March 6, 2013
TULSA, Okla. – Colorado State forward Pierce Hornung was selected this week as one of 12 semifinalists for the 2013 Eddie Sutton Tustenugee Award.
The award, now in its third year, is presented by Tulsa Sports Charities to the to the collegiate basketball player who best exhibits the traits of tenacity and unselfishness that Sutton advocated during his Hall of Fame career.
Hornung, a 2012 third-team all-Mountain West selection and Mountain West all-defensive team honoree, ranks as one of the nation’s top rebounders. Entering play this week, the 6-foot, 5-inch Hornung ranks second in the Mountain West in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game, trailing only 6-10 teammate Colton Iverson.
The senior forward also ranks among the nation’s top offensive rebounders, averaging an impressive 4.3 offensive boards per game to rank second nationally. His 115 offensive rebounds have accounted for 131 second-chance points for the Rams this season, 32 percent of the team’s total second-chance points in his 27 games played.
He has recorded five double-doubles on the year and leads the team in steals, while ranking second in both assists and blocks.
The nominees are:
• Aaron Craft - Ohio State (6-2, junior, guard, Findlay, Ohio)
• Matthew Dellavedova - Saint Mary’s College (6-4, senior, guard, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia)
• Melvin Ejim - Iowa State (6-6, junior, forward, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
• Grant Gibbs – Creighton (6-5, senior, guard, Marion, Iowa)
• Mike Hart – Gonzaga (6-6, senior, guard, Portland, Ore.)
• Pierce Hornung – Colorado State (6-5, senior, forward, Arvada, Colo.)
• Mike Muscala – Bucknell (6-11, senior, center, Roseville, Minn.)
• Victor Oladipo – Indiana (6-5, junior, guard, Marlboro, Md.)
• Kevin Parrom – Arizona (6-6, senior, guard, Bronx, N.Y.)
• E.J. Singler – Oregon (6-6, senior, forward, Medford, Ore.)
• Marcus Smart - Oklahoma State (6-4, freshman, guard, Flower Mound, Texas)
• Scottie Wilbekin – Florida (6-2, junior, guard, Gainesville, Fla.)
Previous Tustenugee Award recipients were Matt Howard of Butler University in 2011, and Quincy Acy of Baylor in 2012.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Omogbo Named Mountain West Men's Basketball...
Senior forward with three straight double-doubles in last week's three victories for CSU
Recap: Rams Handle Alcorn State, 80-58
CSU dominates the boards as J.D. Paige tallies a career-high 23 points in the victory
Preview: Rams Wrap Up Three Games In Five Days ...
CSU, currently on a six-game home winning streak dating back to last season, take on the Braves...
Recap: Rams Earn Fifth Straight Home Win With...
CSU limits an opponent to under 40 percent on field goals for fourth time this year
Preview: Rams Continue Homestand Against...
CSU looks to run home winning streak to six when it hosts the Lions of the Southland Conference
Recap: Rams Use Solid Shooting To Defeat...
CSU shoots better than 50 percent from the floor for the first time this season
Preview: Rams Start Three-Game Homestand...
CSU to play three games in five days at Moby Arena, starting with Wednesday's contest against the...
Recap: Rams Put Up Great Defense But Fall At...
CSU limits third straight regular-season opponent to under 40 percent from the floor but...