Senior F Pierce Hornung
March 6, 2013
TULSA, Okla. – Colorado State forward Pierce Hornung was selected this week as one of 12 semifinalists for the 2013 Eddie Sutton Tustenugee Award.
The award, now in its third year, is presented by Tulsa Sports Charities to the to the collegiate basketball player who best exhibits the traits of tenacity and unselfishness that Sutton advocated during his Hall of Fame career.
Hornung, a 2012 third-team all-Mountain West selection and Mountain West all-defensive team honoree, ranks as one of the nation’s top rebounders. Entering play this week, the 6-foot, 5-inch Hornung ranks second in the Mountain West in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game, trailing only 6-10 teammate Colton Iverson.
The senior forward also ranks among the nation’s top offensive rebounders, averaging an impressive 4.3 offensive boards per game to rank second nationally. His 115 offensive rebounds have accounted for 131 second-chance points for the Rams this season, 32 percent of the team’s total second-chance points in his 27 games played.
He has recorded five double-doubles on the year and leads the team in steals, while ranking second in both assists and blocks.
The nominees are:
• Aaron Craft - Ohio State (6-2, junior, guard, Findlay, Ohio)
• Matthew Dellavedova - Saint Mary’s College (6-4, senior, guard, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia)
• Melvin Ejim - Iowa State (6-6, junior, forward, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
• Grant Gibbs – Creighton (6-5, senior, guard, Marion, Iowa)
• Mike Hart – Gonzaga (6-6, senior, guard, Portland, Ore.)
• Pierce Hornung – Colorado State (6-5, senior, forward, Arvada, Colo.)
• Mike Muscala – Bucknell (6-11, senior, center, Roseville, Minn.)
• Victor Oladipo – Indiana (6-5, junior, guard, Marlboro, Md.)
• Kevin Parrom – Arizona (6-6, senior, guard, Bronx, N.Y.)
• E.J. Singler – Oregon (6-6, senior, forward, Medford, Ore.)
• Marcus Smart - Oklahoma State (6-4, freshman, guard, Flower Mound, Texas)
• Scottie Wilbekin – Florida (6-2, junior, guard, Gainesville, Fla.)
Previous Tustenugee Award recipients were Matt Howard of Butler University in 2011, and Quincy Acy of Baylor in 2012.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Men's basketball recap: Rams drop Buffs, remain...
The Colorado State men's basketball team knocked off the rival Colorado Buffaloes, 62-60 on...
Game notes: Rams, Buffs renew rivalry Wednesday...
Colorado State makes the 44-mile trek southwest to nearby Boulder, Colo., for its annual rivalry ...
Men's basketball recap: CSU overcomes slow...
Colorado State men's basketball beat in-state rival Northern Colorado 66-58 Sunday afternoon in...
Game notes: Unbeaten Rams host in-state rival...
Colorado State (8-0) plays the first of back-to-back games against in-state rivals on Sunday...
Men's basketball recap: Rams off to best start ...
The Colorado State Rams (7-0) are off to the best start in school history after knocking off the ...
Game notes: Eustachy, Rams host Floyd's...
Colorado State (6-0) returns home to Moby Arena, playing host to UTEP (4-1) on Wednesday night.
Men's basketball recap: Rams edge Gauchos...
The Colorado State men's basketball team earned a hard-fought victory over the UC Santa Barbara...
Game notes: Rams battle Gauchos for Great...
Colorado State continues play in the GCI Great Alaska Shootout, squaring off against the UC Santa...