Senior F Pierce Hornung
March 6, 2013
TULSA, Okla. – Colorado State forward Pierce Hornung was selected this week as one of 12 semifinalists for the 2013 Eddie Sutton Tustenugee Award.
The award, now in its third year, is presented by Tulsa Sports Charities to the to the collegiate basketball player who best exhibits the traits of tenacity and unselfishness that Sutton advocated during his Hall of Fame career.
Hornung, a 2012 third-team all-Mountain West selection and Mountain West all-defensive team honoree, ranks as one of the nation’s top rebounders. Entering play this week, the 6-foot, 5-inch Hornung ranks second in the Mountain West in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game, trailing only 6-10 teammate Colton Iverson.
The senior forward also ranks among the nation’s top offensive rebounders, averaging an impressive 4.3 offensive boards per game to rank second nationally. His 115 offensive rebounds have accounted for 131 second-chance points for the Rams this season, 32 percent of the team’s total second-chance points in his 27 games played.
He has recorded five double-doubles on the year and leads the team in steals, while ranking second in both assists and blocks.
The nominees are:
• Aaron Craft - Ohio State (6-2, junior, guard, Findlay, Ohio)
• Matthew Dellavedova - Saint Mary’s College (6-4, senior, guard, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia)
• Melvin Ejim - Iowa State (6-6, junior, forward, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
• Grant Gibbs – Creighton (6-5, senior, guard, Marion, Iowa)
• Mike Hart – Gonzaga (6-6, senior, guard, Portland, Ore.)
• Pierce Hornung – Colorado State (6-5, senior, forward, Arvada, Colo.)
• Mike Muscala – Bucknell (6-11, senior, center, Roseville, Minn.)
• Victor Oladipo – Indiana (6-5, junior, guard, Marlboro, Md.)
• Kevin Parrom – Arizona (6-6, senior, guard, Bronx, N.Y.)
• E.J. Singler – Oregon (6-6, senior, forward, Medford, Ore.)
• Marcus Smart - Oklahoma State (6-4, freshman, guard, Flower Mound, Texas)
• Scottie Wilbekin – Florida (6-2, junior, guard, Gainesville, Fla.)
Previous Tustenugee Award recipients were Matt Howard of Butler University in 2011, and Quincy Acy of Baylor in 2012.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Men's basketball recap: Rams drop 72-63...
The Colorado State men's basketball team suffered a 72-63 loss at San Diego State on Saturday...
Game notes: Rams face first-place Aztecs...
Colorado State (21-4, 8-4 MW), travels to San Diego, Calif., looking to jump into at least a tie ...
Men's basketball recap: Defense fuels Rams in...
The Colorado State Rams improved to 21-4 (8-4 MW) on the season with a 70-59 win over the New...
Game notes: Rams host Lobos Tuesday at Moby Arena
Colorado State (20-4, 7-4 MW), remains home in Fort Collins to host the New Mexico Lobos (14-9, 6...
Men's basketball recap: Rams outlast Rebels in ...
The Colorado State Rams improved to 20-4 (7-4 MW) on the season, overcoming an 18-point first-hal...
Game notes: CSU hosts Orange Out Saturday vs. UNLV
Colorado State (19-4, 6-4 MW), returns home to Fort Collins, Colo., to host the UNLV Runnin'...
Men's basketball recap: Poor shooting dooms...
The Colorado State men's basketball team was unable to find its rhythm offensively on Wednesday...
Game notes: Rams, Cowboys reignite Border War...
Colorado State (19-3, 6-3 MW), travels north to Laramie, Wyo., for the second installment of the ...