Senior F Pierce Hornung
March 6, 2013
TULSA, Okla. – Colorado State forward Pierce Hornung was selected this week as one of 12 semifinalists for the 2013 Eddie Sutton Tustenugee Award.
The award, now in its third year, is presented by Tulsa Sports Charities to the to the collegiate basketball player who best exhibits the traits of tenacity and unselfishness that Sutton advocated during his Hall of Fame career.
Hornung, a 2012 third-team all-Mountain West selection and Mountain West all-defensive team honoree, ranks as one of the nation’s top rebounders. Entering play this week, the 6-foot, 5-inch Hornung ranks second in the Mountain West in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game, trailing only 6-10 teammate Colton Iverson.
The senior forward also ranks among the nation’s top offensive rebounders, averaging an impressive 4.3 offensive boards per game to rank second nationally. His 115 offensive rebounds have accounted for 131 second-chance points for the Rams this season, 32 percent of the team’s total second-chance points in his 27 games played.
He has recorded five double-doubles on the year and leads the team in steals, while ranking second in both assists and blocks.
The nominees are:
• Aaron Craft - Ohio State (6-2, junior, guard, Findlay, Ohio)
• Matthew Dellavedova - Saint Mary’s College (6-4, senior, guard, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia)
• Melvin Ejim - Iowa State (6-6, junior, forward, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
• Grant Gibbs – Creighton (6-5, senior, guard, Marion, Iowa)
• Mike Hart – Gonzaga (6-6, senior, guard, Portland, Ore.)
• Pierce Hornung – Colorado State (6-5, senior, forward, Arvada, Colo.)
• Mike Muscala – Bucknell (6-11, senior, center, Roseville, Minn.)
• Victor Oladipo – Indiana (6-5, junior, guard, Marlboro, Md.)
• Kevin Parrom – Arizona (6-6, senior, guard, Bronx, N.Y.)
• E.J. Singler – Oregon (6-6, senior, forward, Medford, Ore.)
• Marcus Smart - Oklahoma State (6-4, freshman, guard, Flower Mound, Texas)
• Scottie Wilbekin – Florida (6-2, junior, guard, Gainesville, Fla.)
Previous Tustenugee Award recipients were Matt Howard of Butler University in 2011, and Quincy Acy of Baylor in 2012.
Download Schedules: Add to calendar
Men's basketball recap: Rams beat Aztecs 79-73 ...
The Colorado State Rams improved to 18-2 (5-2 MW) on the season with a wire-to-wire 79-73 win...
Game notes: Rams, Aztecs clash in Moby Arena...
Colorado State (17-2, 4-2 MW), returns home to host San Diego State (15-4, 5-1 MW) on Saturday at...
White Out set for Saturday vs. San Diego State
Colorado State men's basketball, off to the best record in program history at 17-2 (4-2 MW), will...
Men's basketball recap: Rams capture...
The Colorado State men's basketball team used an impressive defensive effort, and a balanced...
Game notes: Rams face Spartans in MW road contest
CSU (16-2, 3-2 MW), travels to Northern California to face San José State (2-15, 0-5 MW)...
Men's basketball recap: Rams blow out Wolf Pack...
The Colorado State Rams improved to 16-2 (3-2 MW) with a dominating, 98-42 victory over the...
Game notes: CSU hosts Nevada Wednesday night at...
CSU (15-2, 2-2 MW), returns home to host Nevada (6-9, 2-1 MW) on Wednesday.
Men's basketball recap: Avila lifts Rams in...
The Colorado State men's basketball team held on for a 92-87 victory on Saturday in a wild game...