brian Roth (analyst).
- San Diego State swept the regular-season series with the Rams, capturing a 71-61 win on Jan. 1 in Fort Collins, and a 65-56 victory on Feb. 1 in San Diego
Bahamas National Team opens training at...
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy welcomed 20 players to Moby Arena on...
CSU's Octeus to transfer for final season of...
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy announced Tuesday that senior guard Jon...
CSU transfer Behanan to enter NBA Draft
The Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy announced Monday that Chane Behanan...
CSU's Smith granted release from scholarship
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy and guard Dwight Smith jointly...
CSU's Holt, Cohn granted release from...
Colorado State men's basketball head coach Larry Eustachy announced Friday that freshman guard...
Men's basketball recap: Late Utah State rally...
The Colorado State men's basketball team stormed back from a double-digit first-half deficit to...
Men's basketball recap: Colorado State falls to...
Dwight Smith scored a career-high 21 points for Colorado State, but Spencer Butterfield's 3-point...
CSU's Bejarano earns USBWA All-District VIII...
A day after earning All-Mountain West accolades, Colorado State junior guard Daniel Bejarano took...