Senior F Pierce Hornung
March 6, 2013
TULSA, Okla. – Colorado State forward Pierce Hornung was selected this week as one of 12 semifinalists for the 2013 Eddie Sutton Tustenugee Award.
The award, now in its third year, is presented by Tulsa Sports Charities to the to the collegiate basketball player who best exhibits the traits of tenacity and unselfishness that Sutton advocated during his Hall of Fame career.
Hornung, a 2012 third-team all-Mountain West selection and Mountain West all-defensive team honoree, ranks as one of the nation’s top rebounders. Entering play this week, the 6-foot, 5-inch Hornung ranks second in the Mountain West in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game, trailing only 6-10 teammate Colton Iverson.
The senior forward also ranks among the nation’s top offensive rebounders, averaging an impressive 4.3 offensive boards per game to rank second nationally. His 115 offensive rebounds have accounted for 131 second-chance points for the Rams this season, 32 percent of the team’s total second-chance points in his 27 games played.
He has recorded five double-doubles on the year and leads the team in steals, while ranking second in both assists and blocks.
The nominees are:
• Aaron Craft - Ohio State (6-2, junior, guard, Findlay, Ohio)
• Matthew Dellavedova - Saint Mary’s College (6-4, senior, guard, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia)
• Melvin Ejim - Iowa State (6-6, junior, forward, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
• Grant Gibbs – Creighton (6-5, senior, guard, Marion, Iowa)
• Mike Hart – Gonzaga (6-6, senior, guard, Portland, Ore.)
• Pierce Hornung – Colorado State (6-5, senior, forward, Arvada, Colo.)
• Mike Muscala – Bucknell (6-11, senior, center, Roseville, Minn.)
• Victor Oladipo – Indiana (6-5, junior, guard, Marlboro, Md.)
• Kevin Parrom – Arizona (6-6, senior, guard, Bronx, N.Y.)
• E.J. Singler – Oregon (6-6, senior, forward, Medford, Ore.)
• Marcus Smart - Oklahoma State (6-4, freshman, guard, Flower Mound, Texas)
• Scottie Wilbekin – Florida (6-2, junior, guard, Gainesville, Fla.)
Previous Tustenugee Award recipients were Matt Howard of Butler University in 2011, and Quincy Acy of Baylor in 2012.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Rams add Braden Koelliker to roster for next...
Rising sophomore Braden Koelliker has signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Colorado...
Phillips named Master Strength and Conditioning...
Head strength and conditioning coach Jason Phillips has been named Master Strength and...
Herl named men's hoops assistant coach, Barnes ...
Jase Herl joins the CSU coaching staff, while Steve Barnes is moved up to associate head coach...
Che Bob Signed to National Letter of Intent to ...
The rising junior was named First Team All-Region as well as WJCAC Newcomer of the Year
Colorado State and Learfield's Rams Sports...
Colorado State University and its athletics multimedia rights holder, Learfield's Rams Sports...
Colorado State and Arkansas announce future...
Colorado State and Southeastern Conference member Arkansas jointly announced today that the two...
Rams decline postseason opportunities, conclude...
The Colorado State men’s basketball team has declined opportunities to play in the College...
Recap: Poor shooting dooms the Rams in 64-56...
John Gillon made all 10 of his free-throw attempts and finished with 13 points. Fred Richardson...