Sept. 16, 2008
By Zak Gilbert
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Colorado State’s athletic department on Friday will host a celebration open to the public to signify the beginning of its new $20 million athletic facilities — an Indoor Practice Facility and an Academic and Training Center.
The construction represents the university’s most aggressive athletics facilities initiative since the building of Moby Arena and Hughes Stadium in the 1960s. The projects represent the dawn of a new era in CSU athletics, and university officials view them as a significant step toward allowing Colorado State to reach its stretch goals, established by the Board of Governors:
- Achieve a No. 1 ranking in the Director's Cup, a ranking system that reflects overall program success;
- Annual Bowl Championship Series inclusion; and
- NCAA men's and women's basketball tournament participation.
In addition to growing scholarship resources and building its endowment, the new facilities are a major priority in the athletic department’s campaign for excellence.
Friday’s festivities begin at 1 p.m. on the outer south concourse of Moby Arena, overlooking the softball field and ongoing construction of CSU’s new Academic and Training Center.
The celebration will recognize those who have donated to the campaign to construct the new buildings, as well as remarks from President Larry Penley, CSU Board of Governors president Doug Jones, Kowalczyk, and Head Coach Steve Fairchild.
About the Academic and Training Center:
|Size:||Approximately 16,000 square feet|
|Location:||Southeast of the McGraw Athletic Center|
- Training portion includes a state-of-the-art weight room, strength and conditioning offices, a nutrition center and restrooms.
- Academic center features five private tutorial rooms, large study areas, a computer lab with 30 workstations, and offices for CSU's academic staff.
About the Indoor Practice Facility:
|Size:||66,267 square feet|
|Height:||65 feet at its tallest point|
|Location:||East of the Moby Pool and north of the Student Recreation Center|
- Contains a 70-yard synthetic-turf football field (including one end zone).
- Features a four-lane, 70-meter track and a unique shoe-changing room adjacent to the football field.
- Gymnasium easily encloses a regulation basketball court and two half courts.
- Volleyball configuration can accommodate two full-length courts.
- Has flexibility to allow the softball team to set up batting cages on the football field.
- Will provide shelter for any student-athlete in each of the Rams' 16 varsity sports.
- Includes training room, equipment storage, lobby and trophy display case, and restrooms.
- Uses an innovative air circulation system.
CSU Fall Camp Notebook: Practice No. 17
The Colorado State Rams held their 17th practice of fall camp on Friday morning at Hughes Stadium...
New stadium Indoor and Outdoor Club seating...
The Athletics Development department at Colorado State University reported this week that the...
Preview: Rams Open the Season With Pair of...
CSU to take on Denver and Colorado in road games, along with Special Olympics Clinic on Saturday
Campus community comes together for Ram Welcome
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Nearly 200 student-athletes and coaches from 14 of Colorado StateR...
Show your true colors: Get Your Green On every ...
Fridays are about to become green days in Fort Collins – and beyond.
CSU Athletics Announces New And Improved Cam's ...
The club is tailored towards young Rams fans who want to show their Green and Gold pride and...
Men's cross country chosen first, women's...
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Colorado State cross country squads have received significant...
CSU Fall Camp Notebook: Day 13
The Colorado State Rams held their 15th practice of fall camp on Wednesday morning at Hughes...